A pet peeve of mine - this just "drives" me CRAZY

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wish that I could take you all to some of the clinics that I do - this has been one of the most informative and well researched postings that I have read. I only hope that people will look at this and see what a properly harnessed horse will look like - it will make for some much better driving classes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Leia,

You might try one of these for driving until you can get a mylar. I used it to start my guys with it and they did very well. It is a non pinch egg butt snaffle. Star Lake has them for (I think) $20. Eventually I did go to the Mylar and both the horse and I love it.

Here is the picture of the egg butt

245bit.jpg

Robin

Thanks Robin, I got myself a nice no-pinch, curved mouthpiece, small-jointed half-cheek snaffle and an equally nice Mullen mouth from Chimacum Tack this spring. Kody is still a very shall we say "active" boy on his bit (he now champs it to death endlessly, looking quite content
rolleyes.gif
) but we no longer get over-reactions or complete freak-outs if I touch his mouth.

I would really like to try a French Link snaffle on him and I finally found a place that has one I like in mini size, but for the cost I might as well get that Myler.
wacko.gif
Hey Breanna/Margo/Mindy, if I got it in the cheaper pre-made Liverpool version could I just use it on the snaffle rein setting and get the same effect as a half-cheek snaffle?

Okay, so has anyone got any new harnessing tips since this was first posted? Or any new hitches to critique? I've learned a ton this year and I'm raring to share!
biggrin.gif

Leia

I think the Myler mouthpiece that looks like a mullen, but is actually multiple pieces is the #40 mouthpiece. I picked one up at Nationals to try out from Estate Horse Tack. Very nice guy, said I could use it, and if I wanted to exchange it for a different mouthpiece, I could as long as it wasn't chewed up. Said the the #40's were his most requested/best selling mouthpieces from the driving trainers.

I had a non-pinch snaffle before, and though it wasn't a night and day difference with the Myler, it did help me "fix" him to the right (liked to counter-bend at times) and get his face more vertical.

I don't see the topic addressed as much on the CD-L as I do the recreational driving list (some posters are on both sites) but there are ardent supports of the wrap straps remaining loose among many of the long time drivers, and it seems to be pretty common among the drafters too. They feel the shaft should "float" in the tugs, not be wrapped tight. My show cart IS wrapped tight, it wouldn't bounce or float in the tugs regardless of how tight or loose I wrapped the shafts. My schooling cart will float though, so I don't wrap the shafts tightly at all, or it would rub him.

aktion033.gif
This is a great thread so I'm bumping it up again for people to read. Very interesting replies from different people on do's and don't for harnessing.

I don't know if its just me but I see more and more people with their overcheck way too tight. It looks like they are trying to get their horse's neck to be vertical. All the while they are pulling on the bit so that the horse will flex his neck...Then there are other people who have not taught their horses to flex at the poll, so they are flexing further back down their necks. And they are still pulling tight on the bit trying to get them to flex "deeper".
default_sad.png

I don't know if this made any sense. But, after reading through the forum I had to open my mouth. It is just so annoying seeing people who drive like this. Especially when after they are done driving they wonder why their horses mouth is swollen and their necks hurt. Sometimes I wish I could shove a bit in their mouth to see how they like it, lol.

OK, I haven't read EVERY post, so forgive me if this has been covered.

Firstly, it isn't just Minis who are often harnessed incorrectly...but that is not the point. The shafts should be level or slightly up hill but this does not make the balance correct....this is done from seat position and cranking the tug loops up a hole will NOT take the weight of a poorly balanced cart off the horse.

Other parts of the harness are often mis-adjusted too. I agree with that too.

Might I suggest two sources of impecable harness knowledge. They come from a lady named Barb Lee, who was the harnessmaker at Nearside Harness before she retired. She has spent hours and hours tweaking the fit of the tinyest parts of the harness to make them fit and is fortunately a very good writer as well. I have been fortunate to spend some time in Oregon with Barb, driving for days on end up and down mountains...her harness HAS to fit exactly or the horse could never have done what he did.

There is a website with many of her magazine articles at:

<http://66.49.173.199/BarbLee/TitlePage.htm>

And she has written a very excellent and inexpensive book on the subject of balance and draft which can be purchased from the American Driving Society at <http://www.americandrivingsociety.org/> for less than $20 (I believe). Even HRH Prince Phillip has a copy <G>

These two sources are a really 'must read' for drivers if you want the very best for your horses...and I know we all do.

Please don't think that one quick fix will cure all ills...it is not hard to do, just takes a bit of time and is well worth the effort when you see how much better your horse moves and how much farther he is comfortable going in a day.

Let's keep our horses healthy and happy!

For a nice French Link half cheek snaffle try Mini Express. They have a copper mouth one for around $37.00. I have one for my stallion (who has a shallow mouth) and he really seems to like it.

http://www.miniexpress.com/mxproduct.asp?intProdID=105
Our Stallion was not happy with his bit, bought the Copper French Link half Cheek Snaffle

from Mini Express, and he is much happier :aktion033:

I have a quick question, so I didn't start a new thread.

If I wanted to switch from an overcheck to a sidecheck, would I have to get a whole new bridle to do so?

Thanks!

