A New Direction for Costume Classes

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

new direction for costume classes

• I think there would be a market for "high-end" costumes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Most costume Exhibitors would remain with the "cute and do-it-yourself type" that currentl

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Ginia

Reaction score
I need help deciding whether to try a "new venture" or not. When I was a younger stay-at-home Mom, I financed my "then" Arab horse habit by designing and making Native Arab Costumes for the show-ring. It was fun, pretty lucrative, and gave me a chance to meet a lot of really nice people. I had costumes that went with their owner/exhibitor to National Honors, both in the US and Canada. After the kids were grown I took a winter job in town and spent summers helping with the farmwork, and virtually quit all sewing but the necessary mending. Now that I'm back home full time and the farming is scaled down, I'd like to return to the nice, creative fun of costuming again. I don't want to be "flamed" here, but the cute little story-book costumes, cartoon characters, cardboard tractors, etc., don't interest me. I'd like to do costumes that play upon the horses actual type, i.e. authentic-looking Native American regalia for the Appys, Arab Native for the araby ones, maybe a mock-up of a giltzy 40's or 50's Parade outfit for a showy moving horse, (you get the general idea). I'd like to see costume classes become a seriously competitive class with LOTS of entrys. Sorry for the length of this post, but before I invest the time and money into creating a few "examples", I'd love as many of you as possible to give me your thoughts.

hi ginny!

i for one would be all for it!! as you know i can hardly put thread thru a needle. Just not my forte! but if i thought there was a better choice for a costume id be all for it. Also my neighbors son wants to do costume next year but she doesnt sew either. So I do think there would be a avenue for nice kid/mini costumes and adults!

I personally wouldnt do it part of costume to me is that

one it is something kids can do and make themselves with some creativity and stuff around the house. They dont need alot of money to do it

Second for those that want to go all out well I think this year Nationals pretty much did there was so many AMAZING costumes that took TONS of work and time

I love to see the diversity and the creativity that people come up with. I love the fact that kids who work hard on coming up with and executing ideas all year long can do this and participate.

I wouldnt want to see it all being just who can have the "best" of the same type of costumes but that is just me and my opinion for whatever it is worth.

Lets be honest there is enough out there we need to spend money on and have "high end" things for such as carts, show halters, harnesses

Really I dont know that many would be willing to spend BIG DOLLARS on a costume when in reality it is a fun class meant for a laugh and to show the disposition of our minis in wearing all our crazy contraptions. It isnt like a win in costume is going to honestly help sell or market a horse JMHO

Last edited:
I think there is room for both. When I worked at a horse farm years ago they used to host some huge shows and they actually had two costume classes at one show, a 'casual costume' class and a 'formal costume' class. They were both a lot of fun to watch.

We go to one show that has 3 costume classes. It is a show where there are big horses too. They have one for the older kids/adults on the big horses. One for the beginners on the horses and then one just for the mini's. It is great.

This past year, 2006 2 of our drivers used the carts in the costume. I like to see what people can come up with.

l love costume class and like seeing what the youth come up with each year. Some of the best ones are not the good looking glizzy custom made ones l think most anyone can go out and buy or order but to come up with an original idea and execute it makes it more meaningful somehow. We have some awsume homemade costumes at our shows which is what the idea should be over l can buy better then you can make which l'm sure sooner or later it would come down to..jmfo

I like your idea. I know another woman who does the same thing for Minis and it always looks lovely. If you enjoy doing it, then I'm sure you could sell some.

Costume is judged 25% on orginality in AMHA. I bet there would be a market for custom costums if you worked with people on designing an orginal one. I love the creative things people come up with and the classes always seemed packed at Worlds/Nationals.

The part I like best about Mini shows is that they are so people friendly. I have shown large horses and they are soooo competitive in everything - costume included. Minis are meant to be fun! I would really not like to see costume become the high end, expensive type of thing you see at the large horse shows. There are plenty of classes that are highly competitive with Minis and costume is too but lets keep it fun!!! As it is right now your idea of costumes is more than welcome in the ring as well as all those "cute" little characters that others come up with and I for one really enjoy the original ideas that people come up with.

