A little excited

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SHANA

Reaction score
Roger Deslauriers.
default_biggrin.png
Anyway I e-mailed about a job at his facility. He has show jumpers and is friends with Ian Miller, etc. He lives not to far from me and I am going there tommorow to talk with him, etc. If I get this job I get paid more than what I get washing dishes and probably will have to travel(show groom, etc). I'll know more tommorow. This is pretty much my dream job as I love working with horses and love to travel. Just if I am show groom, etc I will have to go to Florida for 5 months in the winter. Guess I could live with that but not sure my hubby can. He may miss me.
default_wacko.png
Though he knows I may have to travel, etc if I get this job and said he would take care of my horses when I am gone.
default_yes.gif

Roger Deslauriers.
default_biggrin.png
Anyway I e-mailed about a job at his facility. He has show jumpers and is friends with Ian Miller, etc. He lives not to far from me and I am going there tommorow to talk with him, etc. If I get this job I get paid more than what I get washing dishes and probably will have to travel(show groom, etc). I'll know more tommorow. This is pretty much my dream job as I love working with horses and love to travel. Just if I am show groom, etc I will have to go to Florida for 5 months in the winter. Guess I could live with that but not sure my hubby can. He may miss me.
default_wacko.png
Though he knows I may have to travel, etc if I get this job and said he would take care of my horses when I am gone.
default_yes.gif
Wow, what a dream job...but, show grooms LIVE as show grooms and generally the life is pretty absorbing. I don't know...if I was in my early 20's & SINGLE, yes, but it is a VERY hyper intensive and INSULAR lifestyle...this is coming from my early years in combined training and eventing
default_unsure.png

That sounds cool!!!!! I would have LOVED to do that....though now, I would hesitate at taking a job like that....

I will second what Laura cautioned....show grooming is A LOT OF WORK!!!! Especially for that level of training and showing. I did some work for one of Canada's big jumper barns here in Ontario....and I did notice there was a high burn out and turn over rate with the grooms. Every time I went there, there were totally different people doing the grunt work (not to mention the turnover they had for riders for their horses). Even the pressure for the work I was doing for them was intense, and I did work maybe once every 6 months or so (over about 3 years). It can be very interesting and educational, but just be sure you know what you are getting into first.

~kathryn

Well Roger said if I could come today to phone and let him know. Anyway we were about 15 minutes from his stable so I phoned and told him and he said no problem so we went. Anyway just got back from his gorgeous barn. He is a very nice guy. He said if I got the job I would be working at the barn which is alright with me as well. He was very interested to learn I had miniature horses and wondered if I had any ones 2 years and older for sale. My husband and I are going to discuss it tonight. Anyway he is going to let me know in a few days about the job. A friend of mine works for him on weekends. He also knew my previous employer where I worked with horses before. So knowing that he may phone them to know if I am a hard worker which I was so no problems there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very Cool Shana! It is, as Kathryn said, very hard work -especially being a show groom-. I showed on the A Circuit for years and travelled to Blainville etc. I was trained by Lisa Carlsen, who now lives in Edmonton. I knew Mario, Eric Lamaze, etc. back in the day -they probably wouldn't remember me now
default_rolleyes.gif

In 2001 I decided to get back into the horse scene somehow and went to West Palm Beach with Chris Delia and his crew and groomed and exercised horses for three months. It was amazing -I met Glenn Close too. Her daughter rides/rode-. We had a lot of fun. He and his wife were super nice and treated the three of us very well. I even worked it so that we each had a day off every three weeks -almost unheard of-. I guess the point is, it all depends on who you work for. If you love hard work, long long hours, and HORSES, then you'll love it. It is very rewarding. The horses I looked after became "mine" very quickly lol. Good Luck!

I still haven't heard back from him. Yes I know all about hard work. My previous job with horses was at a private estate where everything had to be spotless including the horses. I also have helped at 3 day events and I babysat for Jennifer Foster. She rode Zeus at the Barcelona Olympic Games.

Latest posts

Back