A Plausible Solution to AMHA's problems

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Gary...I agree 100% with your well thought-out solution to our on going problems. What a great concept...hold people accountable for their actions! If we had something feasible like this in place I do believe it would bring about some order to our current system.

Gary, I also commend you for having the courage to be our "Wyatt Earp" One who is in the line of fire... taking countless shots all for the betterment of our Association.

AMHA is such an amazing amassment of fantastic people and fantastic horses and, has brought forth much joy to our family over the years and the memories have become such precious gifts...with saying this...I feel such sadness for our beloved organization to have become so shattered in these times.

I also, think it needs to be said...that we do need to commend ALL the hard working people who make up our association..our praiseworthy directors, committee members, etc...God Bless you...I am sure by now you may be tired...please don't give up..we need you greatly!

Perhaps, we need to look at all this as a postive time in our organization...sometimes some stirring can thicken the pot so to speak...and,make us stronger! Perhaps, we will all look back on these tumultuous times as a precursor for greater things to come.

Thank you again Gary for all your hard work and vigilance on this matter and others...I have no doubt that our beloved AMHA will emerge soon stronger and thriving!!!!

I do believe it is time to converge...I have faith...How can I help??

Loyal AMHA member,

Lisa

Last edited by a moderator:
Gary...I agree 100% with your well thought-out solution to our on going problems. What a great concept...hold people accountable for their actions! If we had something feasible like this in place I do believe it would bring about some order to our current system.
Gary, I also commend you for having the courage to be our "Wyatt Earp" One who is in the line of fire... taking countless shots all for the betterment of our Association.

AMHA is such an amazing amassment of fantastic people and fantastic horses and, has brought forth much joy to our family over the years and the memories have become such precious gifts...with saying this...I feel such sadness for our beloved organization to have become so shattered in these times.

I also, think it needs to be said...that we do need to commend ALL the hard working people who make up our association..our praiseworthy directors, committee members, etc...God Bless you...I am sure by now you may be tired...please don't give up..we need you greatly!

Perhaps, we need to look at all this as a postive time in our organization...sometimes some stirring can thicken the pot so to speak...and,make us stronger! Perhaps, we will all look back on these tumultuous times as a precursor for greater things to come.

Thank you again Gary for all your hard work and vigilance on this matter and others...I have no doubt that our beloved AMHA will emerge soon stronger and thriving!!!!

I do believe it is time to converge...I have faith...How can I help??

Loyal AMHA member,

Lisa
Thank you Lisa!

We have talked a number of times in the past and I know you are VERY passionate about this industry!

I also appreciate your involvement with my pet project, the Performance Committee.

Speaking of the Performance Committee. It is interesting how many (very many) of the AMHA members, whether they be amateurs, trainers, breeders, volunteers (on committees), directors or even just owners, look at the association from their perspective. And by that I mean they do not feel that anyone else could have a valid concern, if different from their's. I am not pointing fingers here or there, just making a statement that I feel allows the CONTROL that permeates our industry.

LisaF keeps asking how she can help and what we can do, as many of you do. Taking the time to be involved is the only way we can ever break this cycle (I feel that this was Ronnie's concern). I recently told Ronnie that I was running for director (you have to be on the BOD one year before you are eligible to run for the EC) and that I felt certain people on the BOD would "stand up if they had someone to stand behind". His reply was in all caps and read GOOD LUCK.

My last post here (before leaving to Central Regionals) asked anyone who wanted to get involved and who might want to make a difference to email me their phone number. So far I have heard from exactly ZERO people.

This coming National meeting in San Diego is pivital.

We will be electing a completely new slate of officers and many of the old ones are no longer eligible.

