A question on cavaletti's

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joylee123

Reaction score
Could someone who does in hand obstacle class tell me how far apart cavaletti's are usually set for minis? and how far apart the ground pole are set when you make an "L" for the "L" turn?

Thanks,

Joy

Joy-

I admit to not having read the most recent AMHA rulebook, nor the AMHR one, so I'd recommend checking whichever or both you want to compete under for any guidance, but at least w/ AMHA, I don't recall there being any 'specified' distances. That said...when I was designing courses,I would walk and trot my obstacle horse where I could then measure the stride at each gait, and set the cavalleti/ground poles at the distance of the stride...or at a good average of several horses' strides, as measured.

As for the L...generally, the closer together, the tougher to complete successfully! Realistically, seems that @ 22-24" inside distance was fairly 'doable', taking it down to @ 18' inside to inside made it a tougher, more 'advanced' course.

Just my experience...

Margo

For walking we set ours at 14" and for trotting 24" when we are training horses for the Thursday Kids.

Latest posts

Back