A Humerous View from Outside of the Miniature Horse World

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tremor

Reaction score
I was at a local saddle club show a couple weeks ago with my minis (for halter and showmanship) and we parked our trailer next to the ISU Rodeo Queen for the 2nd time in a row. (LOVE her.)

We is of course fascinated by the minis and I will usually find her hugging my yearling and cooing to her. lol.

She started a conversation about her friend who worked for the Iowa State Fair and dealt with the show entries for the horse shows. That includes drafts, QHs, Paints, etc. Even minis. Her friend had mentioned that the Miniature Horse show (AMHR and ASPC) was the most difficult to keep track of.

Why you ask?

Because each owner/breeder/trainer had 20+ horses (exaggeration), in 20+ classes, and 20 different handlers.

So. Congrats on being the most tedious and difficult show! lol.

I had to laugh when she mentioned that to my mom and I.

PS. The minis did fine at their show. Ale, my yearling go 1st in her class. Pete, her 2 year old brother got 2nd in halter and 3rd in Showmanship (1st only showmanship class and only a week of training!!!!!)

Have you ever seen the movie, Best In Show? It made me laugh because I thought to the outside world "some of us" might be like the people in the movie! I also have slight twinges of guilt when I decide to watch "Toddlers & Tiarras", and not just because I'm killing some brain cells in doing so but because I cannot say there is not a comparison between the nutty moms on the show and how it sometimes feel watching one of your hooved wonders do his or her thing in the ring
default_biggrin.png

Actually we are entered at the IA State Fair - have gone for several years now. Horse Dept told my husband there were 29 entry forms for 156 horses this year. I personally know one gal who is taking 20 horses, another taking 22. Both will take over and under: foal to adult: halter, jumper, and driving - all divisions. One will have up to 6 handlers the other prob 3 or so. I know of at least 2 other farms who take about 10 each - and are in about every class. So other than handler numbers yes for some farms she has been given correct info, it's just not all of us. (-:

Should be a good show.

The first weekend:

Sun 8/12 9:00 - over halter, leadline, jumper, driving classes - all in Livestock Pavilion.

Sun 6:00 - driving classes - Jacobsen Center

Mon 8/13 8:00 - under halter, showmanship - Jacobsen Center

Mon 6:00 - driving classes - Jacobsen Center

Tues 8/14 8:00 - driving classes - Jacobsen Center

Tues 6:00 - driving classes - Jacobsen Center

You can find a schedule on the Fair website - www.iowastatefair.org. Look under horse competitions.

Latest posts

Back