A Tribute to Nut Creeks Gun Powder..He was a Grand Ole Gentleman..

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockin r

Reaction score
His story is a sad one
default_no.gif
.. When my dad and I first started in miniature horses in September 2002, all of us (Mom, Dad, Art and I) went to a near by town to look at a mare that was for sale registered as AMHA. None of the horses there were A size, in fact they were all grade with papers (out grown their papers). The "ranch" as they called it was a disgrace a total horror story. As we were telling her that we were not interested in the mare, we caught a glimpse of something black tied to a tree standing in water in the distance. At first I thought it was dog, till my curiosity got the best of me, because he was not barking, which seemed odd. So I went to check him out. OMG!!!!! It was Gunny.
default_no.gif
He was tied to a tree on a lead that was wrapped around and around till he could not move. He was standing in a stagnant mud puddle that was 5" deep where he has urinated and defecated for who knows how long. My dad and Art came over to see what I was doing, as I was trying to get him untangled. They stopped in their tracks when they saw him. The so called owners of him said that he had "Mare Itis" and he had gotten in this condition from sreaming at the mares 24-7. And that they had to keep him at a distance from the mares so he could not see them. He had no shelter from the scorching hot September sun. His feet looked like elf shoes, and he had a 4"x 6" area on his neck that had turned into a callouse where they had been giving him shots of Penn. with the same needle that had a burr over and over and over again. We guessed his weight to about 125 lbs. We left and decieded that we would call the authorities, but not before we took Gunny with us. I called our vet, it was after hours and on a Sunday. Told him of Gunnys condition, and he said to bring him to the office. We went back to the "ranch". They thought that we were there to buy the mare. When I said no, I was interested in the little black stud, they told me that if I did not "BUY" him that a brother was going to shoot him that evening OMG!!!!!!!!! It was obvious that he was not going to make it much longer. I asked if they would give him to me and let me try to make his final days peacefull. They said HE77 NO! Nothing in life is free!!! I asked what they wanted for him, we paid their full asking price. Then they had the gaul to say that they wanted one more breeding from him ! My dad said lets go. He knew that I had seen and heard enough from these people. Art pulled the trailer up as we were finishing untangling him. He was so weak he could not walk, he kept falling down. Art picked him up and carried him to the trailer. We always have blankets in our vehicles, so we padded the floor for him to lay on. They came over to the trailer and said here is his Penn. and needle. It was then that I lost control and told them that they did not deserve to own animals and to stick their Penn and needle when the sun did not shine and a few other choice words. I rode in the trailer with him to the vets office. It was a 45 minute drive. The smell that came from him was awful, like rotting flesh. He laid so quitely with his head and neck on my lap. I "balled" all the way to the vets. The vet came did what he could for Gunny for the night. As he was examing him, he found that he had chewed through both of his cheeks. He filed off 2" of his back molars, that was what the rotten smell was..He weighed him...Are you ready for this?? 95 lbs.!!!!!!! I wanted to take him home with us, but because if his condition, we were afraid he might have something and give it to the other horses. I wanted to stay the night with him, but the vet said that I could'nt, insurance reasons. So we stayed with him for as long as we could. We got him settled in for the night, the vet said not to expect a miracle. But he thought that he would survive the night. Dad, Mom and I got there before the vet opened. When we walked in he was alive! He stayed at the vets for 9 days. It was 6 weeks before he was strong enough whinney a true whinney. It was a long hard road for Gunny. He had severe trust issues. We knew that he would be with us till the end, not to many people would tolerate his behavior. But the way I looked at it, it was the only behavior he knew to survive. The people that we bought him from said that they could not find his papers but had his Reg # and "signed" a transfer. After time had passed and we knew he would make it, I tried to get his papers and get him put in my name. After meeting with Mr. Davenport at Nationals in 2003, it was found out that the people that we bought him from did not legally own him! They had him on lease. The "Owner" of Gunny had passed away. I got owners phone number and called. Talked to her son, he did not care what happened to Gunny and did not want him back. And that after his mom passed all her horses were taken to auction. He said his mother loved her horses and they were all loved and well cared for. That she would roll in her grave if she knew what had become of Gunny. Apparently his mother has passed several years ago. That the people that had Gunny had him for a long time and they had forgotten about him. And he did not know where Gunny's papers were. I said fine, I just wanted him to have her horse back if he wanted him. So Guns has been with us for the last 7 years of his life. We bought him on September 10, 2002 and he passed peacefully September 12, 2009. I am sorry Gunny that you had such a horrible life with such a horrible, wretched human. I can only imagine what it was like. I wish that we knew of you sooner. You reminded me that patience, understanding, forgiving and trust is what the bond is between a horse and their human. I will miss your white star that had turned silver, and your once lifeless eyes that shinned as you greeted me everyday. The way you gimped across the pasture from arthritis..You took a piece of my soul with you as crossed the Rainbow Bridge. I am terribly sad and crying that you are gone. But I am also extremely happy and joyous that you have no more physical and mental pain. You are now truely free. I hope that you were happy with Art and I, and knew that we loved you and cherished everyday that we had with you. Good bye my gentle soul. You are now in Gods good grace, where you will be forever safe and loved.....

