A question for show managers

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sanny

Reaction score
Once a date is posted for a show and the show manager contact info is listed is it possible to request classes be added to the show schedule?

I am talking about classes that are offered at Area shows and at Nationals but we don't usually see at smaller shows.

I am wondering about Youth classes. Many shows just have one class that includes all youth under 18 and I am wondering about dividing it further like Area shows and Nationals do with youth classes for 13-17, 8-12 and 7 & under or even just offering 13-17 and `12 & Under if they don't want to offer all three age breakdowns.

Obviously there are time constraints and budget considerations but I am wondering if it is an option that would be considered if show managers were contacted before the class list is published and what it would take.

What about a farm sponsoring those classes and/or providing awards for it?

Mary,

It depends, usually the rule is if it is sanctioned you cannot add anymore classes and have them rated. But I noticed this year almost all Area VI shows were able to add classes in and they were rated. I know Jeanne B. was able to add some classes for the Area VI National show in Winona.

Best to be proactive though, if you know the shows you attend, contact the club now and get your wish list in. I know several clubs are setting their preliminary class lists this month.c

Once your show and show bill are approved and printed out you cannot change your class list.

However that said if you have exhibitors that you know are going to enter a class then yes I as a show manager will do my best to makes sure those classes are there for you to enter. Of course if you are talking a small show it is a bit harder to split up the youth classes

I think if your local club is putting on a show there is no reason why you can not ask the show manager say in Jan or Feb to please add a class to their show bill prior to sending it in for approval from the office.

Mary

It is best to contact the shows you would like to attend ahead of time and put in your requests. I manage the ASPC/AMHR Club of North Texas Shows and we offer all the age break downs. Go and look at that class list or write me and I will send it to you.

After showing this year in Area VI to me there is enough youth that show that I would not see it being a problem to break the ages down. My kids this last year were that way also. Whether you are qualifing for Nationals or not with the breaks then more kids can show one horse especially the little ones.

After my shows are santioned I do not like to add classes but if the club wants a class added then I can get it added. I would not recommend adding SEVERAL classes.

Best thing to do it get with the clubs or managers that do shows and request all this ahead of time.

Tracey

Mary,

Come on down to Texas! We do offer the youth classes split, 7 & Under, 8-12, 13-17. Yes, sponsorship will help. To give you a rought idea, I figured it up once using two judges to six places for the cost of the ribbons. Depending on where they are ordered from it can run anywhere from $22-$26 for 1s-6th place ribbons for two judges per youth class. Go take a look at the ASPC/AMHR club of N. Texas show premium list. This will give you a good idea of how our show is set up and how the classes are split.

www.aspcamhrntexas.com

Now is the time to work with those show managers with show premiums for 2011. If you want something added that wasn't in a previous show premium by all means tell them you will sponsor or better yet get three entries (guaranteed) and then those classes will start filling. Yes, you still have to buy ribbons even if the class doesn't fill, but I do a percentage on my ribbons and have done so for years so it works for our club.

Karen

The Bluestem Miniature Horse Club offers all the break down by age in our Youth Halter Classes too, 7 & under, 8-12 and 13 - 17. We also offer $35.00 unlimited entry so everyone bring your kids to Lincoln, Nebraska June 3-4, 2011 and we'll do all we can to help you get qualified on the cheap! www.bluestemminihorse.com

Others may remember this too, several years ago the AMHR said we had to have Show Management sign a letter that stated we had showed if we were using a show as a AMHR National qualifier and the show dates were close to Nationals. Here in Nebraska our state fair was such a show, it seems really simple but it was actually kind of a hassle! Show management gets busy, exhibitors are busy enough without having to get a letter written and signed. It just did not work as simply as it may sound so I hope we don't go that route again on making the exhibitor provide documentation of what/when/who has showed.

Jacki Loomis

[email protected]

The Iowa Miniature Horse Club show had the youth classes broken down and also got a very nice Thank you from one of the exhibitors that attended . He said it was the best show he had attended for the youth and he was not from Iowa either.

I don't know ANY show manager that would turn down an offer to sponsor a class or provide prizes for a class/es! Most are often actually begging for sponsors!!!

I think that if you know the shows you would like to see have the extra classes, you should contact the show manager from this year and see if the classes can be added and also ask why not if they say no. If it is a sponsoring issue then you could offer to help find sponsors or sponsor them yourself. Most managers I know would try to work with you. I would do this soon because putting a show schedule is a huge job and usually tackled no later than the end of the year by most managers.

Boy you hit on a pet peeve of mine, most of you know that we have 10 grandkids and 7 of them show. When we are picking out th shows we will attend each year we sit down with the goup an ddecide which ones ot go to.

If they do not offer the splits by age and in most cases a chance for the kids to compete for a champion of champions or supreme youth class (even though that is unsanctioned) it goes on the B list of shows that we will only think about attending if we are not filled up with A list shows.

Normally when we go it means 6 - 12 horses go and that is a fair amount equal to a trainer in a lot of cases.

In the past we have ask the show managers to add them and in most cases they will. Lea Dill at the Tunica AMHA/AMHR/ASPC show did, The North texas club offers them and so have the Greater Houston AMHA club. We made all of them. I can't remember if the San Antonio show did or not.

In my opinion it is highly worthwhile to keep these kids involved and going they have a lot of other options of what to do with the little spare time they have and I would think we need to as the adults in the industry encourage them and make the classes avalible to them. Just my one sided take on it. I know we have tons of classes, but youth are the lifeblood of this industry and anytime you can get the kids involved Grandpa adn Grandma's money and time go with it.

Back