a upsetting visitor

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty

Reaction score
I've been seeing more and more people lately buying horses who are not prepared to care for one whatsoever.Where the heck is the planning here and why oh why do people think they can run out and buy a horse and not provide? Over the weekend I had a visit from someone who purchased a minature at the auction. They went there only to look and came home with some stud colt and guess what? They don't have a place fixed up to keep him so they got my name from who knows where and came here in hopes of renting pasture space for some ten bucks or so a month. In your dreams Pal.

They have the colt tied to a broken down car and said they cannot afford fencing at this time. Really? These brainiacs bought a horse and have no fence. Lovely. So now of course there is no shelter with that either, no feed or water buckets so they are using a kitchen pot for water right now. There's no food yet or hay but they are taking him on walks for grass.How nice of them. Needless to say they don't have a halter or lead rope and are using clothes line for both. Perfect! And when I notified them we have no local vet who can work on horses, it didn't seem to bother them and they weren't worried about a farrier either; probably because they don't want to hear about care. And oh, they got him mostly for a lawn mower,and to help plow up their garden, but think that won't work out now. Gee ya think? That's why Sears was invented last time I checked.

I don't have a problem with newbies who get in over their heads and want to learn and apply themselves. Bring it on, help is here But I don't have much patience left for this idiot stuff at all. I felt sorry for the colt so I sent them down the road with a halter, rope, old buckets and two bales of hay and a brush, and a list of phone numbers to call for boarding. The education I gave them has probably has gone out both ears.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I am a newbie, but I am absolutely floored by the people you just had to deal with. What in the world? Before I got a mini I went and hung out, at a local ranch, that had a couple ponies and bigger horses. Didn't do much with them, but watched and asked a lot of questions about caring for a horse. I then went and searched for a place to board her, BEFORE I even went and looked at a mini. I had it all lined, up, before hand. I may be learning some training that I hadn't thought of, but I'm out there trying, and she is getting everything she needs. I drove 45 mins., one way, to get the feed her previous owners feed, as our area doesn't carry it. And when she needs more, I will do the same again. I don't get people who just buy on impulse and have no clue what they just got themselves into. I don't blame you for being on your soapbox...I'm right there with you!

MyMiniGal - you are to be commended...and you are rare! There are so many who buy a mini for the "instant gratification" because "oh they are so cute and I just gotta have one." REALLY?!?!? What makes them think they are sooooo entitled??? And I've seen some real idiots up close first hand. I was at an auction years ago up in WI - really NICE stud colt went through the sale at a very low price. He was a diamond in the rough and afterwards was REALLY kicking myself for not getting him...after I saw the complete flippin' morons that bought him. I was leaving and see them trying to load him into the back of a pickup truck - that had NO sides and LARGE holes in the floor. I asked them how they intended to get him home in that - and they said they would "3-point tie his halter so that he couldn't move his head". At which point I told them if they put him on that truck I would call the police. I ended up hauling him to their place for them. Facilities were decent and the other animals looked like they were in good shape, but WHERE ON EARTH were their brains about transporting?!? (If the facilities had been a dump, I would have tried to buy him away from them.)

Marty, that is an unfortunate story that occurs in numerous variations all too frequently. I am all for getting new people involved with equines (and I realize there is a certain learning curve involved; kudos to anyone making an effort to educate themselves) but the ones like those in your story are nearly insufferable sometimes. Though it occurs with all breeds, I think this happens more frequently with minis because people can haul them home in their car so they figure if they didn't need a horse trailer to haul it home they don't need any other horse supplies either!
default_frusty.gif
"It's so cute...all it needs is love, right?"
default_frusty.gif

CMHR got a mare in that's been tied to a tree, maybe for years. The halter marks are in her face. I don't know but maybe its reaching that when you buy a bird, you buy a cage and bird seed. When you get a kitten, you by kitten chow and a litter box. When you buy a puppy, you get puppy chow. So what's the difference when you buy a flipping horse for the lovapete????????? You buy supplies! ugh.

Like I said, if you are a newbie, I'm here for you day and night but gosh darn it, have common sense.

I can now say (4 years later) that we could have been better prepared, but we were far better prepared for our first horse than that poor thing you encountered yesterday. When we picked her up, I had every supply I could get my hands on. Our barn/fencing wasn't ready but we were able to temporarily board her at the neighbors. We worked that out BEFORE agreeing to purchase our filly. We had already decided that if we couldn't get this particular part of our plan setup, we would move on to another horse. It worked out well for us, thankfully.