Edited to add: 9-14-09

I wanted to add here what REO posted. These people were the ones who had their little mini foal who died stuffed, made into a rocking horse and tried to sell it on EBay.. MONSTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I thought that Gunner and I had worked through our anger together. Apparently I was wrong. I was soooooo angry that he had passed sooo soon. He lost many more GOOD years of his life because of his treatment and starvation. Thanks to all who have replied. I get very attached to the ones who come to us in need and needlessly pass to early. That look of hopelessness in their eyes burns a hole in my soul.
default_no.gif
default_no.gif
But, we all know there is not a one of YOU that would not have done the same for any animal in need. Rita....I have seen alot of staved horses when I lived in South Fla. voluntering for the ASPCA. Guns was by far the worst..Godspeed Gunny, YOU DEFINATELY EARNED YOUR WINGS!

This is the day we got Guns... Sept. 10, 2002

Gunny09-02-09-2.jpg

Gunny09-02-09.jpg

Last fall...

IMG_8918.jpg

IMG_8946.jpg

IMG_8941.jpg

A few weeks ago..

BeeMirandaCricketregistrationpic-6.jpg

UPDATE 11-17-2009

Gunny's stone has arrived!!!! I wanted to update on the original post so those who were at Nationals and Worlds who might have miised this post will know why this stone was donated to him....I am still waiting on permission from the wonderful Angels who made this possible to publish their names and Farm name. It is beyond beautiful!!!!!! We are going to put it on his resting place under the Mulberry, where he loved to be.....Here he is, Never Forgotten, Our Guns.........