_minihorses4ever_ said:
If I wanted to switch from an overcheck to a sidecheck, would I have to get a whole new bridle to do so?
That would have been a question for a new thread since it isn't about correct harnessing and most of us don't check here for new stuff.
default_wink.png
: However, the answer is if your bridle did not come with sidecheck rings, then yes, you need a new bridle. There are probably ways to add the rings aftermarket but you'd have to take it to a leatherworker who knew what you needed.

Leia

This is interesting.
default_yes.gif
: I drive strictly ADS at this time and so don't use any checks at all, and you can bet when I have that they were loose (not affecting the horse unless it tried to drop its neck below horizontal but coming into play immediately at that point.) Kody was started in an overcheck by a 4-H driver and I used one when I bought him because I assumed it was just something you needed to do. When I started CDE's and had to take it off I realized he didn't need it and haven't put it back on since. But in this picture...

f46b14b4.jpg

I would really wonder what the point of having it on at all is? I mean I see that you probably want to prevent the horse from grazing, but really at that length you might as well just correct him with the reins. That's what all the ADS folk do if your horse tries to graze- you just pull him back up, same as the check would! One that loose isn't going to prevent him from trying in the first place, it will just react faster than you could in correcting him. I guess I'm fussing because my 4-H instincts were saying that something that long (hanging down almost to the bottom of his neck) must somehow be dangerous. But I guess it's not. He can't get a foot through it, nor is he really likely to get it hooked on a shaft if he turns his head. But to me, that is too loose to bother having it on at all. Why not just drive without?

Honest question.

Leia
I totally agree with the above, we all want the pretty natural movement of our horses, yet we check em up like there is no tomorrow, it does absolutly nothing, martingales, checks they go in the garbage in my barn! Unless I have to at like AMHR, but its so loose its not doing anythin anyways! Checks have no point in my opinion, watch black beauty, theres the truth about checks! I have seen really nice moving horses checked up to force un natural movement and "tucked in " heads but the horse looked so uncomfortable!!!

ust wanted to express my gratitude for this topic. I just directed someone to this one.

Someone on another forum posted this picture:

f891a876.jpg

I promptly told her that that was wrong, and explained as best I could how to correct it, but I'm no where near as experienced as yall. So hopefully she will read this thread and a few others on this site that I linked her to.

Just a quick thankyou for having this topic available for us n00bs :bgrin

Thanks!

I took my overcheck bridle to the local leathershop and told him I wanted it taken off and switched to a side check. He was able to take my overcheck leather and add to it to make a wonderful side check. Cost $10. But worth it to me! I hope you have someone local that can do that for you too! I hate overchecks! They hide the face too much
default_smile.png

Krickette, can the driver in question reweld the after-market shafts she's using so that the vehicle sits up level? That would help with the balance issue, and larger wheels (I assume there's a reason they are using the wheelbarrow wheels) would make it roll easier if they can get them. The horse seems happy and relaxed and they are clearly driving for fun, so no other comments here regarding the equipment except to suggest perhaps they switch to a snaffle bit for driving. A leverage bit like the western one they are using can apply a LOT of unintended pressure with long reins like that. It is obvious, however, that the driver and horse are working well together so if the horse isn't objecting, neither will I.
default_smile.png
It's good to see more young people driving for fun!

Leia

You people really make me think and work.........geez. Tonite I went out and line drove my little horse in the snow without a bit. He drove as nicely with a halter and cavesson as he does in a bridle. He never attempts to snack while driving so I do not worry about a side check of any type. When I do put a bridle on him I am using a 3 3/4 inch egg butt snaffle--just because it looks gentle. Does anyone know what Darin Southwick starts or uses when working a horse? What is the gentlest bit available?

Last question--I am looking to have a harness made -- the only request for sizes or dimentions were head, girth and chest to tail. Does that sound like adequate information? If I decide to have one made after taking a look at the type of harness and craftsmanship does it seem logical to take my horse with me for a fitting?

Is there going to be a test at the end of this thread? Have printed and punched holes in about 18 pages now---will I get extra credit for neatness????

LGahr said:
You people really make me think and work.........geez. ... What is the gentlest bit available?
...I am looking to have a harness made -- the only request for sizes or dimentions were head, girth and chest to tail. Does that sound like adequate information? If I decide to have one made after taking a look at the type of harness and craftsmanship does it seem logical to take my horse with me for a fitting?

Is there going to be a test at the end of this thread? Have printed and punched holes in about 18 pages now---will I get extra credit for neatness????
LOL! Now there's an idea! :bgrin

Short answers-

-Gentlest bit: French Link snaffle, if you can find one. They are a pain to locate in mini size.

-Harness measurements: To have it fit well, you probably need more than that. Then again, you can provide all the measurements in the world and STILL have to tweak the entire thing! :new_shocked: That's normal with harness. Be prepared to exchange some parts and have a local leatherworker handy.

-If you live somewhere you can take your horse for an in-person fitting, I wouldn't hesitate to. That's the best way to do it!

Leia

http://www.horsetackco.com/mini_french_link_eggbutt_bit.html

I found an egg butt french snaffle at Horse Tack Company but I was surprised at the price. I expected it to be much higher. I have ordered this one -- not much to invest and when I have it in my hand I can possibly decide on quality but I thought I would send the web site to you so if this is NOT what you suggested I can keep looking.

Am new to driving so I have a million questions and insecurities. My little horse is far more advanced than I am. I have gotten the Cloke tapes but it was more for showing -- beginning tape but for the beginning showman. Thank you so much for your time

Latest posts

Back