Think long and hard about coming to this meeting. I have heard from many memebrs that this may very well be their last. If we free ourselves from the agendas and control we can finally start to fix our problems and then maybe grow. Without growth we are doomed to extinction. I know many people in this organization have mixed feelings about trainers but Ronnie's comments should be viewed as prophetic. Much of the fighting and bickering (dissention) arises from the fact that the pool of available (new) clients has shrunken vastly. It is my opinion that because of the "smoke and mirrors" we have not noticed or given attention to the fact that the leaders of AMHA have done NOTHING to attract new members to this association. This could be as simple as not thinking about it (if so we need new leaders) or as heinous as not wanting growth (for a multitude of personal reasons), but it should be first and formost on all of our minds because without growth our value is diminishing. Be that my income as a trainer, the clubs lack of entry fees, the value of the horse you are trying to sell, even the value of your horse property (ever try to sell something "mini" like a horse trailer?). We need LONG RANGE PLANNING. We need a GRIEVANCE COMMITTEE. We need NEW LEADERS....................and we need more people willing to get involved with the running of AMHA.

Respectfully

Gary Barnes

Gary - Grievance Committe ftw!!! The only problem that I see with that is if it's voted on by the Membership at the Annual Meeting and the annual meeting has at best 100-150 people, the same people that go every year - can't you just see the faces that are going to be populating that committee? The same ones that keep each other on their committees/EC now. Hmm . . . I do hope that many of the people that really want change will make the effort to attend the meeting in San Diego. It's penciled in on my calendar now . . . I will tell you though honestly, after nine years of seeing what happens with AMHA and AMHR - staying UN-invovled is very appealing. I admire you ability to stick your neck out Gary and wish you the best with getting elected and the Grievance Comm.

Ronnie - I was a bit miffed reading that at first, but then thought - you really are stating what so many already believe. I'm not rich by any means, but definitely could afford to have a few horses campaigned, as I don't enjoy showing at all. My biggest problem, I can't stomach most of what I see at shows. Not that individual breeders don't have 'ethical and integrity' issues but the abuse by trainers, which are the professionals and perceived by the average person as what to emulate as far as presentation, care, etc. goes, it just trickles down.

Why do people think so many trainers are getting their judges cards? It's a business and their source of income - which I have no problem with we all need to make money. But I do have a major issue with listening to the trainers (not heresay I've HEARD this) - 'she better place my horse as I'm judging XXX show that she'll be showing at in a couple of weeks!" "Your horse will measure in, at least it won't need a false mane." "Give your horse to XXX, she always gets a horse to measure in" by soring the horses back to the point it swan dives when the stick is coming down. What does that say as to fair and ethical? I'm not saying all trainers are like that but when you hear things like that or blatent discussions on cheating - its so bad they don't hide it!. When the day comes that judges are picking the horses consistently based on the best horse not who's holding the lead that will be a day of joy for all!

It just disgusts me though to watch the this crap at shows. I'm not saying everyone is like that, but GAWD is prevalent in this industry. (I hear dog and cat shows are worse though - LOL)

Sorry didn't mean to rant about trainers, but if they are perceived as Ronnie stated we really have a problem in this industry - not just AMHA.

Let’s be blunt and face the fact that the majority of members are not financially well off enough to buy the top end horses and the folks that are don’t typically train/show them but hire trainers to train/show so that they can come to the shows and enjoy their investments and meet and socialize with others while the trainers take care of the work. If we did not have these trainers that keep their clientele happy and engaged in the horse world, the market would dry up and the shows would become at best local events and most miniature horses would become backyard pets that would command the price of backyard pets. At that sad point for our industry there would no longer be a need for an association or a president of that association to cast dispersion at the ”trainers and breeders”

I received an email from a member of the Executive Committee regarding part of the following statement made by me. I have highlighted the part in red.

This coming National meeting in San Diego is pivital.We will be electing a completely new slate of officers and many of the old ones are no longer eligible.