I cannot fathom what goes through some people's heads, I really can't. I see some things now, from people who should know better, that has me just sick at times. I've tried to politely give some guidance/suggestions but it's like I'm talking to a wall.

What is also very frustrating is when people come on here, appearing to want information in order to do a better job, but after some give and take, it is clear they have NO intention of correcting their behavior or care practices....all they were looking for was validation of some (in my opinion) really DUMB ideas. Those are the ones that are probably the most frustrating of all because they want to appear to be caring, but in fact are the total opposite.

It's amazing how people can think a horse even though little is no big deal as a pet

We have been fortunate that all of our past clients have been experienced horse people that know what expenses

it takes and care for having a horse. Maybe not all miniature people but at least they know the commitment in owning a horse

Agree 150%... I've come across some very clueless people regarding horses... This is one of my BIGGEST pet peeves... Couldn't have said it better.

As a kid growing up, I read everything I could get my hands on about horses... went to riding stables, neighbors, etc. to learn everything I could about horses. Finally got my first one when I was 48 years old... Still, however, before getting my first mini in 2007, I went to several Mini farms, even flew out to CA (I was living in Denver) and learned about their behavior, etc. before I bought my first Miniatures....

I also studied dairy goats for almost two years before I got my first Nigerians... I really have no patience for those people who come to me without preparation... I sometimes expect them to ask me which end to feed!

This is by no means dissing those who honestly want to learn and ask intelligent questions before making a committment...

Kari

I can't believe the morons that think horses are like lawn ornaments that you don't have to take care of. It's not as severe, but my uncle bought a horse (total newbie knows nothing) and he does absolutely nothing with the horse. All they do is pet it and feed him treats, not to mention the horse is completely disrespectful. I've tried helping so many times but every time I try my uncle thinks I'm undermining him and treating him like a child, no matter how much I try to help him. His daughter ( my cousin ) has tried working with the horse under my supervision but she gets lost and fed up fast. If I had the money I would love to buy this horse off of them. I knew the horse before they bought him, and by no means is this a beginner friendly horse, he needs a lot of work. Not to mention the horse is severely obese and not being worked.

I'm really sorry to hear that. I don't even have one yet, but I'm doing all that I can to learn about them. I've read some books, watched videos and I've been volunteering at two local horse rescue groups. Today I got to work with former racehorses, some taller than I am (I'm 6'2"). My step-mom had 5 horses growing up and she's been quite adamant that I don't want one due to all of the work they are, but it seems like the more I work with them the more I like them and the more I want to have one in my life.

Transportation does seem to be a bit of a logistical issue... I do feel that a two horse trailer or stock trailer would be a bit excessive, but I don't really know for sure. I've looked at livestock boxes as well, but it seems to me that building a pen inside a commercial van would work best. I wouldn't imagine trying to put a horse in the back of a pick-up truck like that with no support. That just sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

Last year during the fall I had a very nice couple who just purchased land pull up out front to see if I had any minis for sale. I didn't, but we engaged in conversation like normal people. They wanted a "baby" mini for their two year old child to grow up with. Guess what I did? Talked them flat out of making the purchase of any horse completely. Once I gave them the grand tour and showed them what was involved with time and money and all the responsibilites they changed their minds in a heartbeat and realized they were about to screw up and get in over their heads. I suggested riding lessons for the child when she's a bit older. They came back during the holidays to see the decorated barn and pet the horses and that was enough for them. Had they stopped somewhere else, I'm sure a sale would have been made and they would have regretted it. We're friends now.

