A pet peeve

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

susanne

dB
Reaction score
Okay, I know many people are spelling-challenged. I understand "creative spelling" and I know there are more pressing issues...however...

It absolutely drives me nuts to see people register a name using proper names (such as locations, proper names, etc) and don't bother to check the spelling!

The most recent example is a horse pictured in a very prominent place, viewed by many, whose name includes the name of a country which is spelled wrong.

Even if the owner/breeder thinks they're using creative license in their spelling (which I doubt), they should remember that most will assume that they just can't spell, or were too lazy to look at a dictionary. Even if you can't be bothered in your day-to-day writing, this is something permanent, that will be viewed for years to come.

I know there are many who deem this entirely unimportant, but I think it screams ignorance and lack of attention to detail, which might make me question whether this person is slipshod regarding other details. Also, since minis are supposed to be a family-oriented "society," this sets a lovely example for kids and teenagers...that details don't matter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I for one hate when these kinds of post come up. IM sure by not most know I am the worlds worst speller.

That said, if the name has a location in it then yes it should be spelled right. However I know of alot of registration names that are not spelled the proper way on purpose. I dont seen anything wrong with it.

Well here is a very nice spell checker for Internet Explorer and works with ALL message boards..If people would use things like this and it is a free program, we would not be having these kinds of posts every now and then.. Enough said.

http://www.iespell.com/

I also know there are stories behind misspellings, and I try to accommodate that. (Marvlious Moto, for example of one)

BUT, it does bother me when there seems to be no reason, and the only reason being that they did not use a free resource such as dictionary.com, the book on their shelves, or some other reference material when making such a permanent decision.

It bothers me in general to see people who have created permanent advertising features, as well, and not bothered to check the correct punctuation, spelling, etc.

Just leaves me with a "feeling" about them, and maybe it's wrong, maybe it's right, but it's just me.

Not saying I don't make mistakes, and won't, but I do try to make sure that if I have an advertisement, or some other long-lasting example of my farm/business/self, that it will have the correct punctuation and spelling.

So....share your purposeful, intentional misspelled registered names and tell us about them!
smile.gif

Liz M.

Chalk me up to one who deems this entirely unimportant.

My father was one of the greatest judges of horse flesh I've ever met; he also was one of the worst spellers. If you were to think him ignorant because of his spelling it would have been your loss.

It does bother be when I see posts with no capitalization or punctuation or simple spelling errors but honestly it's nothing to get my panties in a wad about and it has been forgotten two seconds after I see it.

By the way Susanne it's many not may that you need in your first line.
wink.gif

How about sending in a foals name for registry, only to have the registry misspell it
wacko.gif

Have a funny about that. My QH mare is named Pier Cutter Lady ( was to be Pie R Cutter Lady) when its announced at shows it sounds like Pure Colored Lady. She was a black mare who grayed, was rather 'unpleasant' when she was black. Cant even being to count the times people go onto me for how 'I' named her.
wacko.gif

Ya know what? If you don't like it don't buy a horse with a name like that! You don't like reading it? Then avert your eyes. Why do people feel the need to be so danged critical? How do you know it wasn't done on purpose? If it was done by accident, then by golly the world isn't going to stop turning over such an offence. Good grief! Let's all get a life and worry about our own faults before we go throwing stones, huh?

edited...sorry to be grumpy...I am just so tired of peoplpe being critical of others for no reason...esp. over things that in the long run just don't matter. It serves no purpose. Maybe I need to take my PMSing little rear to get some chocolate, but I just couldn't keep my mouth shut today. Maybe we should all try to say what we LIKE about people or habits or registered names instead of trying to look down our noses all the time. I bet we would all be a whole lot happier.

-Amy

Just food for thought... I am one that will purposely mispell names of horses when applying for registration. The reason????? It GREATLY increases your chances of getting the name you want. Also, there are other times that changing the spelling will shorten the name just enough to meet the name length requirements.

So it is totally unimportant to me as I am one that does it where I can. So I never ever assume that someone is challenged in spelling when registering their horses.
wink.gif

You mean like your mistake below?
biggrin.gif
Don't sweat the small stuff, is the way to look at it...we all are human and make mistakes
wink.gif
Mary

susanne said:
Okay, I know may people are spelling challenged. I understand "creative spelling" and I know there are more pressing issues...however...
It absolutely drives me nuts to see people register a name using proper names (such as locations, proper names, etc) and can't bother to check the spelling!

The most recent example is a horse pictured in a very prominent place, viewed by many, whose name includes the name of a country which is spelled wrong.

Even if the owner/breeder thinks they're using creative license in their spelling (which I doubt), they should remember that most will assume that they just can't spell, or were too lazy to look at a dictionary. Even if you can't be bothered in your day-to-day writing, this is something permanent, that will be viewed for years to come.

I know there are many who deem this entirely unimportant, but I think it screams ignorance and lack of attention to detail, which might make me question whether this person is slipshod regarding other details. Also, since minis are supposed to be a family-oriented "society," this sets a lovely example for kids and teenagers...that details don't matter.