Think long and hard about coming to this meeting. I have heard from many memebrs that this may very well be their last. If we free ourselves from the agendas and control we can finally start to fix our problems and then maybe grow. Without growth we are doomed to extinction. I know many people in this organization have mixed feelings about trainers but Ronnie's comments should be viewed as prophetic. Much of the fighting and bickering (dissention) arises from the fact that the pool of available (new) clients has shrunken vastly. It is my opinion that because of the "smoke and mirrors" we have not noticed or given attention to the fact that the leaders of AMHA have done NOTHING to attract new members to this association. This could be as simple as not thinking about it (if so we need new leaders) or as heinous as not wanting growth (for a multitude of personal reasons), but it should be first and formost on all of our minds because without growth our value is diminishing. Be that my income as a trainer, the clubs lack of entry fees, the value of the horse you are trying to sell, even the value of your horse property (ever try to sell something "mini" like a horse trailer?). We need LONG RANGE PLANNING. We need a GRIEVANCE COMMITTEE. We need NEW LEADERS....................and we need more people willing to get involved with the running of AMHA.
First I must apologize for giving the impression that everyone on the BOD (this includes the EC) is bad. That was not what I meant and I personally feel that there are MANY people on the BOD with their hearts in the right place (as I have said before in this string).

Please do not take me out of context.

Mike Want himself pleaded to all in attendance on Sunday at the June BOD meeting to take a long hard look at the BOD to try to figure out who could be on the EC.

As to the statement that "the leaders of AMHA have done NOTHING to attract new members to this association". This is much too much of a blanket statement. Recently, some of the EC felt that the new driving division proposal would do just that. And with their help the BOD approved this new plan. BUT some of the EC were adamantly against it and I believe for all the wrong reasons.

This division has all the right stuff to attract NEW people into AMHA and increase attendance. I cannot think of anything other than this that has been done to accomplish these goals. I realize that time is precious and we are all volunteers. But we need to become functional. We need cooperation, communication, long range planning, etceteras. The problems and dissention are taking up all of this valuable time and causing many GOOD people to quit trying. The BAD people like this and they are winning.

So, hopefully, I woke up some people and I hope I didn't make too many enemies. I REALLY appreciate all of the volunteers involved in AMHA.

Respectfully

Gary Barnes

I would also like to clarify this sentence in blue below:

This coming National meeting in San Diego is pivital.We will be electing a completely new slate of officers and many of the old ones are no longer eligible.

I in no way said that the current Chair of OUR Long Range Planning committee was doing anything wrong. Heck If Frank Lupton hadn't taken the reins it would have probably been eliminated! And that is exactly the problem and why I made the statement. We need to plan, communicate, market and try, I mean REALLY try, to get this organization back to a place where we have a PLAN on how to increase membership and attendance.

Ft Worth Texas is without a doubt one of the largest HORSE INTEREST places in the world. Call it an infatuation of where the west began, or maybe it's because of central location and climate, but it is. Why do our leaders think that it would not be in the best interest of AMHA to market our World show to these horse people? When we moved here 6 years ago, Parker County in 2002 (Weatherford area, 20 minutes West of Will Rogers) had a horse population that was around 3 horses per human. Something like 903 square miles, just over 100 thousand people. This appears that about half or the horses in the state of Texas reside just 20 minutes from our show! Here is a link to the last census published by the USDA:

http://usda.mannlib.cornell.edu/reports/na...ne/equi1999.txt

Notice that texas' horse population is two to three times larger than all of the other states (this info is 10 years old) and has about 90 million in reported sales (of course all horse owners report how much they sell their horses for, right?). Surpassed only by Kentucky which has about one third as many horses but far more profit (they require sales tax on all horses sold).

So why do we not advertise our World Show ?

Gary,

I agree with so much of what you have said. I put a few of your quotes in red that really stood out to me.

We need LONG RANGE PLANNING. We need a GRIEVANCE COMMITTEE

I agree with the above 100%

We need to plan, communicate, market and try, I mean REALLY try, to get this organization back to a place where we have a PLAN on how to increase membership and attendance.

I agree here also - You and others I also hope will remember I am very new to AMHA compared to others. So, I would love to help - I honestly don't know how to do it. So, I guess I need someone to take me by the hand so to speak and teach me some things and I would love to help out.

