A SPECIAL THANK YOU

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Linda K

Reaction score
Well, we made it back from Ada Oklahoma this past weekend. It was a nice turn out of people and horses.

Although it was very HOT, everything seem to run smooth. Erica took nine horses, and both she and my niece , Clementine showed. They both done extremely well, but I will let Erica say which horses won what.

What I would like to do is thank a family who helped us out soooooooo much. The Cotter family of Shawnee Oklahoma. I think their farm is Minis & Kids R US. Here is what happened...................

We arrived on Friday, late afternoon. Unloaded everything, got things set up and horses all feed and watered. Most all of our stalls were on concrete as were the walk ways in between the rolls of stalls. Stalls were made of the rolled metal, (like cattle panels are made of ) and the bottom half were made of wood, that were freshly painted. I personally went through the stalls and sprayed them and made sure no wire or anything was in a stall so a horse could get hurt. Ericas horse buckets have the rubber tips on them .

Well, we went to eat , then Erica went back to the arena to check the horses before she called it a night. All was fine. Saturday morning she gets up and goes to feed while Clementine and I get ready at the motel.

Erica calls me all upset, Ballerina, one of her mares has sliced an eyelid... bad. She called the three vets listed on the wall , but only got an ansewer from one and he really didnt want to attempt sewing up an eye and preferred her trying to find someone else
default_wacko.png
By now Erica is in tears and doesnt know what to do. While she is on the phone with our vet, here in Arkansas, hopeing he knows someone in Oklahoma that can help, the Harrisons, who are good friends of ours and are also at the show, come to get Clem and Me at the motel.

I arrive at the arena and Erica is still not getting an ansewer from the vet who works on horses and she is very upset now. The show is about to start , I am trying to get her ready,tears rolling down her checks , when someone comes up to us and says...................."Hey, there is a vet here, maybe she can help".

Its Mrs. Cotter.
default_aktion033.gif

She and her husband come over to see Ballerina, and she offers to try and stich her up
default_yes.gif

Her husband offers to go get some things she needs, while Mrs. Cotter gets her child ready for the show.

Erica calms down, I help get the horses ready for the day, trying not to look in Ballerinas direction. I dont want to see it. All I know is there is flesh hanging down.

Ballerina is a little high strung , so it took quite a few meds. A very nice lady helped her, (sorry cant remember her name, but I talked to her quite a bit afterwards) and Jay Harrison helped hold Ballerina so Mrs. Cotter could do her magic.

Let me just say , Mrs. Cotter could not have done a better job. She took her time and treated Ballerina like she was one of her own horses. She was determined to do as good a job as possible , AND SHE DID !

The next day Ballerina went ahead an showed.........................

She won all of her classes, under both judges, won all her champion classes under both judges, and went back at the end of the show to win supreme under both judges. That tells you what a great job Mrs. Cotter done.

THANK YOU, does not begin to say how much we appreciate all she done for our Ballerina. Thank you to everyone who helped out .......... but especially the Cotter family , who cared enough to want to help, and did such a wonderful job.

Linda Killion

This comes as no surprise to me that someone was willing to help you, except how fortunate that someone of experience, such as Ms Cotter was on site. I have heard so many nice things about you and Erica.

You met an older lady that knew nothing about showing at a horse show and without any hesitation started helping her, in between having your own horses to do. (That was me...Ha!)

I firmly believe that what goes out will come back...good or bad.

But yes, this was an exceptional caring thing Ms Cotter did and a big thankyou to her. Thanks for sharing such an inspiring story of human goodness at work. This world needs more good news stories.

I felt so bad for Erica Saturday. Mrs. Cotter did a great job on BAllerina's eye . Congratulations!

I believe GOOD things come to GOOD people, GOD has a hand in it.

So GLAD Ericas mare is OK!

Mrs. Cotter
happy0064.gif
happy0064.gif
happy0064.gif
happy0064.gif
happy0064.gif

Over the years, we had three horses rip their eyelids. Two at my former trainers before we all realized it was the buckets (this is years ago) and then DUNIT!!! Here, and we never found what on earth he did it on.

Erica probably already knows how these things heal, but in each of our horses that it happened to, I couldn't even begin to guess now which eye lid it was. They all healed so well.

Ballerina is such a beautiful girl! I'm happy she showed so well and got all fixed up. I can't imagine how distressing it would be to be there without being able to get one of the posted vets to come out. Definitely not something the average owner can self treat. Thank goodness for Mrs. Cotter being around!

Cindy did such a great job of sewing Ballerina's eye up
default_yes.gif
, it already looks marvelous and other than the stiches you can't tell anything happened.