448752[/snapback]

Well, I did misspell "Spirit's" name when I did her AMHR registration using her AMHA papers. I gave her my prefix and a name I picked out. Whinny For Me's Polkadot Perfection. I miscounted the number of letters and THOUGHT I had to take the space out of "Polka Dot" but now I think I was wrong. I think there really was enough room to spell it correctly, which would be with a space. However, It actually kinda suits my goofy girl! It is right up there with my favorite registered names!
smile2.gif

Yep, I make typos, too...and I generally fix those that I make. Note the number of "Edited by" notes in my posts -- they happen frequently. [Please note that I not only corrected my typo...I also corrected a grammatical/syntax error, just in case you want to rip me for those]

My whole point is that I wish people cared enough to make an effort to get it right. I'll be correcting Flash's registered name when I transfer his ownership to my name, since the breeder inadvertently misspelled Pastorius.

I apologize to those I offended...correct spelling just doesn't count for much these days, but I love our language and am on a one-person crusade to keep it from being completely trashed. As a graphic designer, a writer and a journalist, it really annoys me, and as I said, it naturally makes me question that person's attention to detail. And, if you would note what I said in my original post, I was NOT referring to INTENTIONAL "creative" spellings.

(...and for those of you who don't know me, no, I do not have a stick up my you-know-what.)

I think some of the "creative" spellings of horse's names is kinda neat! It does irk me though when a famous miniature horse's name is misspelled in an ad in a miniature horse magazine. Don't know why that jumped out at me, but it did. I'm sure it was probably unintentional.

Posting for fun
biggrin.gif

I did name a filly LADY INDEPENDANCE on purpose, instead of independence.

I liked the Dance on the end. She lives in Canada now.
smile.gif

removed since I think I said what I meant already.

Ok... I know this will be a little off topic, but I think Susanne will appreciate this one. I saw it in McDonalds this past weekend. The poster sized sign on the window that is next to the door is for a happy meal for kids including children age 3 and under. Now what it said was "i got one did you" or something darn close to that. I shook my head and told my father that I thought this was just plain old disgusting. Here it is that this is for kids in a place where kids love to go, and look at the grammar and the lack of proper punctuation! Here they are telling kids that not capitalizing things is ok and that it doesn't matter any longer if the grammar is correct. Urgg!!! And when I went to the McDonalds web site to find a link to complain about the lack of setting a good example in educating our children, their flash information was almost as bad on the home page. I watched and when the Happy Meal info showed up, it said

Happy Meal Choicesi can choose a side

and drink for my

Happy Meal!
Now take note…. They can capitalize the name of their product but they can't see fit to capitalize "I"???? Urggg…. I know it may be ok to type on the bulletin boards and instant messaging in this fashion, but for businesses to display poster sized adds with these types of grammatical issues and to have those adds geared to children who should be learning propper spelling and grammar, well now that really gets me going.

See, more important issues concerning spelling and grammar than how a horse is named. LOL!!!

If the horse that incurred the name in question recieved enough notoriety, for its beauty, and ability, it may very well become an asset to the farm, to have a uniquely spelled name.

I am one who has occassionally spelled horses names wrong on purpose. "Kickapoo's Laced By Moonlite" for example. Of course I know it should be spelled "moonlight", but these horse's names are long enough as it is. I like to shorten them whenever possible....and it makes the name a little more "unique".

People tend to take "license" with "name" spellings....and spell them all sorts of ways. Just as humans seem to come up with 20 different ways to spell their children's names....such as Britteny, Britney, Brittnie, Britnee, Brittenie, Brittany, Britny, Brittanie, Britnie, Brittnee, Britanny, Britannie, etc., etc....
wacko.gif

When it comes to "names"...anything goes.
laugh.gif

Also....remember that many of these horses who have names that are "misspelled", are incorporating parts of their dam's or sire's names into theirs (which may have been misspelled)
yes.gif

I don't have a problem with the way names are spelled at all....as long as you can phonetically sound it out!
wink.gif

nootka said:
I also know there are stories behind misspellings, and I try to accommodate that.  (Marvlious Moto, for example of one)
So....share your purposeful, intentional misspelled registered names and tell us about them! 
smile.gif

Liz M.

448766[/snapback]

Well, I'd like to hear the story behind "Marvlious" as well as behind "Mittey Titian" which has always bothered me a little wondering if they thought they were naming him "Mitey Titan". The way it is spelled it sounds like he's wearing mitts on female chest parts.

Another thing that bothers me is the Komoko line of horses. SO MANY people pronounce it Kokomo, like the city in Indiana. I've always wondered why.

I will say that I have a very good friend (some of you on here will know who I am talking about) who is legally deaf and has been since birth. He actually does amazingly well with his speaking and language abilities considering his profound hearing loss. Because he cannot hear the sounds of letters he does frequently have problems with his spelling. He IS NOT stupid! and he DOES use his dictionary regularly. But........he did recently name one of his horses Flowering Mrytle when he wanted to name her Flowering Myrtle. The AMHR did allow him to correct it and issued a new registration certificate. I still call the little filly MRytle.

If anyone knows about Marvlious or Mittey Titian, I'd love to hear the stories.
yes.gif

Latest posts

Back