This I just do not understand - I don't know if you read my post a few weeks or maybe even a couple of months ago. I was asking how do we reach people that do not know about miniature horses. I will post the example from my previous post below

I took one of my miniature horses and her foal to a parade at the elementary school where my nephew goes to school. I do not know of one person there that even knew she was a miniature horses. The mare and her foal were defiantly the most popular of the parade. In fact, my nephew got the award for the most popular pet. Almost everyone asked me how did you find a " pony" so small. Now, I am not saying anything at all bad about ponies. I am just explaining that no one knew what a " miniature horse " was.

Now, this parade was also a costume parade. ( not that I think this matters - just trying to explain the parade).

Now, as I look back this is where I think I failed. I should have had a flyer or something saying what a " miniature horse" was. Also, a business card.

I knew some people would not know what a miniature horse was - but, I did not expect as many people to walk up to me and ask me where I found a " pony" so small.

So, yes - we need to get people at the World Show and somehow advertise all over the USA and other places also.

I still think if we e-mail our directors - we deserve at least a response. It may be - I am not sure, but I will try to find out. etc. I don't like being ignored by my directors.

Gary,
I agree with so much of what you have said. I put a few of your quotes in red that really stood out to me.

We need LONG RANGE PLANNING. We need a GRIEVANCE COMMITTEE

I agree with the above 100%

We need to plan, communicate, market and try, I mean REALLY try, to get this organization back to a place where we have a PLAN on how to increase membership and attendance.

I agree here also - You and others I also hope will remember I am very new to AMHA compared to others. So, I would love to help - I honestly don't know how to do it. So, I guess I need someone to take me by the hand so to speak and teach me some things and I would love to help out.

This I just do not understand - I don't know if you read my post a few weeks or maybe even a couple of months ago. I was asking how do we reach people that do not know about miniature horses. I will post the example from my previous post below

I took one of my miniature horses and her foal to a parade at the elementary school where my nephew goes to school. I do not know of one person there that even knew she was a miniature horses. The mare and her foal were defiantly the most popular of the parade. In fact, my nephew got the award for the most popular pet. Almost everyone asked me how did you find a " pony" so small. Now, I am not saying anything at all bad about ponies. I am just explaining that no one knew what a " miniature horse " was.

Now, this parade was also a costume parade. ( not that I think this matters - just trying to explain the parade).

Now, as I look back this is where I think I failed. I should have had a flyer or something saying what a " miniature horse" was. Also, a business card.

I knew some people would not know what a miniature horse was - but, I did not expect as many people to walk up to me and ask me where I found a " pony" so small.

So, yes - we need to get people at the World Show and somehow advertise all over the USA and other places also.

I still think if we e-mail our directors - we deserve at least a response. It may be - I am not sure, but I will try to find out. etc. I don't like being ignored by my directors.
LisaF

Consider this:

AMHA receives little income (just a couple of dollars per horse shown as AMHA "fees") from showing. Most of the income comes from registrations and hardships (although hardships stop in 4 years they put over $50,000.00 a year in the coffer). They current leaders of AMHA worry only about making a profit.

What this has caused is a drop in showing over the years. I feel that most of the dissention (ie; measuring and protest woes) are because the lack of marketing our shows has caused a decline in available clients. This, in turn, has created the need for stronger competition among the trainers and breeders. Like "fighting for food"
default_wink.png

Of course over time the directors have become weary of all of this dissention which is why they don't respond to the members.

This is why we need a grievance committee.

A grievance committee would take the pressure off the directors and allow them to function in their elected capacity.

LisaF

In regards to your two posts above:

You have a lot of questions. I'm going to answer a couple of them here and then try to go back and do a couple more later.

