A little news

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madmax

Reaction score
I feel a little hesitant because I don't like to brag, but I am so happy! I needed some good news right now, so I am sharing my happy feeling..

A major newspaper here in North Florida holds a holiday short story contest each year, and the winner gets their story published with art work by their art department on the front page of the Life section on Christmas Day. My story I submitted this year won first place, I could hardly believe it, but they said indeed it is true! Their contest has been ongoing for years, entries were down this year, but still had 172 entries. I had entered few times in the past but never won any placing; my dad would write from time to time and he always told me to not ever give up, just keep writing as it is a learning experience, so I am glad I took his advice!

Huge congratulations! That is a wonderful piece of news
default_smile.png
I write short stories too, have been told I am very good and should try to get published but so far I haven't had the courage to face the possible rejection so I write for myself and occasionally allow someone else to read one. They are so much a piece of me, almost like one of my children (sounds crazy i know) and I am not sure I am up for my babies not being appreciated lol.

Huge congratulations! So glad you have kept trying. I, too, like to write (and embroider when I relate something that happened. Well, not lie-just get long winded LOL!). I was always writing poems, little stories and cartoons in school. I had an elective class called 'creative writing' I did well in. I, too, would like to do some writing, but also hesitate because it may be too hard or involved to get started. I would love to work from home writing. Especially some good horse stories for tweens/teens. I don't care, personally, for the science fiction type things that are out there now (well, did love the Hunger Games Trilogy). But some of the horse stories of 'yesteryear' were so good. The series out there now are good; but I miss the single book type. Love when I do find one. I haunt the tween/teen section of the Library looking for new ones.

That is awesome!!!! I admire anyone that can write….I'm not so good on that front! LOL

Huge Congrats!!!!!!!

~kathryn

Thank you everyone! Mona, if anyone wants to read it I can post a link to the newspaper's website for now. All of the entries are listed on there. I cannot post the story on the internet until after it is printed in the paper on Christmas Day.

My story was inspired by how in this area so much of open land and farms are becoming housing developments. 1000 words maximum and this years requirement was one could NOT use their list of selected 20 words, pretty much all Christmas themed.

Reignmaker, it is so true that writing is putting so much of oneself into it that it is indeed scary to let others see it. Yes, it is 'your baby', I understand that well.

Yes, please do post the link!! Merry Christmas, and once again, congratulations!
http://www.jacksonville.com/

Link at top: Entertainment

Quick link on left: Holiday Short Story Contest

Link: View Entries

Drop down list of entered stories: Select one: scroll down the list to: F. S. Pennington The Tree

I know it is a round robin trouble, but if you want to read it, here tis.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks everyone!

Last edited by a moderator:
OH WOW! That's awesome!!!! Congrats!!! I'm off to read it now
default_smile.png

I Loved that! I really enjoyed it. You are so talented. Congratulations on winning!

Latest posts

Back