I think there is room for both. When I worked at a horse farm years ago they used to host some huge shows and they actually had two costume classes at one show, a 'casual costume' class and a 'formal costume' class. They were both a lot of fun to watch.
I think having the two different classes is a great idea. although I think most people would stay with the cutesy costumes, I love the idea of enhancing the horse to look like a certain breed. Me and my b/f are leasing a B black and white pinto mare I think she would look great in a drum horse costume :bgrin

I'm all for it at the larger national level shows. Those cutesy costumes are OK for local shows ,but if you're going to spend the money to show at the national level then spend the money for a classy outfit.

The Arabian Native Costume class is one of the largest draws at any and all of their shows.

Besides, a very nicely put together period outfit would definitely catch the judges' eye in say driving. :aktion033: :aktion033:

i still stand by my comment that there are a lot of us that just cannot sew and would readily buy a costume. I think too people would like to be able to work with someone and help design it but not have to sew it.

I hope I can word this correctly, for you to understand. Just hubby's and my opinion.
default_wink.png
:

Personally, costume classes should be for fun only, be creative not bought-en outfits or what someone else has made. Including the parents doing their children's homework sort of speak.

Don't have too win everything, let someone else have a go at it. Nice to see first time contenders win and see that big smile.
default_wub.png
:

Same as the colour class everyone has a good chance to bring in the First Win Ribbon, if judged correctly. :aktion033:

Local costumes shows have a lot of that going on now. Someone elses creations

Maybe for the Nationals, :saludando:

Last edited by a moderator:
I am one that likes costume you can use any horse that tolerates what ever you are going to do it sometimes takes a special horse two years ago at National my granddaugther used her appy and rode him in full abrabian costume she was reserve this year she wanted to be the mideveil night rider and did well with it she rode again was grand this year she can't ride but could drive I love making costumes and we'll she what she comes up with she usually draws me a picture or shows me a doll or something I think it is ok to use your imagination a Appy horses doesn't have to be Native but he can be a arab too so what they love THEIR horse and want to use IT,. I think they are all very cute or pretty I have all kinds of costumes here sometimes they just grab one carol

I think making costumes is a great idea. You don't have to just make them for the minis, maybe branch out again in the arabs? I would buy a costume to use in local parades. Something that would really make my horse stand out and look nice, not cutesy... Something that would make the big horse people look twice :bgrin So if I was a customer, I would be looking for something to use in parades as I don't participate in the costume classes at the shows.

Thanks to everyone that has responded so far, I appreciate all your comments, and pretty much agree with at least a part of ALL of your comments. There is definitely a place for the costumes that are put together for and by the youngsters, and I hope costume class never ever gets to the place where it can't be enjoyed and and won by them, it IS a fun thing. I do however kind of hope that there is a place for the type of costume I am considering trying, for National shows, breed promotion events, parades and exhibitions, and perhaps ad photos. As I get the time (maybe not this Winter, but next), I may try several "samples", try to get them out in where they'll have a little exposure, and just see what happens. I guess at this point, there are too many ideas tumbling around in my head to get turned off without a "try". Still hoping for a few more comments and responce to the vote. Thanks again.

default_sad.png
Ok, pleading ignorance here, what the heck is a "Drum Horse"

At nationals the costume class is great and the reason it is great is because of all the creativity. I also know that some kids that don't show alot LOVE to show in costume and usually a group of them will get together and put together an amazing costume. I would really hate to see "bought" costumes for the youth. Maybe for adults but I believe we need to let the kids use their own imaginations. Linda B

I think the reason why costume class is such a BIG hit at Nationals is because the people who do it have fun with it, wants to get creative with it, and heck probably plan out their costume for next year once Nationals are done in Sept. and start planning right away.

I mean sure I think their would be a small market out their for people who want already made costumes and just need to get in it, but whats the fun in that, honestly.

I am a spectator, and I just love to watch the youth class, and see all the creative ideas people make with these costumes, its amazing what talent these people have in making these costumes.

If they ever split the costume class they need to split it up by single, and group costumes. Not by what type of costume they are wearing.

Also side note, I love seeing the horse dress up not just the handler.
default_wink.png
:

Latest posts

Back