A new critter coming soon!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Still have some old fur to get off her, under her belly. Used my hand shears to get most of it off so she'd feel less itchy.

10295219_769853083048202_8810788413658667990_o.jpg

10273287_769853069714870_6790181953505775738_o.jpg

...I'm starting to think that the pony knows when I won't be home all day long....

I left for Maryland a few days ago, came back late and I spotted a fat, brown thing on the wrong side of the fence!

He had kicked and shoved and then "jumped" over the dividing pallet walls.
DH said he was chasing the mini and the LGD was chasing him.

I checked the mini over and she was fine, left the pony free for the night. You can't catch him during these psycho moments of his...

Next morning I found out what the "chasing" was, he was simply "herding" the mini away from "his" mare. Just like you read up how wild horses keep out others to the outer edge. She's now able to graze next to them, but get's shooed away from the mare when they are in the barn. :/

He's totally ignoring her, never pinning his ears or anything. Very weird, since he forces the mare to race with him and he was "fence racing" with the LGD and the mini when they were separated. As in how dogs run up and down a dividing fence line. He would turn and try to get them to chase him, tossing his head, pawing, trotting away but coming back when they stopped chasing him. He will even try to race me as well, lol.

Anyway, left them together for a bit. Safer to leave him be than split him up now and have him freak out and break down the wall again. Trying to find a new way of attaching it in the mean time...

10452349_785625931470917_7241835359750518014_n.jpg

That's Dock, safe plant, growing over where the ground hog used to live. It's very lumpy and hard to mow, so the Dock likes to take over....

Last edited by a moderator:
She sure is a cutie!!! What is her name? Did you get her here in Culpeper? Mine came from a breeder in Madison. I did not know there were any other breeders of minis around, it took me months to find one close by!! It sure is a small world, you here in C-pep too!!!! Whereabouts are you? I am actually in town, we own an empty lot next to our home and we built a barn and fenced in a year and half ago for the minis!!

Since she is a baby still this is what I have been feeding mine since I got them as weanlings......I buy it at the Co-op by the car wash and the Walgreens, it's Pace Maker Sound Start. It is a really good feed and comes highly recommended by breeders and the Vet. The mix is developed by the Kentucky Equine Research Center and they just updated all their formulas in September. Now come spring when they are 2 yrs I will probably switch to one with less protein/fat content. They get free feed hay and I try to get the finer orchard grass hay especially since my little dwarf has the underbite. I also have a RedRock (think that is what it's called) mineral rock also from the Co-op in a big bin in the back. I order their halters from a mini website, I will try to find the name for you but there are quiet a few and I started with the small size, of course Misty has grown into a medium but Josie still wear a small!! At the top of this page there is the tack shops and there are lots of good ones there!!!

Now that you have her do you think she is a dwarf?? Any of the characteristic? Can't wait to see some more pictures of your new baby, Congratulations!

There is a breeder or was a breeder I forget, in Sperryville, that's where I got the Silver filly from. She takes them to the elderly for petting and such. Has a website somewhere...

Latest posts

Back