Oh I have refused to sell to many a person, and I am absolutely certain I am not the only one on here that has done so. The heart rending thing is you know darn well those people will go down the road (well, on the Internet anyway) and find something else. They will either be talked into paying over shed loads of money for something that is half dead, full of lice and really too young to be weaned so it looks smaller than it is, or they will go to an aucti0on and pay two cents for something that, like your visitors, they will end up tying to a tree. I was asked at an auction to take a foal home for someone- I refused at first then thought maybe that was not very helpful so I agreed and found, guess what? They were going to put the foal in the coal shed! No bedding, no food, nothing. I made them clear out their shed and luckily had a bale of straw in the trailer- I had some hay, enough to last her the night and they got that too and a list of what they needed, they had no halter just a bit of rope that I tied into a rope halter for them as I had nothing better with me. The man did say they could take her down the road to his brothers in the morning and I just had to hope they were telling the truth. When they said the coal shed I flat out refused to unload her and said I would just take her home with me- I did not need a pony foal but then, neither did they! Three months later they rang to ask if I would buy her as the kids showed no interest as she was so wild. But, of course, even though she had run in the filed (thank goodness) at his brothers for three months and had not been caught as was, in fact, not catchable, she was suddenly worth five times as much as they paid for her and he thought I ought to pay it as she was "able to breed" This was a yearling, unhandled, 40" filly and chestnut to boot (my least favourite colour!). I told him I would pass- I would have given him back his purchase price which I think was about $50, just to get her out and use her as a "project" but I was not giving him a profit. I have NO idea where these people keep their brains, I really don't, but I just hope some of your words went home, Marty. Maybe they will sell her if she becomes a nuisance....

Last edited by a moderator:
OP: It was kind of you to at least try to send them down the road with the bare minimum... but sorry, I would have called the county animal control (part of the county sheriff's department) without hesitation. AND the Dumb Friends League. The thought of so many horses living in conditions as bad as concentration camps is heart rending. At least a badge and gun enforce in their minds the gravity of what they have taken on (or NOT taken on!). Nauseating. Literally.

We have refused to sell a puppy to more than one... we have a stringent application process and match the personality of the puppy to the person and family. We have talked many people OUT of buying a dog as well.

Good grief, I boarded ours at the breeder until I had build a fine (small, but fine) barn, the best fencing I could come up with, researched hay and feed, talked to our vet who has an equine practice along with small animal and who has good experience with minis.... and believe me I still felt unprepared. When the Dumb Friends League investigator came out prior to placing Sam the donkey, it was a short visit... she was thrilled. I STILL FELT UNPREPARED because the front pasture is not yet fenced.

And then I hear about minis tied to a tree.... OMG. Lord have mercy. Because I wouldn't. My gosh I can't even throw away game meat without feeling I've betrayed a covenant with that animal... OK I'm ranting...

Quick story for the other view.

When I went to buy my first mini, I had had big horses on and off for several s years. I went to look at one in particular and the guy was willing to sell him to me. However, while there I spied a really nice mare that I would have liked. He wouldn't sell her to me because he I had no experience, didn't yet show much, and didn't know how to drive (he felt she would be an excellent driving horse). She did become a really competitive CDE horse for the lady that took her But she since been sold to someone that isn't as good and the mare, I've heard, is not in good shape. As for me, I now drive and have 2 National Champion driving horses. You can't foresee the future.

Sandee, it sounds like all along you are and would be a great owner who would do far more than basic care.... worlds of difference between the OP's situation and yours! In fact, seems like your situation makes her point.

Good gracious - there should be a law against selling a horse to such idiots!

I've had alot to learn about the handling of our minis but I had nice stables and a fenced paddock ready waiting for them when they arrived and made sure I knew what type of horse meal to give them with their hay and had a vet and farrier sorted too...

Those people don't care whether they're prepared or not because that poor wee horse is just a living breathing lawnmower to them.

Disgusting creatures (the humans).

Unbelievable. I grew up with horses but never had to worry about the care much other than getting them ready to ride or bring in the hay from the field. My parents took care of the rest. So I was not a newbie to horses but a newbie to ownership when I started "window shopping" thinking it would still be a while before I found "the one". Well, it happened quicker than I thought. Made a deal with the owner that I would pick him up in 3 weeks. Built 800 feet of fencing during that time (300 of which was privacy fencing... In 100F), bought some round pen panels to set up under the big oaks to be able to contain him if needed and provide shade. Built a stable before the bad weather/winter and found him a girlfriend (my mini) which I set the stable up for/divided it before even going to look at her.

In hindsight I know I could have been better prepared also but my horse's ever had to go hungry (I will drive 1.5 hours one way if that's what it takes to get their feed or hay), never had to wait longer than 6 or max 7 weeks for a farrier (and I've had to deal with 3 farriers bailing out on me but I will move a mountain to find a good one!) and always got the best vet care until my credit card exploded.

I have talked non horse people out of the crazy idea of getting a horse for all the wrong reasons. And some reasons are almost laughable if it wasn't so insane to come up with them in the first place.

I just give them a run down of the amount I've spent in the past 2 years, the work that's involved and the restrictions (vacation etc) that come along with horse ownership. That usually works.

Latest posts

Back