GunnysMemorial2.jpg

GunnysMemorial3.jpg

Gunnysmemorial.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
His story is a sad one
default_no.gif
.. When my dad and I first started in miniature horses in September 2002, all of us (Mom, Dad, Art and I) went to a near by town to look at a mare that was for sale registered as AMHA. None of the horses there were A size, in fact they were all grade with papers (out grown their papers). The "ranch" as they called it was a disgrace a total horror story. As we were telling her that we were not interested in the mare, we caught a glimpse of something black tied to a tree standing in water in the distance. At first I thought it was dog, till my curiosity got the best of me, because he was not barking, which seemed odd. So I went to check him out. OMG!!!!! It was Gunny.
default_no.gif
He was tied to a tree on a lead that was wrapped around and around till he could not move. He was standing in a stagnant mud puddle that was 5" deep where he has urinated and defecated for who knows how long. My dad and Art came over to see what I was doing, as I was trying to get him untangled. They stopped in their tracks when they saw him. The so called owners of him said that he had "Mare Itis" and he had gotten in this condition from sreaming at the mares 24-7. And that they had to keep him at a distance from the mares so he could not see them. He had no shelter from the scorching hot September sun. His feet looked like elf shoes, and he had a 4"x 6" area on his neck that had turned into a callouse where they had been giving him shots of Penn. with the same needle that had a burr over and over and over again. We guessed his weight to about 125 lbs. We left and decieded that we would call the authorities, but not before we took Gunny with us. I called our vet, it was after hours and on a Sunday. Told him of Gunnys condition, and he said to bring him to the office. We went back to the "ranch". They thought that we were there to buy the mare. When I said no, I was interested in the little black stud, they told me that if I did not "BUY" him that a brother was going to shoot him that evening OMG!!!!!!!!! It was obvious that he was not going to make it much longer. I asked if they would give him to me and let me try to make his final days peacefull. They said HE77 NO! Nothing in life is free!!! I asked what they wanted for him, we paid their full asking price. Then they had the gaul to say that they wanted one more breeding from him ! My dad said lets go. He knew that I had seen and heard enough from these people. Art pulled the trailer up as we were finishing untangling him. He was so weak he could not walk, he kept falling down. Art picked him up and carried him to the trailer. We always have blankets in our vehicles, so we padded the floor for him to lay on. They came over to the trailer and said here is his Penn. and needle. It was then that I lost control and told them that they did not deserve to own animals and to stick their Penn and needle when the sun did not shine and a few other choice words. I rode in the trailer with him to the vets office. It was a 45 minute drive. The smell that came from him was awful, like rotting flesh. He laid so quitely with his head and neck on my lap. I "balled" all the way to the vets. The vet came did what he could for Gunny for the night. As he was examing him, he found that he had chewed through both of his cheeks. He filed off 2" of his back molars, that was what the rotten smell was..He weighed him...Are you ready for this?? 95 lbs.!!!!!!! I wanted to take him home with us, but because if his condition, we were afraid he might have something and give it to the other horses. I wanted to stay the night with him, but the vet said that I could'nt, insurance reasons. So we stayed with him for as long as we could. We got him settled in for the night, the vet said not to expect a miracle. But he thought that he would survive the night. Dad, Mom and I got there before the vet opened. When we walked in he was alive! He stayed at the vets for 9 days. It was 6 weeks before he was strong enough whinney a true whinney. It was a long hard road for Gunny. He had severe trust issues. We knew that he would be with us till the end, not to many people would tolerate his behavior. But the way I looked at it, it was the only behavior he knew to survive. The people that we bought him from said that they could not find his papers but had his Reg # and "signed" a transfer. After time had passed and we knew he would make it, I tried to get his papers and get him put in my name. After meeting with Mr. Davenport at Nationals in 2003, it was found out that the people that we bought him from did not legally own him! They had him on lease. The "Owner" of Gunny had passed away. I got owners phone number and called. Talked to her son, he did not care what happened to Gunny and did not want him back. And that after his mom passed all her horses were taken to auction. He said his mother loved her horses and they were all loved and well cared for. That she would roll in her grave if she knew what had become of Gunny. Apparently his mother has passed several years ago. That the people that had Gunny had him for a long time and they had forgotten about him. And he did not know where Gunny's papers were. I said fine, I just wanted him to have her horse back if he wanted him. So Guns has been with us for the last 7 years of his life. We bought him on September 10, 2002 and he passed peacefully September 12, 2009. I am sorry Gunny that you had such a horrible life with such a horrible, wretched human. I can only imagine what it was like. I wish that we knew of you sooner. You reminded me that patience, understanding, forgiving and trust is what the bond is between a horse and their human. I will miss your white star that had turned silver, and your once lifeless eyes that shinned as you greeted me everday. The way you gimped across the pasture from arthritis..You took a piece of my soul with you as crossed the Rainbow Bridge. I am terribly sad and crying that you are gone. But I am also extremely happy and joyous that you have no more physical and mental pain. You are now truely free. I hope that you were happy with Art and I, and knew that we loved and cherished everyday that we had with you. Good bye my gentle soul. You are now in Gods good grace, where you will be forever safe and loved.....
This is the day we got Guns... Sept. 10, 2002

Gunny09-02-09-2.jpg

Gunny09-02-09.jpg

Last fall...

