A reminder about the Equine Dental meeting in Texas

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony

Reaction score
Any of you who can make it, I wanted to remind of the meeting:

There is going to be a Town Hall Meeting on April 22nd

at 7:00pm at the Sheraton-Austin

701 East 11th Street

Austin , Texas 78701

This meeting is being held by the Institute For Justice.

It is very important for ALL Texas horse owners to attend

this meeting to have your voice heard on this Equine Dentistry issue.

Please attend this meeting.

Carl Mitz

PS Please pass this info on.

Tony, I won't be able to make it to Austin.........only one here with two mares that are about to pop. Is there anyway to add my support for Carl and other equine dentists without being there? Wish they would accept electronic petitions.

Any of you who can make it, I wanted to remind of the meeting:

There is going to be a Town Hall Meeting on April 22nd

at 7:00pm at the Sheraton-Austin

701 East 11th Street

Austin , Texas 78701

This meeting is being held by the Institute For Justice.

It is very important for ALL Texas horse owners to attend

this meeting to have your voice heard on this Equine Dentistry issue.

Please attend this meeting.

Carl Mitz

PS Please pass this info on.
The meeting must be going on as I write this. Tony, when you have time please let us know how the meeting went.

Thanks

Ditto, wish I could be there... Carl is our dentist here.....

Updates please Tony!!!

Just a brief update - the meeting was very well attended with mini and big horse folks alike. Four additional equine dentists have been added to the lawsuit, and the IJ attorneys are very confident they will eventually win this. They are opening an Austin branch, so it sounds like we will be well represented. As it progresses, they will be filling us in on the kinds of support they need from horse owners - contacting our representatives, writing letters, etc. This may be a Texas issue at the moment, but it is being discussed in a number of other states, and if it hasn't come up in your state odds are it will sooner or later. What happens here in Texas will have an impact on the way the rest of the states address it.

Jan

Just a brief update - the meeting was very well attended with mini and big horse folks alike. Four additional equine dentists have been added to the lawsuit, and the IJ attorneys are very confident they will eventually win this. They are opening an Austin branch, so it sounds like we will be well represented. As it progresses, they will be filling us in on the kinds of support they need from horse owners - contacting our representatives, writing letters, etc. This may be a Texas issue at the moment, but it is being discussed in a number of other states, and if it hasn't come up in your state odds are it will sooner or later. What happens here in Texas will have an impact on the way the rest of the states address it.

Jan
Thanks Jan for the update.

To add to what Jan posted, currently there are indeed a number of other states that are watching the Texas situation closely so as to start down the same road Texas is presently on once the dust settles.
default_no.gif

It appears it is going to a very prolonged fight with these people, but there is a few signs of hope. We have been promised that the IJ will keep us informed as to the best way for folks to combat it at the appropriate time. Timing is critical according to them so as to keep this in front of the legislature when it is session and moving towards a solution.
default_yes.gif

One note that I found very interesting is there are rumblings that the next place the V-board will move is toward the chiropractors and other trained/experienced lay people many of us use. if this happens it will severely impact not only the mini industry, but any place that horses are used in strenous competition such as racing, harness, CDE etc. etc.
default_wacko.png

As far as I am concerned inspection, floating and the other services that are offered by our equine dentists are only a livestock managment service such hoof trimiming, foaling etc that we all use and make decisions about every day. Thoses services are allowed, but the lay denist is not. I personally believe that it is only because there are a few vets that are interested in the income that can be derived from this action. With no thought of the overall ramifications to our horses health and well being. :DOH!

The pitiful part about it is that if it is allowed to happen it will impact the small farms much more than the large farms. And that is not right from any angle that you look at it.

Latest posts

Back