First know that when I said, "We need new leaders", I wasn't necessarily speaking of the directors. Yea, I know what I just implied! I am secure and I know that most of our elected directors are too. I hope that they don't think I was attacking them. This statement is born of frustration and I am not the only one that is frustrated by the lack of direction. I feel that the BOD has to deal with the "hand they are dealt" and to do so without becoming frustrated shows more fortitude than many of us have. For this I acknowledge their hard work and thank them. Now for another controversial (although completely true) statement:

When Mike Want ran for President (I was there) for the first time in Florida. A member asked the Board how were they going to fix the current problems in the Association. A member(who has held many positions in AMHA) named Sandy Tremont, held up her rule-book and said that the only way to fix AMHA's problems was to follow the rules. Mike Want stood up before the membership and said he agreed, and pledged that he as president, would see that the rules were followed and enforced. He asked the officers and all directors to stand if they joined him in this promise. Every officer and director stood and made the promise to the membership. That was three years ago. We have had some directors come and go since then..........

Do I need to ask here on this forum if this promise has been upheld?

LisaF and Michelle;

I am a trainer (well my wife is and I just ride on her coat tails) and we go to a lot of shows. We also know all of the trainers. Now we train NO halter horses anymore and specialize in driving, but I don't see or hear the things you have purported here. Please, PLEASE, don't think that this is done on a wide scale at shows or by all trainers! And [SIZE=12pt]PLEASE[/SIZE] don't let this keep you from showing, we need all the peolpe that want to show to have fun and appreciate the unique sense of gratification that this aspect of our association provides!!!!!

As far as the LisaF coined naickname of "Wyatt Earp" (you obviously know who I am by my moustache). I am sure you are referring to my statement regarding "taking a bullet". I am a passionate person and at almost 50year old, I have fought a few battles (and am savvy enough to have learned right from wrong along the way). What I am and how I approach this association is a product of what has been done. I am a product of the way I have been treated and the wrongs (as I percieve them) that I have seen. I am not going away just because they attack me or want me to leave.

LisaF

A few answers (as opinions) and more to follow!

I realize some of the quotes I am posting in Blue below you added in a apology thread. I still would like some answers to these questions though.

What is the plan at this time?
There is no plan.

There is no continuity and very little communication.

All of the committees are supposed to be coordinating their efforts through the HUB committee. This is not and has not happened for years. We don't follow the bylaws and until we get leaders in place that make this a prime importance, nothing will change.

I still don't see an answer to the above question.
The finance committee does not feel (I have heard this said in committee) that advertising our World show would be profitable.

Most of the income comes from registrations and hardships
Why was this stopped? Can it be reversed?
Personally I feel that we are not in a "good place" with our breeding programs and this is a BIG mistake. There was not enough attention paid to movement while breeding for halter conformation over the years. Now driving has really started to become popular (in fact performance now brings well over 50% of all the AMHA's show entries) and it is pretty darn hard to find nice moving prospects. We need to be able to hardship under 34" senior horses into our breeding programs, and many breeders are. Remember we are a height registry open to all horses under 34" tall. This is a move to try to establish us as a breed.

Of course over time the directors have become weary of all of this dissention which is why they don't respond to the members.
Gary, I am sorry - but, I do not in any way feel like there is a good enough reason for a director, BOD, etc. to ignore e-mails from a concerned AMHA member. I feel like if they get too many e-mails about the SAME subject and do not have time to respond to all of them. Post the answers on the AMHA website. I think most people read the AMHA website.
The reality of this is that lil' beginnings exists because miniature horse people want someplace to discuss topics that concern them. Other than the minutes, try to find out what is happening in AMHA! The leaders of AMHA need to realize that we all want to know what is going on. If you are willing to take on the responsibility you better be willing to take the time to keep the membership informed and to answer their questions.

I have another question about responding and Lisa and a few others have also noticed this.

Why are the CARE members absent from this thread? I'm just curious. I talked to some of them on the phone and via email previous to the June meeting and "carried" their measurement rule concerns for them at the BOD meeting then. Do they not think that a grievance committee would help their cause? It sure would help to have their support!