IMG_8918.jpg

IMG_8946.jpg

IMG_8941.jpg

A few weeks ago..

BeeMirandaCricketregistrationpic-6.jpg

Thank you

LIldrumemr

What a beautiful story. Im so glad he found you guys and spent his last years so beautifully. Bless you for caring and taking him

Kay

That is a beautiful story and brought tears to my eyes. God bless you for taking him home and giving him a wonderful place to live out the rest of his days. I'm sure these past 7 years have been the best of his life. Thank you for sharing Gunny with us.

Barbara

That post has tears rolling down my cheeks and a lump in my throat the size of a grapefruit. Theresa when you were fighting to keep Dreamer going I knew you and Art were special people. Gunny's story definitely confirmed my opinion. God Bless You!!

Run free in the Rainbow meadow Gunny.

OMG - how can people be so cruel? I'll never understand it.

Theresa, thank God for people like you and Art. Because of you, Gunny had 7 wonderful years of life. I know your heart is sad, but you know he is running free with no pain now.

RIP Gunny!!!

Barbie

I think it is really amazing when God sends us where he knows that we are needed. You were meant to go save Gunny. Thank you for being one of those that listen to their inner voice. You did an absolutely wonderful job of making this little black horses last years comfortable and full of love and lots of food.

God bless all.

I am sorry he had to leave so soon.

Oh my Gawd. I sure hope people that are that cruel to something that can't fight back, get something similar done to them. It is not fair. And happens way too often.

I am sorry you lost your friend. Congrats on doing the right thing for that poor guy.

Theresa and Art,

I am so sorry that you lost Gunner. Those pictures show just about the worst case of starvation that I've ever seen. How fortunate he was for you to come along when you did. I think he probably thought he had died and gone to heaven back in 2002. How great that he had seven caring years with you. My heart goes out to you.

Rita

God bless Gunny! He ended his life with care, food, and YOUR LOVE...... God bless YOU for giving him those last happy years.......

Your story should be posted as an example of the STUPIDITY OF HUMANS...... :arg!

I am so sorry you lost Gunny, he looked so good when I was there last month, you would never know he was that old and had been in such horrible shape.

He knew he was loved and you probably gave him the best years of his life. He is running free now and in no more pain.

Mary

I'm speechless--except to say thank you for turning this poor little guy's life around. God bless people like you, and I'm so very sorry for the loss of your beloved Gunny. May you find comfort in knowing you made the last 7 years of his life so wonderful!

default_bye-sad.gif
Rest in Peace, Gunny.

[SIZE=12pt]I'm so sorry to hear about your special boy passing on.... Thank you for sharing your story with us and letting us see just how special he truly was. [/SIZE]

My God honey, why didn't you tell me?? Yes, I know. The pain is too sharp to speak for a while. I'm SO sorry! I know you and Art will hurt and that Gunny will live on in your hearts forever. I've heard the story several times and I shake with anger and feel sick each time. But I never saw the photos before. OMG! He was blessed to spend so many years being so loved by you! I know he was happy! He was a grand ol gent. He runs free now!

If you need me, I'm here. {{{{{HUGS}}}}} to you and Art
default_wub.png

Umm this was the same "one" who had her brother stuff and mount her dead mini foal as a child's rocking horse and tried to sell it on eBay. Some of you here may remember that?

Theresa and Art,

Bless your hearts for taking Gunny in and loving him so much the last years of his life. I get physically sick when I see what some people do to their animals. You are such special people. I just don't know what else to say. You are both angels here on earth! HUGS!

Back