A question for show folks

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joylee123

Reaction score
Hi there,

This year I am showing several horses. I was wondering if you could tell me or better yet, show me what you use(and how to attach)to separate horses in a stall so you can put two in a stall? Stalls are sooo expensive and I'd rather have the money for classes
default_yes.gif

Could you guys give me some tips please
default_rolleyes.gif

Thanks!

Joy

Yes you are correct, stalls are expensive, but I put my mature, senior horses in their own stall, simply because most are feed aggressive and I don't need the extra hassle at the show. I have put two weanlings in the same stall, but make sure they like each other first and put them together at home first to make sure there aren't any problems.

I have seen some people at the shows put two senior horses in one stall together and use a sheep panel in the middle. The one person that I saw install this panel using a hook eye screwed in the back wall and then they secured it with tie wire. They used a hook eye in the front but tied it with twine so it could be used as a gate.

I personally would suggest to spend the extra money on stalls and save yourself the worry of one getting in with the other and one of them getting hurt, just my opinion.

Yes you are correct, stalls are expensive, but I put my mature, senior horses in their own stall, simply because most are feed aggressive and I don't need the extra hassle at the show. I have put two weanlings in the same stall, but make sure they like each other first and put them together at home first to make sure there aren't any problems.

I have seen some people at the shows put two senior horses in one stall together and use a sheep panel in the middle. The one person that I saw install this panel using a hook eye screwed in the back wall and then they secured it with tie wire. They used a hook eye in the front but tied it with twine so it could be used as a gate.

I personally would suggest to spend the extra money on stalls and save yourself the worry of one getting in with the other and one of them getting hurt, just my opinion.
Thanks this is the info I was looking for;

default_wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:
We do it with the panels, but only with horses that are used to each other. Just to keep them from arguing over dinner.

We also use the panels to make the stall into a tack stall/horse stall combo. That also saves on $$ and since neither Lotto nor Sunny bother stuff, it works really well. Plus since I sleep in the barn at shows, I share the stall with Sunny. Air mattress on the floor fits perfect and still room for Sun-man to get out. And he does not bother us at night at all.

My horses are no problem when stalled together. I just feed one in one corner and feed the other in the other corner. One thing I did find out was that one of my mares does not like to be stalled at all and she goes in circles when I am not there. IMO if horses are pastured together, they can be stalled together. At least mine can with no panel between them.

I do both, split one stall into a horse/tack stall combo and occasionally separate two horses if the stall is extra large. The price of that second stall is really a killer for me but Kody is extremely territorial and he will beat the snot out of any male horse above the age of weaning that tries to share a stall with him. If I separate them, then neither horse has any room to move and both have health conditions that require freedom of movement if I want them comfortable the next day. So since they can't share the stall without a divider, and a divider makes it too small...Kody gets a stall of his own and Turbo gets 3/4 of a stall with my tack shoved in the remaining corner behind the door. I bought a nice heavy steel telescoping divider from a local welder so I don't have to screw things into walls and damage the facilities, I just brace it in one corner, expand it out to the other corner and tighten the locking screws. It stands up on a cross-brace in the middle. When I need to get the horse out I loosen the locking screw, slide the gate back and walk the horse right out. The boys have learned they can push it forward with their shoulders if it isn't braced in a corner so I would have to tie it in place if I wanted to split the stall horizontally instead of diagonally. (There's a second stand/cross-brace I can add when setting it up that way.) With Kody's aggression I didn't dare use anything lighter like PVC or a sheep panel because I figured he'd bull right through it and then there'd be real trouble.

The bonus of separate stalls is that neither horse freaks out when I take the other away but of course they're bored and lonely overnight when I close the main stall door so they can no longer see out. I let them switch stalls at least once a day so they can sniff poop and try to take them out grazing to give them some social time together.

Leia

Last edited by a moderator:
Just FYI our fairgrounds would have a fit if someone put an eyebolt through their vinyl stall walls.

I agree, the extra cost of the individual stalls IMO is worth it in the long run. I'd rather pay an extra stall fee than a vet bill because they decided to duke it out at night.
default_rolleyes.gif

Thanks for the imput all.

Thanks Leia I will try and find something like your talking about. The horses I will stall together get along fine. One is just a pig and I'd rather have them separated. So just wanted to know what people did and used to set up a divider.

Thanks.

Joy

I bought mine from Pat McGinnis at Lymerick Farm. I'm sure I can find and post a picture if you'd like.

Leia

Leia mentions an excellent point; most facilities do NOT want you poking holes of ANY sort into their stalls, etc...and odds are, the sponsoring organization may well be charged for such damage. So, not a cool thing to do.

Leia, I'd like to see photos of your 'divider' panel! I'm always interested in a good idea... ;-)

Margo

Yes, Leia I would really like to see it if it's not too much trouble
default_aktion033.gif

I agree Margo
default_yes.gif
I would not want to damage facilities. I have always stalled seperatly as I usually only show two or three at a time. This year we have seven. Several pasture together and several are stalled right next to each other. Just wanted to see how folks that do it, do it.

Joy

Latest posts

Back