Yes not a drop of blood in her stall, have no idea what she did, but the top eyelid about 1/4" up was ripped over 3/4 of the way hortizontal and hanging. I tucked them in after a late good night check a little after midnight and up and feeding at 6:15, she was calm and just standing when I went to feed, didn't even see if until she turned her head and eyelid hanging down.....could tell it was remotely fresh due to the color (which if I could be happy was happy about)

Of course I want my vet there, so call him at home and see if he knows anyone in Ada that might be good? Knew some in Purcell, but here it is 6:30 and I have 7 horses showing Sat, first one starts showing in 10th class after 8am......I want someone that's able to do a call and come out, not haul a few hours away. Start calling numbers on the list..........no answer, leave messages, call back, no answer, no return calls, finally get one I guess their cell phone, tell him the situation and he responds he would rather me try to find someone else (of course I was like well thanks......I'm 7hrs away from home I don't know who to try?).......ended up he had a reason, I just didn't know it at the time.

By this time Terri and family and mom and Clem are out at the barn........after about 30 mins we remember that Cindy's a vet, and she's here.

She has all the stuff we need other than a few minor things so we call back the only vet I could get ahold first and he says he'll give us the stuff we need, and he's sorry he couldn't do it but he just had one of his own horses pass that morning and was waiting for the backhoe to arrive.

So now it's almost 8 and I have horses out getting them ready and start showing.......Cindy comes and sedates Ballerina.......yes she's a tad hot, had to do it x3, Jay (Terri's husband) helps keep her still while I'm in and out of the ring.......but it gets sewed up perfectly. Swelling (mainly from the lidocain) progressivily went down through the day on Sat and by late that night no swelling at all. I looks so nice. Ballerina's one tough cookie as well, as not once did she ever act like it hurt, squint it shut, rub or anything.

Yes Ballerina went onto win under both judges

1, 1 Ammy mares over

1, 1 Youth halter mares over

1, 1 Aged mares over

Sr. Champion Mare x 2

Grand Champion Mare x 2

Champion of Champions Over x 2

Youth Champion of Champions x 2

Other than being a 100+ degrees (and I mean ++++) and the drama listed above it was a great weekend, the heat was starting to get to the horses.......but they showed when asked to and then stood in front of their fans the rest of the time in their stalls.

TKO -

1,1 ammy stallions under

1,2 yearling stallions under

Jr and Res. champion Stallion under

Grand and Res. Grand Champion Stallion under

Champion of Champions Under

Handsome-

1,1 ammy stallions over

1,1 yearling stallions over

Jr. Grand Champion Stallion over x 2

Grand Champion Stallion over x 2

Prankster-

1,1 two year old stallion over

Gambler -

1,1 ammy geldings over

1,1 two year old geldings over

Jr Grand Champion gelding over x 2

Grand Champion gelding over x2

1,1 youth geldings over

Tank -

1,1 ammy geldings under

1,1 yearling geldings under

Jr. Grand Champion gelding under x2

Grand Champion gelding under x 2

1,2 youth geldings under

Dream -

1,1 ammy mares under

1,2 yearling marse under

Jr Grand and Res. mare under

Grand and Res. champion mare under

1,1 youth halter mare under

Rock On -

1,1 aged classic stallion under

Sr. champion classic stallion under

Grand and Res. Grand Classic stallion under

Destiny also went to his first show driving (2 weeks pulled out from breeding mares, not in training though as he had several months last year......but first time ever at a show)

and he went Res. in Stakes with 15 in the class

Clem made her first appreance driving,with Tecate, only been able to do two lessons with him with Larry (who is great with her) and she got a 1st and 3rd! she was excitied.

Im sorry to hear about Ballerina, she is a beautiul mare and im sure Cindy got her fixed up good
default_yes.gif

Congrats on all the show wins too, all very much deserved
default_aktion033.gif

I had heard someone had gotten hurt at the show, I am so glad she is alright now. Thanks to Dr. Cotter! congrats on all your wins!!

It was a little exciting around your stalls Saturday morning!!! I'm sorry we weren't around to help hold something. Mike did tell me later-much later, "I think something happened to one of Erica's horses because she was looking for a vet this morning."
default_wacko.png
(Mike, we love you!)

Anyway, I'm glad Cindy was there to work her magic, and congratulations on a great show!

Terri just sent me a picture she took of Rena....

showing beautifully even after having to deal with everything the day before

ballerinashow.jpg

Now you know what we okies go through trying to find good vets around here!
default_wacko.png
Oh and for the record, I was born and raised in Oklahoma and Ada, OK has to be the HOTTEST place in the state!!!!

Congrats Erica on all the wins!
default_aktion033.gif
All of your horses are beautiful!
default_wub.png

Yep...I am 20 miles from Ada and I think my Vet is one that is on the list. Getting him to return your call b4 8:00 am........
default_no.gif
If he remembers to forward his office phone to his cell and I beg and cry he will call back. Don't think he doesn't hear about it.......he has told me to just fire him.........but he is an excellent equine vet and only 3 miles away. In the vets defense, they should be notiflied of the event ahead of time. I know mine is never aware of it, when I mention it to him.

I happy it ended so well...actually better the way it went.

Congradualtions........wish I could have been there! One of my little mares decided she would finally give us a baby boy.

Latest posts

Back