A new critter coming soon!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Woke up to the darned goats in her yard....I can't find a way they got in...I'm so sick of goats, they're so destructive that it's maddening! Anyway, seems like she made friends with them, even though they were cowering in her shelter. [its raining a little, goats hate water] They also ate up her food, probably what made them jump in...ugh. She was happily gobbling up what grass is left, took one little bite of the fresh cup of food I brought out and back to grazing. If she knew hot wire, I'd put her in the back yard, but I'm not sure how that would turn out. There's more grass in there. Maybe I'll walk her over there next week during the days.

Happened to pass a window and see her eating up all her grain! =D Looks like she likes it!

I'll have to look over the bag and see how much a 77 pound stinker is supposed to eat in a day, then split it in half for morning/night meals. Goats ate my grass hay. She won't go into the shelter, so haven't given her new hay. [still raining] I'll bring some out and put it near the opening of the shelter, hopefully she decides it's good as well.

Don't measure her grain For what she weighs now, measure it for the weight you want her to be. My 2013 babies are getting 1 to 1.5 lbs twice per day.

Some of my fencing is electric and so long as you walk the perimeter with her to show her where the fence is, and let her get popped by it, you shouldn't have a problem!

I mentioned the Omolene #300 on another forum and they are pretty upset over it... :/

Measured the little sandwich box I'm using for the feed, it holds 2 and 1/3 cups. Is that a good start or should I up it a bit more?

Always feed by weight, not cups. They have the feeding directions on the Purina website, and if you scale it down to a 100 pound horse (maybe closer to her optimal weight?), it says to feed about 2.5 pounds a day split into two or more feedings. If you don't have a scale, I recommend you purchase one so you can know exactly how much to feed. Hope this helps!

Yes, I know. I tend to post lots of odd details more for my future reference, I guess, or something like that.

It's just shy of a pound, 0.86. Since it's a new feed, sugary and all that, I won't give her a normal amount of it just yet. I don't need her to get a runny butt, that'll be hard to clean and she'll be so peeved at me.

Went out to weigh it and feed the rabbits. Thought I stepped on a mouse! Turned out she had called out to me. She was actually in her shelter. =D

Wow 77 lbs she is tiny!!!! Since she is so small you could weigh her holding her maybe you should call her Lil Bit!! That's good she ate her grain today! Sorry your goats are being a pain in the butt, maybe they will become her BFFs, you never know! What's the other forum you found is it a mini horse one?? Just curious......

This is the only mini forum I found that is active and more than a hundred members. I don't join tiny forums, not enough people to get opinions from.
It's horsegroomingsupplies. They actually told me to come to Lil Beginnings forum. I didn't realize this forum is that place! They were even more surprised when I told them I was on that forum. But w/e, I have this feed and she'll finish the bag off eventually. [/background]
Heart girth is 30in. Found this chart, but somehow I don't feel it's right.
http://whinnyinginlife.com/images/measureweight.jpg

Concern over how ninis are at high risk for all sorts of metabolic issues n such.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Purina mini horse feeding chart shows an 80# weanling getting 1.2# of Omolene 300 plus about 1# hay daily (a 100# weanling is 1.3# daily plus hay). She is thin and you will want her to gain weight eventually, but working her up to that 1.2# daily to start and then you can adjust from there after you see how she does on that amount. Most feeds are roughly 5oz per standard kitchen cup (so 3 cups per pound), some more, some less; but gives you a place to start if you don't have a scale.

You can see in these pictures that if the previous owners hadn't put her up for sale, the halter could of grown into her face! She's a bit sore in the area as well, don't think they really ever took it off her face....

Who you callin a donkey?!
don.jpg

Such a giant leaf!!
face.jpg

Havent read all the posts here yet but Purina makes a great Junior feed. I use it with my youngsters along with some good quality alfalfa hay. I also use the mineral salt blocks that look like rocks- they love those. Minis seem to require more protein than their bigger counterparts, especially while growing. She is a little cutie.

I do not think dwarf. She seems sweet, curious, friendly, and too thin. This happens very often when they start getting heavier coats. People will mistake the fur for fat. A little bit more groceries should perk her up. Groceries and maturity should make the difference!

I mentioned the Omolene #300 on another forum and they are pretty upset over it... :/

Measured the little sandwich box I'm using for the feed, it holds 2 and 1/3 cups. Is that a good start or should I up it a bit more?

Yeah, they freaked on me, too.
default_closedeyes.gif
Please, don't listen to the "big" horse people if they contradict what we say here.... They don't have any idea between their "biggies" and our "littles".

That's a good start on the size. Don't up it yet. She isn't used to the "good stuff" yet. They were feeding her CHEERIOS? Poor baby!

Yea, oats, something else and some cheerios. Some kind of hay I've never seen before and the bit of grass they had.

I took her out to the back yard.

She finally found the sheep!

shp.jpg

See in those photos she looks MUCH more proportionate. I wouldn't worry about her being a dwarf - and I bet she will have a rich deep sorrel color come summer!

Her legs are spaced out, not square, when she's more square, really shows her more vertical rectangle. Idk. Summer will tell us all, I guess.

Would love for her to not be a dwarf, just so she has less health issues to deal with. I wouldn't mind a mild dwarf, I'd still love her, but it'd be harder on her.

She is darling!!! I don't think she is a dwarf either. I think lack of proper feed has stunted her and with your care she will pull out of it. Sound like she just has an off bite. I bought a colt that arrived near death and the vet told me to send him back he would die. I refused as if he was going to pass, he was going to do so loved. He turned into a beautiful little guy. I posted some pictures in an album for you to view.

By the way, Congrats on your new little one. She is going to beautiful when she sheds out.

Amazing pictures!! Poor little chap - but he certainly looks super duper now - well done you!!
default_thumbup.gif

Back