Gary,

As you know, you and I have had many conversations about these topics. Which I have enoyed. Sometimes you and I have disagreed about some of the topics, but I always left the conversations with an understanding of where you were coming from and some things to think about. I hope you have felt the same way.
default_wink.png

I love your idea of a question and answer forum at the AMHA web site, where questions could be answered by one of the AMHA officials. Additionally it would give the members a place to voice the concerns they may have over any given subject.
default_wub.png

If I could wish one thing for AMHA it would be that they follow the rules and regulations of the charter to the "T" and not take actions only approved by a select few. No matter where that might lead us. If I had a second wish it would be for the process of change to be simplyfied to the point where any member could understand it and avail themsleves of the process easily.
default_smile.png

Take care and see you at World's. Tell your better half I said hello and tell her to keep you out of trouble.

Gary how do you propose to set up this grievance committee? Who is going to be on the grievance committee? Would this grievance committee have

any push to change things that are being incorrectly done or it is just more chiefs to do the same old... ??????

It is very hard to lend support to something without a clear idea of what your plan is.

It also seems clear to me that you are trying to hang Mike Want out to dry when he was the first to admit that

things were not rosy within the AMHA.. and stepped on your toes as a trainer in doing so..He had one voice/vote just like the rest..

so dropping the whole load on him just doesn't cut it.. Much of the AMHA problems were going on long before his time.

To me revenge is not the way to try to start a grievance committee. This is just my opinion.

For the record, I was also in FL for the convention in 2006. Mike Want was never nominated for president, Bob Kane was as was Felix Covington. Felix was elected as president. That was a very controversal meeting as many should remember that were there. After alot of crap, Felix Covington and Mark Wilson resigned from the EC in June and Mike Want was elected president with Bob Kane being vice president. Thats pretty much who has been in charge of AMHA since the big Executive Director mess in 2003 - 2004.

Gary, in regard to your idea of a grievance committee for AMHA, we realize that for such a committee to exist it would take many rule changes within our bylaws and rules. The process would take a lot of time. Finding the correct members to serve on this committee would take even longer.

The goal of C.A.R.E is to encourage the enforcement of all AMHA rules and bylaws. At this time with the repeated violations of the rules by the Board of Directors/EC, and the lack of enforcement of these rules, it is our opinion that until such a time comes when the rules already in place are enforced, we see no need to continue to make new ones such as forming a grevience committee.

We do understand your idea and concern for the need of a grievance committee, but at this time we can not support it.

We appreciate any help you may have given us in our first successful goal, to rescind the base of the withers measuring rule, although we never did hear anything back from you after the June meeting, so were not aware of you ever bringing any of our concerns up at the meeting on our behalf.

Respectfully submitted on behalf of C.A.R.E.

Concerned Advocates for Rule Enforcement

Gary, I also have a question for you since you brought this up to me earlier.

What exactly did you do to help CARE at the meeting???

I read the minutes and could not find anywhere where it shows that you publicly supported C.A.R.E.S endeavors at the meeting??? Was it left out of the minutes???

For the record, I was also in FL for the convention in 2006. Mike Want was never nominated for president, Bob Kane was as was Felix Covington. Felix was elected as president. That was a very controversal meeting as many should remember that were there. After alot of crap, Felix Covington and Mark Wilson resigned from the EC in June and Mike Want was elected president with Bob Kane being vice president. Thats pretty much who has been in charge of AMHA since the big Executive Director mess in 2003 - 2004.
You are absolutely right! This was the June meeting and it was the BOD that elected Mike the first time! I had confused those two meetings.............
default_wacko.png

Gary how do you propose to set up this grievance committee? Who is going to be on the grievance committee? Would this grievance committee have any push to change things that are being incorrectly done or it is just more chiefs to do the same old... ??????It is very hard to lend support to something without a clear idea of what your plan is.

