A question about home-grown eggs

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KanoasDestiny

Reaction score
Ok, actually I have several questions for those members who have their own chickens.

1. I live in the desert, where temps can get up to 118ish. Even with collecting eggs daily, I worry they may spoil before I can get them?

2. We've cooked 6 of our own eggs so far, and 2 of them have had blood in them. Is this common? I'm refusing to hard-boil any of them. If we give eggs away or start selling them, I'm worried people might freak out if a lot end up having blood spots.

3. Do you sell your eggs? If so, how much do home grown eggs go for per dozen/18-count?

I'm sure I have more questions, just can't remember them right now.

The blood spots are a just a cosmetic thing, they look less appealing but won't affect the usefulness of the egg. I can't offer any information on how well they will keep at the temperatures you live with tho, we struggle more with them freezing (at this time of year)so I will leave it up to someone from a more similar climate to answer that. As for selling I usually just give mine to family/friends but if I sell I get 2.50 a dozen. To find out what they sell for in your area you can check out a local farmers market or what we call the "Bargain Finder' paper to see what others are selling them for. Prices will vary by region.

I live in the desert with high temps- we used to have chickens- collected them every evening and never had an issue. My neighbors, who have had chickens for a zillion years, do the same. It's not like the eggs are laying out in the sun, and they would be pretty warm if they were still in the chicken, LOL

I don't sell our eggs. I enjoy giving them away to friends. Eggs here can go anywhere from 4.00 a dozen to 8.00 a dozen for certified organic. These are home raised eggs. Also eggs here from home providers have to have plain boxes or you have to mark off the USDA stamp. If you're considering selling eggs (even a small amount), you need to check your state and local laws cause you'd be surprised at some of the regulations.

I believe my grandmother would put her eggs in water to determine if they were bad or not, which would help ease your mind before eating/selling. I can't remember what would happen if they were spoiled but you could probably look it up, if it really does work, that is.

Thanks guys! I doubt we'll sell any but my husband was asking me if we were to, how much they go for and also if the blood was common.

I seem to remember something about putting an egg up to a candle to see if it had blood inside or something like that. Wish I would have paid more attention now. Lol

Candling could help with the blood spot.

In my experience, a hen that lays such an egg never gets better. In commercial production, that hen would be removed. Once in every dozen eggs or so, I see a small red spot from my two hens. It's so small I don't bother. In the past, I've had eggs with a quite large spot.

I used to crack my eggs into a seperate dish, just in case I saw a spot. Then I could fish it out with a spoon. The hens I have now I don't bother, as they are 99% fine all the time.

We are hot here also. I didn't worry about it if I collected eggs every day. If it gets left overnight, however, in the heat I would purge it. A couple of times I left them in the horse barn when it was hot and forgot to bring them in with me at night. Those I purged.

I hadn't known about the tendency to have red spots being hereditary; that is good to know.

Did you resolve your bully problem?

When a pullet begins to lay her body will on occassion throw out some tissue that is similar to "cleaning" the pipes. I've found maybe two pieces of a gray like spot of something in two. If lood spot was small and not daily, I'd say due to newbie layer. 8 hens began laying this yr, first egg on New Yrs day
default_thumbup.gif
Now, I've been getting 7 or 8 most days, occassionally only 6. I am LOADED with eggs!!!!! I love the hens but, we just don't eat this many. I've given some away, provide dtr & gr dtr with all they can eat and got another 38 in the past 5 days,

A friend has a beauty shop and will let me put them there to sell. $2.50=$3. normal like that or home. But at a market it's closer to $4. Some farms closer in town have customers drive in and buy.

Oh, have all barred rocks and while eggs were small first week they have increased over this past 6 wks to nice sized large/med brown eggs. Have one who likes to do double yolks couple times a wk. They will end up laying large brown eggs in a couple more months. I will sell some, just to offset the feed costs. I do free range and that cuts back some but I still feed layer crumbles to be sure they are getting all they need through the winter. Our winters are not normally severe but, can be in Jan Feb. Today was 63, tomorrow night predicts snow.
default_whistling.gif
My plum tree is starting to bloom!! Hyacinths and daffodills are several inches.....

If you put an egg in a large bowl of cold water and it sinks, it's good. If it floats, it's bad.

Latest posts

Back