A question for any judges on here...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

susanne

dB
Reaction score
Since I'm still new at showing, I want and need all the feedback I can get, so I'm constantly asking questions here, bugging poor Liz (Nootka -- who has been incredibly helpful) and others. I study photos of my horse in the ring and after, and I watch other horses and handlers to learn all that I can.

I would love to get feedback from judges when I show, but I don't want to pester them when they're busy or (worst of all) come across as "Why didn't my horse win?" On the other hand, when I've seen a judge after the show or on break, I figure they are enjoying a well-earned break and I hate to bother them then, too.

Is there a polite way and time to ask a judge for feedback regarding my horse and how I am handling him?

I'm not a judge but I believe you may approach any judge with the show managers approval. Usually when the show is over. Hope this helps.
smile.gif

I'm not a judge either, but I have learned from many QH and open shows that most judges won't answer your questions about a class until after the show is over. It has something to do with it being unethical to be talking about placings and competitor's horses while the show is still going on, or something to that effect.

Most judges are happy to chat with you after the show, assuming they aren't late for their plane. Walk up to them, introduce yourself and ask if they have a minute to talk about your horse. NEVER say "why did you place such and such". That is a challenge. Instead ask them how you and your horse can improve for the next time. That is an ego stroke. If they don't appear to be receptive to conversation, thank them for coming out to your show and wish them a safe trip home.

That said, remember that they have just stood on their feet for 2 or 3 days and have looked at literally hundreds of horses in various classes. Unless you really were conspicuous they probably will not remember you or your horse. But, if they do, most will be happy to talk to you. Thank them for their time.

These are people too. Some are even mini owners and trainers. Get to know them because if you do this very long you will see them again. I had a judge tell me one time "I seldom remember a face but I never forget an butth...". He is a crusty old codger but I like him.

smile.gif

Susanne,

I'm in the same boat....

I;m not usually around when the show is over,

so that's out...

I have managed to talk with a few judges this year.

The first one clearly didn't remember my horse LOL oh well...

The second one was concerned that I was alright (my bratt colt reared an bopped

me in the mouth...)

The third time, the Judge VERY politely asked to speak to me....

He said he has a pet peeve.... (OMG- what did I do??!!!) He doesn't

like long ponytail covering exhibitor number... especially if he

really likes your horse!!! WHEwww (we got a 1st
smile.gif
) )

I did politely ask a Judge some questions at my last show this year.

He was showing in that show and not judging but had judged at my previous show.

He was very polite, seemed happy to answer my questions and was

really encouraging.

Actually, I've gotten the best feedback from friends that watch my classes.

And I was lucky enough this year to have a friend stand by an help

coach me (when I remembered to look at her!! hehehe)

Good Luck! You have a nice horse that looks to be in really

nice condition. Keep at it!!
smile.gif
)

Sandy

Thanks, everyone!

Sandy, thanks for sharing your experience and for your compliments on Mingus. I want to show him to his best advantage next year, firing on all cylinders, so to speak, so that I'm not left wondering "what if..." (of course, it's my nature to second guess myself and pick apart what I've done, so I guess I'll always ask that!)

Everyone has answered your question already, but since you specially asked me, in your post topic, I'll also respond. We, as judges, cannot speak to you during the show. However, once the show is over you are free to ask any questions you like. I realize you're not always around until the end of the show. You can call if you would like, at home, but you have to realize that it might be a little hard to remember one specific horse or class and we'll do our best to answer your question. Someone in this thread mentioned having clinics and using judges for those clinics. Wonderful idea and I have done it many times. I have talked to our local club on the "judges perspective" and what it is that I look for and how I judge. This gives people a lot of insight. I'm a trainer and exhibitor also, and I have had clients/friends want me to stand at the rail and critique a halter or driving class. This helps them learn what I'm looking at and what I penalize for. Please remember that we're people too with opinions... and that's what you pay for and get, our opinion! When you present a question to a judge please do so in a thoughtful, kind manner. I have been approached and felt slightly attacked when the "questioning" was over. It can make a judge feel a little defensive. So, if you ever show under me and have a question, please come see me after the show.

This is where the Schooling Show is very helpful.

The judges, inevitably, do offer helpful tips (even some do when we're not at Schooling Shows. I know that you and I both have shown under him this year. Myself more than once. He may be gruff about it, but I can see his point in most cases). The clinics themselves help to see what's wrong, etc.

Have someone videotape you and your horse in the ring, and so you can watch it later. Tape the whole class and compare your horse to the winning one, etc. so you can see maybe what the judge is seeing or not seeing.

I think, ultimately, if your horse is well-built, nicely groomed and you can get him to stand to present himself when the judge is appraising him, you have a good chance.

They will look past minor problems in those cases (for example, ponytail covering exhibitor number, etc.) and determine their best horse of the class.

Liz M.

Judges really for the most part don't bite
biggrin.gif
I know when we were showing rabbits it was extremely helpful to talk to the judges after they finished...sometimes they remember your entry sometimes it takes some reminding but we always got wonderful tips and things to work on and explanations for why they placed a class the way they did.........heck we even asked one time why our entry won
new_shocked.gif
when in my opinion there was a better entry that day...the judge told me the other entry was just plain "off" and was not showing to it's full potential...and our entry was fit polished and begging for it......that conversation taught me more than any other about showing
wink.gif
wink.gif
attitude is everything
wink.gif

start with a good animal add lots of great care...enter with a great attitude(person and animal)...and occasionally walk away with a big huge rosette
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Latest posts

Back