A new term to me

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miniwhinny

Reaction score
For a long time now I've been a little frustrated by the fact that there are really only two "terms" for breeders. You either fit into the large, show, high producing breeding farm or you're labled a "backyard" breeder. I've always thought there was a big difference between a backyard breeder and someone who breeds in their backyard but with care and carefully chosen stock. I think of a backyard breeder as someone out to make a buck, not someone who spends every day making sure their animals are happy, healthy and cared for and their breeding stock is of the finest quality.

Well I'm certainly not a large producing show farm but I'm also insulted by the term "backyard breeder" because it has the image of someone who doesn't care at all about the quality of their animals..who breeds, just to have their kids "experience life", who breeds, sells and disappears. Y'all know all the negatives that come along with the name Backyard breeder.

Well in researching dog breeders I came across a term new to me

Hobby Breeder

They've listed the Hobby Breeder between the Back Yard and what in our breed would be the large show breeding operations. And here are a few of the things they say about the Hobby Breeder (sorry - dog related because I just copied and pasted) But I thought that this so sums up so many of us who have just a handful of aimals but are every bit as commited to bettering the breed and maintaining awesome quality animals.

......................................................................................

Hobby Breeder's goals

To better the breed and continue a well thought-out plan.

Dedicated.

Invites knowledge.

Strives towards the ideal.

Shows and trials to objectively test breeding stock.

Studies continuously.

Follows up on progeny.

Goes above and beyond standard requirement.

Attempts to continuously track every puppy produced.

Usually "home raised with love" and well cared for. Clean, healthy and mentally stimulating environment.

On a mission-plans to stay for the long haul.

Offers written guarantee and is available to answer questions to new owners. Good knowledge of history in dogs.

Helps buyer choose appropriate puppy.

Available for questions, and wants to keep in touch. Will take back dog or puppy at any time.

........................................................................................

I LOVE this...I think it sums up many of us who do have small operations but who strive as hard as the large name farms
default_biggrin.png

Just wanted to share.

My Moxie's breeder has been discussing this for years now...and it is very true.

Everyone (especially in the dog world) talks about the evil 'them' (in dog cases puppy mills and irresponsible backyard breeders-notice I said 'irresponsible' there, because there are 'back yard' breeders who DO care about what they are producing). But what are people who raise a litter (or has a couple of foals) a year, keep themselves educated with what's happening, and tries to improve called??

The Hobby Breeder term is probably the best term for 75-90% of the breeders in my dog breed!
default_smile.png

~kathryn

I think a lot of the good breeding has to do with the personality of the breeder and very little to do with the breed line ,size of operation ,and money. Anyone can take a nice horse and ruin it by poor horse care , falsifing documents and abuse....It takes a real horseman-woman to be able to bring out the best in a horse and continue that through responsible breeding programs, careful management, and loving , caring hands.These good horse people are often the smaller farms that are NOT overwhelmed by the size and amount of horses they have.

I like that term. I also use the term "reputable" breeder a lot, and I'm comfortable with that as well. For me that term can apply no matter the size of your operation. There are some HUGE farms that are not reputable so I don't feel that size has anything to do with it when I use that term.

I have used "reputable breeder" when it comes to all the breeders that I have contact with. The only really big producers in the breed that I adore are what I consider BYBs
default_sad.png
In fact, I think I would run quickly away from anyone who produces a lot of pups. Socialization is way too important.

I like it too (and "reputable") My horses are carefully chosen, top lines, almost faultless conformation but if I bred them - just because I only have two and they live in my backyard..well that's what I'd be called. But I'm NOT what people think of a "backyard breeder" and I don't think 99% of the people on this message board with small farms are either. If we were we'd not be here asking questions, learning, studying etc.

Latest posts

Back