A show next week for us...and future show hopes

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mercysmom

Reaction score
This has been the worst winter for me ever... had major depression issues (it's a chronic problem for me and has been for years - Mother Nature or the great Creator created me with parts leftover on the shelf and sometimes they just don't work)
default_yes.gif
that required more meds and counseling and sunshine... and in upstate NY in winter we don't see a lot of it.

Decided early on that I am holding off on knee surgery #5 to repair what is left of my ACL so that I can work and show... last summer's knee surgery ended up being 2 surgeries and a nasty staph infection (that the doc said could have killed me) and I had a PICC line from my right arm to my heart from July to October for the antibiotics I needed... tough to experience (coupled with the depression and type 1 diabetes but I believe I am too tough to die just yet). My work review was stellar except for the problem with the knee surgery - my boss was understanding but her higher-ups are making her toe the line.

Fuel prices being what they are, I chose to take some time for me and do what I love best - service work with Mercy and showing. We had to borrow a truck and trailer to get Mercy to her latest service event and a tire exploded (not due to Mercy's winter weight gain - she was on the opposite side of the huge stock trailer - ironically, the same truck and trailer that brought my late Belgian Liberty to me) but we made it there and Mercy delighted many spectators with her painting ability - she loves to paint with her nose and she made a bunch of paintings to help the humane society where we adopted Libby from and our pot bellied pigs, Fern and Cider.

First show for us is the NYS Horse Breeders but instead of minis, Weatherly, my Morgan is going into the ring. It should be humorous as I haven't shown a big horse in, um, 16+ years and never in hand.... and Weatherly is as green as they get but she was so good for me tonight with the clippers....

She has not shed her coat out all the way and I hate to give her a full clip as she will be "pale" and what has come in of her natural summer coat is black as black can be and oh-so shiny...yet she has spots on her that make her look like an eggplant...
default_new_shocked.gif

I grabbed my clippers, expecting the worst from a green two-year old and she was so good for me - I trimmed the "eggplant" colored coat by going with the nap of her coat and she just stood and watched me, giving me a nuzzle every so often. I also took care of her ankle "feathers" and she was good for that, too. She had her pair bond buddies (Enterprise the Morgan and Nefertiti, my high-octane Modern Shetland) with her, watching what I was doing and it was the most stress-free clipping session I have ever had with any horse.

No guarantees we will do well in the ring but I feel if she listens to me and can be a lady and trust me, we will certainly be on our way!

And, cows must be giving beer as my seven-year old mini, Freedom, is now jumping willingly at home. For her, I think it was a maturity thing and to see her give it all she has, of her own free will, makes me optimistic for a new generation to follow in Mercy's footsteps! Time will tell when we get to a show, but I feel we are finally working together. It is tough when you have an equine prodigy who performs well early on and then have to work with normal horses but I am enriched by the experience and am still and always will be the perpetual student.

I am so lucky to have horses willing to teach me....
default_yes.gif

Denise

Silversong Farm

Sounds like you have a lot of interesting and fun things going on. When are the first shows?

Weatherly and I show this coming Thursday morning at Horse Breeders in Syracuse... I am saving Neffie for Area One for the Modern classes in July and if Freedom continues to be as willing as she has been, she will do Area One, too.

Mercy heard the clippers and took off... I will see what happens when Weatherly leaves on Thursday morning... she may change her mind. She is still happy with her service work... she knows she is the "star" and eats it up.

The World Show is also very tempting...since I have not done a competition like that.
default_yes.gif

Denise

Silversong Farm

default_smile.png
:)
default_smile.png

I may be at the July show as well. Debating do I want to fool with the bridge on 4th of July weekend... I've been debating it just this morning and H said "whatever you want to do." If I'm there, I look forward to meeting you in person, Denise!

default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

Karla - I lok forward to seeng you and your daughter again...

Jill, hope you can make it down and I look forward to meeting you - you can't miss me with my red hair (last week's dye job to hide my grey came out too BRIGHT - looks like I lost a fight with a tomato truck. Ben has offered to fix it but my boss likes it - she said it is very 'me' and the kids at school know how to find me since I glow like a beacon! :DOH! ).

Freedom has had incidents of stage fright where she would not enter the ring for jumping or obstacle (yet she will do liberty and halter classes without a second thought
default_gaah.gif
) so if you see a redhead with a loud bay pinto stuck at the gate, that would be me. Guess Freedom figured she'd give me the gate before the judge even had a chance to!

Nefertiti is my Modern Shetland and she is a bright bay - can't miss her as she sounds like a steam locomotive with all the blowing and snorting she does. She was really naughty at the last Area One so I am hoping with maturity, time and ongoing training, she can be a lady.

If Mercy comes along, people have called her "that fat black and white horse that can really jump." In Mercy's defense, six babies can really ruin one's figure....
default_biggrin.png

Denise

Silversong Farm

Depending on how I feel between then and now, I will be a heavy set blonde or brunette with Sunny (silver bay mini quarter horse gelding senior A), Bacardi (golden palomino big senior B gelding), Flirt (silver buckskin 2yo mare), Blue (grey A or B yearling gelding) and DunIT (grey-grullo super ego A senior stallion -- not sure there's room in the trailer for him and his self confidence)
default_biggrin.png

Is the premium list out yet? I got mine for the June show but not the July one. I'd just be showing in halter, maybe model and maybe color if it's convenient to when the halter happens.

default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

Karla - I lok forward to seeng you and your daughter again...

Jill, hope you can make it down and I look forward to meeting you - you can't miss me with my red hair (last week's dye job to hide my grey came out too BRIGHT - looks like I lost a fight with a tomato truck. Ben has offered to fix it but my boss likes it - she said it is very 'me' and the kids at school know how to find me since I glow like a beacon! :DOH! ).

Freedom has had incidents of stage fright where she would not enter the ring for jumping or obstacle (yet she will do liberty and halter classes without a second thought
default_gaah.gif
) so if you see a redhead with a loud bay pinto stuck at the gate, that would be me. Guess Freedom figured she'd give me the gate before the judge even had a chance to!

Nefertiti is my Modern Shetland and she is a bright bay - can't miss her as she sounds like a steam locomotive with all the blowing and snorting she does. She was really naughty at the last Area One so I am hoping with maturity, time and ongoing training, she can be a lady.

If Mercy comes along, people have called her "that fat black and white horse that can really jump." In Mercy's defense, six babies can really ruin one's figure....
default_biggrin.png

Denise

Silversong Farm

Last edited by a moderator:
Is the premium list out yet? I got mine for the June show but not the July one. I'd just be showing in halter, maybe model and maybe color if it's convenient to when the halter happens.

I have not seen the prize list yet but did get the June show...still debating if I may drag Freedom to that one to attempt to get in the halter obstacle and jumping ring. It has been too easy to depend on Mercy as she is a "point and go" horse who knows her job and she figured it all at a very young age. Freedom is probably a more realistic horse and "normal" but I have hope as I have made some scary jumps with tarps over them, hay bales, a sled as a "water jump" and she is taking them all in stride... something she has never done before.

I just know, she HATES doing the hula hoop in obstacle classes - she hears the rattle of the hoop if she nicks it and she falls apart at the seams. I have a hula hoop that was dismembered thanks to some fancy footwork on Freedom's part.
default_wink.png
That will be this weekend's practice.

Denise

Silversong Farm

Latest posts

Back