It also seems clear to me that you are trying to hang Mike Want out to dry when he was the first to admit that

things were not rosy within the AMHA.. and stepped on your toes as a trainer in doing so..He had one voice/vote just like the rest..

so dropping the whole load on him just doesn't cut it.. Much of the AMHA problems were going on long before his time.

To me revenge is not the way to try to start a grievance committee. This is just my opinion.
I agree 100% with this total post above. And let me clarify, before I continue. I AM a member of C.A.R.E. as you well know. However, this post is NOT FROM C.A.R.E., it is personal opinion only. I am NOT speaking for the group, I am responding simply with personal opinion--from someone who has "taken the heat" many times, and been called a "basher." That said, here's my humble opinion of what I've been reading here.

Mike Want shared his opinions with all of us, and clearly pointed out things that were NOT done according to the rules, verifying what had been posted about irregularities in the AMHA's processes. He stepped on toes, but painted the picture anyway. One man, one vote. Don't try to change the focus to just Mike Want. He at least, admitted things were done incorrectly. Many still don't admit it, and instead selectively use the "rules" to slow down processes that may be needed to correct the problems they created themselves, by their lack of adherence to the rules.

What I see here is someone campaigning, who makes statements in one post (that may actually be your real opinion--but who really knows), and then when challenged or contacted by someone who's feeling "picked on", simply back-pedals to smooth out your statements, so you don't upset the existing group. To me, either you are smoozing the existing group, or standing up for the membership. Which is it?

Wyatt Earp? I think not, but I'm not an expert on Wyatt Earp history. Did he back pedal or just take the heat in standing up for what is right? But then Wyatt Earp probably wouldn't get elected, would he?

A Grievance Committee. To me, it seems just like a stalling mechanism. Basically, it's one more committee that will create rules that may or may not be followed--depending on who is seated on the committee. It feels like a way to take a serious issue, do a "grievance" and if you wait long enough, it will die out--taking the immediate heat off the topic. Another "bandaid" postponement mechanism.

RULES ARE RULES ARE RULES. The problem here is the AMHA decides WHAT rules they want to follow, and which ones they push aside for what the are wanting to accomplish TODAY.

IF anyone really believes that the Membership IS the club, then let them start following ALL the rules--not selectively choosing the ones that work FOR them on their new "pet project." If the rules had been followed in full, it would be easy to identify what rule might need tweeking to make it more effective. But, by NOT enforcing ALL the rules, they are just words on a page that someone uses for personal agendas, and to point fingers, or to support some part of an action they wish to take. Rules are ignored, or taken out of context to be used to support the whim of the creator of a "new" process. More mess.

FOLLOW THE EXISTING RULES! A simple statement. A simple mission. If it were done, we wouldn't have all of this ongoing and continuing mess. Rules were made and voted in. So, FOLLOW THEM! Very simple. No one gets special treatment, no one bullies anyone, fairness to the FULL membership could be restored. We don't need MORE groups and committees, WE NEED TO FOLLOW THE RULES WE HAVE.

RULE ENFORCEMENT. This alone should be the driving force. Set a platform on that!

Perhaps the AMHA needs yet ANOTHER judge to tell them to follow their own rules? They seem to have forgotten their own history.....
Diane

I am sorry for "inciting" you (and sorry if you think my apology is "back pedaling
default_wink.png
).

As for "campaining", I don't know a single person on this forum from Texas who hasn't already formed an opinion about me. In fact I'm pretty sure there aren'y many from Texas on here. The rest can't vote for me in region 6.

Much more has gone on behind the scenes than many of the members ever get to experience. Most volunteer committee chairs and directors have seen or heard of what I am willing to voice. If you knew anyone on the "Ethics" committee of old they could probably enlighten you to this.

It is funny how just asking where the CARE members are got the "blood flowing"!

Gary Barnes

Gary Barnes
Well, Gary, IF you are speaking about the recent PM between us and what you asked me about the CARE members, I can assure you that it certainly wasn't me that got anyone's "blood flowing". I never mentioned it because like I said I thought maybe you should ask those questions yourself. My only thought was your Sales post on the Forum.....no more.....no less.

