A new critter coming soon!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If what you have for wormer is Ivomec brand injectable ivermectin, don't use it on this baby; Ivomec is made for cattle and swine. Please go get Safeguard paste for horses and give her an appropriate dose for her size (its an oral paste); then in 2-4 weeks get her equine ivermectin paste (also an oral paste) and give her an appropriate dose for her weight (you'll have some of each left, but you can use it on the other horses when they are due, or save it for her when she's due again). [i know of someone who's horse got extremely sick from using Ivomec. Some may have luck using it, but I won't risk my horse over it.] When all else fails, consult your vet and see what they recommend for your area.

28in maybe an inch or so shorter/taller, ground is wet and she squiggled.

Asked and they don't know her DOB, "about 1 year old" is what they told me.

The Ivomec injectable can be used by injection, orally or topically. I use it topically or in food with my pigs and topically on the rabbits. 4-6 droplets for a 5-12 pound rabbit, more or less depending on weight. Give the pigs 3ml, the boar is 50 pounds. The other is 15#, so she gets less.

Last edited by a moderator:
She definitely looks like a 2013 foal. She is very cute, and lucky to have someone who cares about her and will get her strong and healthy!

Horses are not pigs or cattle; most cattle (production livestock) products should not be used on them or in them (there are some exceptions, but I don't think the Ivomec is one of them).

I have "horse health, equine ivermectin paste 1.87%"

Can I use this on her? I ran to the store between posts to get her food and a new halter. Was hoping the paste I have I could use.

She took some bites of the new food, sniffed my hay, sniffed the water and went back to grazing. Kitty got to say hello, filly didn't mind, but kitty wasn't sure what to do with the hairball.
water.jpg

hay.jpg

kitty.jpg

Oh, as far as her skin goes, looked closer and it's really flakey. Is it worth getting her into the tub for a full scrub down or just wait for spring? Any food to help with her coat?

Dun't run away from mes, new fwend!!!

fillygirl.jpg

Mah nu halter is so purdy!!!

fill.jpg

Yes, Horse Heath brand ivermectin would be fine for her; it would be nice if you could use something mild like Safeguard first, but the Horse Health brand will be just fine.

If you can feel or see what you are describing I would gradually work her up to having free choice Mare & Foal grain or another 16% protein and higher fat grain in front of her at all times until she picks back up.

Also I'm not sure if you know or not but never leave a halter on her while unattended even for short periods of time - minis have a knack for getting hooves and other things hung in them along with getting their head stuck - I've heard way too many horror stories of people coming out to find a dead mini because of a halter.

Her conformation should pick up with the added weight and I bet there's a pretty little girl under all that fluff.

Also be sure you do keep her on a steady hoof trimming and deworming schedule. I would worm her monthly and trim her every 6-8 weeks.

FORGOT TO ADD:

Don't bathe her until its warm out and stays warm - odds are her skin will improve after being on the 16% grain.

Looked over the paste tube and it does have a knob for 150#, not just 250# increments. I'll use that amount instead.

I got her a bag of Purina Omolene #300 Growth Horse Feed. I left about 2 cups worth out with her next to the water and grass hay.

None of my horses wear halters, I hardly even lead with a halter on. I put it on just to get a picture of her in it. She's au naturel, like the others. [<---Note the avatar to the right]

I was thinking bringing her into the house for the bath, if it was needed, not outside.

I still don't know if her feet have been trimmed before or not, but looking for a trimmer who knows minis and can work on yearling feet. I trim my two big horses, but on a custom, as needed basis. Pony's feet grow super slow, mare's grow like weeds! =D

I never worry about how much in pounds they should weigh - when her body is smooth all over and you can't feel any bones sticking up you're in the range they need to be. You should be able to feel her ribs if you press into her side but not just by running your fingers on her.

One thing you could do before the farrier comes out is get her used to handling and cleaning of her feet.

You're doing great and she's going to be bonded to you in no time!

Well, her coat is too thick and full on flaking skin to feel anything. Seeing the main bones through all that hair isn't a good thing. She feels like a skinny woolly sheep to me. Heck, my LGD is shorter, but easily 80+ pounds. Feeling her dense coat and then the filly's, not good is all I think of.

I mentioned her weight to the previous owners and they called her 'chunky', makes me think even more that she's not a good weight nor in good health.

Really, none of it matters as long as she gets healthy. I like to worry, better than not caring enough!

She follows me when I walk away, lets me come right up w/o any uneasiness. I left the LGD in with her when I went to the store. When I came back, she was willingly going up to her and even running a bit after her. =)

You are doing great with her. I think you have been very proactive in getting her settled and on some good food. It's a shame her previous owners didn't feed her well enough but now she has you to care for her and get her in good health. Sounds like they just wanted to make sure you would buy her and it is a good thing you did!!! You will be a great Mom for her and have the horse experience with your others to get her in shape! I worry a lot too and this is a GREAT place to get info and help with our minis. Everyone here is friendly, caring and helpful with all their knowledge of minis!

I've been trying to figure out what a LGD is. Sorry...my brain isn't working today. LOL

Livestock Guardian Dog...

As to the weight of your filly... An actual weight would be great, but scales are hard to come by in some areas. There is a formula in the LB info pages that is pretty good to calculate weight of minis. The closest I can come is my smallest yearling last spring weighed in at about 145# on a scale, he was probably around 31" at that time (I have a height several months before and one several months after the time I actually weighed them). [My other, larger yearlings were 30-50# heavier.] I realize this isn't very accurate, but might give you a place to start for figuring out how much to feed her of the Omolene based on what the directions recommend.

Livestock Guardian Dog...

As to the weight of your filly... An actual weight would be great, but scales are hard to come by in some areas. There is a formula in the LB info pages that is pretty good to calculate weight of minis. The closest I can come is my smallest yearling last spring weighed in at about 145# on a scale, he was probably around 31" at that time (I have a height several months before and one several months after the time I actually weighed them). [My other, larger yearlings were 30-50# heavier.] I realize this isn't very accurate, but might give you a place to start for figuring out how much to feed her of the Omolene based on what the directions recommend.

She is 77 pounds. I lifted her and stood on my bathroom scale. That's how I weigh the dogs...lol.

Latest posts

Back