A new critter coming soon!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I already see an improvement in the last photo posted. Keep up the good work!

Aww, really?! =D

I was able to sink two wood corner posts today. She tried to help with the dirt on the 2nd pole. =p

She was pawing it, told her I need the dirt, she didn't. She wouldn't leave until I gave her a good head scratch. lol.

Just FYI, just because you buy a malnourished and neglected foal going through a growth spurt does not mean that it's automatically a dwarf.

BTW Purinia is VERY low on the feed heirchy in terms of quality.

Triple Crown

ADM

Buckeye

Nutrena

Purina

Purina is basically garbage. If you can financially, get her on something of higher quality.

I know it's junk for dogs, cats and rabbits, only got it because of the recommendations I got for it. I'll see about getting another feed, but she's very picky. She still won't eat the different hays I have. :/

Sorry to disagree Tremor...I am feeding Omolene 300 to a couple horses here that need extra and it is not garbage. YOU may not like it, but that does not mean it's garbage.

Last edited by a moderator:
She had some short bursts of the zoomies. Tried to help me move some wood and a ladder, lol. I gave her a hay cube and she ate it. So went ahead and soaked some cube shreds and gave them to her. She ate a good handful of it. =D Guess that's better than no hay, eh?

If she has access to grass that is probably why she doesn't want to eat the hay. I know mine won't touch hay if they have the option for grass so I wouldn't worry there.

I also have to disagree with Tremor on the Purina feed quality. I hate Nutrena with a passion, the only time I've had issues with colic and choke in almost 15 years with minis have been with Nutrena. Now if you have access to Triple Crown, which I did for a very short time, I would suggest their senior feed - its just wonderful.

I feed Omolene 300 along with Strategy and really like how my horses look and feel on it. If someone isn't holding weight, just up the grain a bit and that fixes the problem.

I had brought in a BAD case of malnutrition in a 20+ yo mini mare, worked her up to 2.5 lbs of omolene 300 grain twice per day and in two months she was beautiful.

Not every grain works for every horse and neither do the amounts. I have a soon to be gelding that can't have any grain whatsoever or else he gets a very very bad case of the runs. I'm thinking he is allergic to corn so I am putting him on a oats and alfalfa pellet diet along with a weight supplement (he's a bit harder to hold his weight) and free access hay.

The thing is, is to find what works for YOU and YOUR HORSE. Ask 100 different horse people what to feed and you'll get 100 different answers!

She's being more active and curious every time I go out there! =D

I'll attempt to switch her to a different feed later on. Knowing how picky she is, I don't want to get a new bag now and have it just sitting around forever!

In general, would a foal, weaning or senior feed be best? From those choices, I'll find a brand I like after researching what I can get in my area and about them.

I was able to rehome the goats and the pigs today! The hay and fence are finally safe from evil goats and the pigs got a nice home where they can be spoiled a bit more than I pampered them. lol.

I discovered some more wood posts I stored last year! I'll be sinking them within the next few days so the pen will be fully leaning fat-pony proof!

I'm also now thinking it'll be best to keep the pony in his own pasture and fence a large pasture for the sheep and the filly. She will be much safer with the sheep than the hyper pony!

I've thought up some names, but still looking for others. Kasia or Sonia.

If she's under 18 months, then a growth or mare/foal formula would probably be best. If you can't find one easily, then senior feed would be fine (just make sure it has at least 14% protein).

Today's pictures. Have a video of her chasing me uploading.

1520722_701177459915765_1712458947_n.jpg

8206_701177466582431_302740564_n.jpg

I have to say--back when we fed Omolene it was a good feed; we quit only because it was not (and still is not) available here. I refuse to buy Nutena--used to use it all the time but quit years ago. There is a Nutrena mill here in town but even the local feed store won't sell Nutrena feeds.

I don't see that this little one is a dwarf--not sure why some are so sure she is? She lolled rough in the first pix but still not dwarfy--and the last photos show definite improvement in condition.

Trimmed big hooves today while the little stinker was out in the backyard. Afterwards, let the mare in. She walked right at her, so had to tell her not to be so darned bold! She then went off to graze instead. Eventually, they got to sniff noses, 8in apart. Didn't have the camera in hand for that, just in case either one decided to be a brat. But they were fine. Let them graze til dark.
Filly, decided to go with Kasia, went around and grazed near a gate where Mr Hippo was at. Doesn't he look so calm and friendly? Lol, that's what he wants you to think! He's full of crazy energy, but for some reason, with a fence to stand behind, he's awfully well behaved.
I'm starting to think the previous owners just made stuff up about her. Since she will rear when led or kick out of you try to check her back feet. But she's tiny enough that she doesn't scare me one bit, so I got the last laugh.
1521280_701783216521856_1420349063_n.jpg

529126_701783223188522_928406106_n.jpg

She is looking really good!!! Such a cutie!! After looking at the pictures you have posted the last few days I don't think she has any of the dwarf characteristics that my little Josie has. She doesn't have that big round pot belly or the short legs also no big forehead or monkey nose.

Were you able to get in touch with Todd my farrier? Looks like we are going to get some snow tomorrow, wonder what your little one will think of it!?!? My 2 love the snow although they have only seen it a few times! Get some pics of her in the snow!! Have you decided on a name yet??

Going with Kasia! [ka-sh-a]

Of course I got pics of her first snow with me! I also got a video of her playing some more, but it's also terrible quality. She was zooming around while I was fluffing up her hay in her hut, but mellowed a bunch when I got the camera out! :/

Winter is also a great time for bird watching!

1016276_702790589754452_486693014_n.jpg

1016276_702790593087785_974967377_n.jpg

1546379_702799389753572_1137223026_n.jpg

1560465_703147793052065_1975703049_n.jpg

1620873_703147579718753_1753714941_n.jpg

1620873_703147589718752_2021686824_n.jpg

I love the name Kasia!! She is just so cute!! Mine have been having fun in the snow too, but it is way too cold for Culpeper!!!!! I see the ice from your water troff, same at my barn blocks of ice from the water buckets! Can't wait for spring! Your sheep are cute how many do you have?

I love, love the pictures of the Cardinal!! What type of camera do you have, did you use a zoom?? I like to take pics, mostly close ups of flowers and nature shots! And of course Lots and Lots of pictures of my grandchildren too!! Lol

Nikon D5100, 18-55mm lens, manual setting.

Have a little shelf outside the kitchen window where I put some grain to get them close. One cardinal was extra brave and didn't mind me sneaking up to the glass to take pics of him. Used a little optical zoom so he took up more of the frame.

I take pictures all the time of everything. Kind of picture taking crazy, lol. I'm known for picture spamming on other forums. =D Sorta never put the camera down after getting my first one back in 2000 or so.

Gotta remember to be using the heaters! Also managed to accidentally turn the wellhouse heater off. Brilliant, no? Pipes froze and now I'm waiting and hoping they unfreeze w/o any breaks. 5F outside and I turn the heater off, idk what the heck I was thinking.... :/

There's six Babydoll sheep so far, hopefully a bunch of ewe lambs will be born in the spring! Cuteness factor will explode then! =D

dande.jpg

shrimpstuff5.jpg

shrimpstuff2.jpg

pojnj.jpg

bird2.jpg

1521759_684424704924374_1027539709_n.jpg

Ever wondered what a stinkbug looks like up close? I've got tons of up close bug pics.

DSC_0176m.jpg

shrimpstuff1.jpg

P1030715.jpg

564854_404829072883940_130676536_n.jpg

Latest posts

Back