Ok - I am going to say this and then I am going to go back and re-read some post. The two things below is what stands out to me the most.
I really don't know if I can say the name, but I am sure most people will know who I am talking about. I have personally talked to this person on the phone and he does NOT WANT the job he has right now with AMHA. From my understanding with him there was no one else that would take the job - so, reluctantly he did take it.

Ok - now this oppinion is only MY oppinion - If someone does not want a job they currently feel they have to take because no one else wants it. They are not going to try as hard to make sure rules are followed. At the same time, he took the time to talk to me on the phone - which is more than I can say about anyone else as far as BOD, EC. So, I am a little confused on that - but, he doesn't seem to care who knows he doesn't want the job. I just don't feel right in saying his name without his permission.

Now, I can be very Naive at times - This is why in my other post in this thread why I asked Gary to explain the Graivance Commitee for me and the new people in the miniature horse world that doesn't completely understand it.

In my mind - I thought a Grevience Commitee was to make sure ALL RULES WERE FOLLOWED. Which I agree we would NOT NEED if RULES WERE BEING FOLLOWED TODAY. So, am I wrong? Is the Grevience Commitee not to make sure ALL rules are followed?

So, my question to Gary or to C.A.R.E. or anyone that can help - How do we get the current rules followed?

In my oppinion the same people are going to be an the annual meeting this year as years in the past. So, what can WE ( AMHA members ) do to get the current rules followed that are already in place ( not counting the measureing rule that - my understanding was passed NOT followning the rules) to be ENFORCED?

I still beleive a RULE SHOULD BE FOLLOWED - No breaking or bending, etc. Rules are meant to be ENFORCED. So, far I don't think they have been. So, again - what can we do?
LisaF

Your reply here is spot on!

A Grievance committee would put some "fear" (for lack of better terms) into doing the right thing. It needs to be very carefully crafted so it cannot be coerced. This would mean members from all aspects of our industry (professionals, amateurs, politicals) and from all areas of the US. And yes there are many rules that would have to be changed (once formed houskeeping could take care of this). I have already done all of the research and I know the rule book well.

This was brought to the BOD a few meetings back (I don't want to miss quote which meeting) by the Rules and Regs or Bylaws committee.

I am not just blindly asking for this forums help, but trying to help your concerns. And attacking me for trying to help is not very appreciative and since I am not big on surfing here I don't always know what the rest of you are saying or doing.

Mona, I spent a lot of time talking to the directors that I have connections with and they in turn brought it to the agenda on Sunday at the meeting. They (not me) and Mike Want discussed it (members are not part of discussion normally in BOD votes). I guess I could have reported to you directly of what I had done but I am NOT a grandstander so reporting here would have been just that. We talked a long time on the phone and I told you I would help. Not knowing me means you assumed I was a man of talk and not action. Couldn't be farther from the truth!

I have spent countless hours talking to the people that I know involved with AMHA regarding this Grievance committee and how to get it implemented. I will offer this up again:

If you wish to know more or want to help or be involved and have ideas or concerns, email me at [email protected] send me your phone number. I will call you on my dime.

Thank you

Gary Barnes

Gary Barnes
Well, Gary, IF you are speaking about the recent PM between us and what you asked me about the CARE members, I can assure you that it certainly wasn't me that got anyone's "blood flowing". I never mentioned it because like I said I thought maybe you should ask those questions yourself. My only thought was your Sales post on the Forum.....no more.....no less.
Carol

Please don't read me as antagonistic.......

I was referring to the post I made last night. I did not hear back from you regarding my PM and thought that since you did not respond I would ask the other members of CARE here on the forum.

It seems that because I didn't make a report here regarding the June meeting and whom and what I did behind the scenes, I am cast out, so to speak! And when I apologize and try not to incite, I get accused of "back pedaling" and "campaigning".

When you don't get replies to your concerns from the directors, keep this in mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back