A Happy Ending!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bozley

Reaction score
Hi,

You may remember the topic below from last July. Someone posted they knew of a mini that was not in a good home and wondered if they should speak up. A few people replied about similar situations they knew of as did I and Fiona. Come to find out, Fiona and I knew of the same horse and we both were very upset about it. See below:

________________________________________________________________________________________

Jul 6 2008, 02:42 PM Post #10

Fiona,

I know exactly who you are talking about and I agree with you 100%. The horse you are referring to is in an awful situation and you can talk until you are blue in the face to these people and they will not listen.

This poor mini is a stallion and he is kept in a very tiny stall in the back of their garage. He does have food and water. But he has no turnout. They take him out 15 minutes a day on a lead rope to eat grass on their lawn and often times that doesn't even happen. He is not groomed, he has no socialization. He does not get an annual vet check up, nor regular hoof trims or wormings. If you go in to visit him he has his head down in the corner like he is very depressed. If you try to pat him he turns around to try to bite you. He looks miserable. But you know it is one of those border line situations. He has shelter, food and water. I honestly don't think authorities would do a darn thing.

I also tried talking to these people. They just wouldn't listen. Once I went over and they had no hay. I asked them how long they had been out and they said a week or so. "They just hadn't gotten around to picking more up." I was furious. I went home, loaded up my van with as much hay as I possibly could and dropped it off, no charge. I think they were really offended but I didn't care.

Then I suggested maybe they could get on the same schedule as me with my farrier since it was obvious their horse hadn't been trimmed in a very long time. They agreed. I asked my farrier if he could kind of give them helpful hints on the care of minis. I thought maybe they would listen to him. The farrier did mention things about horse care but he too said they just wouldn't listen.

Then I thought maybe if they had more information on minis that would help. So I sent them a FYI email with a bunch of links to informative websites including Lilbeginnings. They thanked me but nothing changed.

Their daughter takes riding lessons at a Morgan Farm and shows the farm's horses from time to time. So I thought, maybe if I could get them interested in showing their mini and they saw how other people care for them that they might make some changes in his care. I was able to get them to come to a show and a few of my mini friends talked to them and gave them great advice about feeding, care and showing. But when they got home nothing changed so obviously they still didn't listen!

So you know, you can talk to people all you want and it may not make a difference. But what if you don't say anything? Then the situation definitely will not change. If there is a slim chance it could, it is so worth giving it a try.

You know what the kicker is about this family. They are very wealthy. They live in a multi-million dollar home on the ocean. Their kids go to a very expensive private school. So it isn't like these people do not have the money and are not educated. They just don't want to listen!

Sue

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Well I have GREAT news!

A couple of days ago I got a phone call. The people we were referring to said they thought it was time to find Red a new home. I was ecstatic! I wanted to scream with joy but I had to restrain myself. I calmy said I would be happy to take him to my house asap and search for a new home for Red as it would be so much easier on their family if they didn't have people coming in and out. Also, I said I would be happy to have him gelded at my house and watch him through recovery. I wanted so badly to get him out of there before they changed their minds. I then contacted Cindy Moses for advice. She was so responsive and so supportive in how to handle the situation. She was a huge help!

So tonight I picked Red up and he is absolutely awesome. He is the sweetest thing. I thought for sure where he had no socialization and had not seen another horse in 4 years that he would really be full of it. But he calmy and quitely walked into my barn. We gave him hay and he looked so content. He didn't act like a stallion at all. He just seemed so appreciative.

I took these pictures of Red right after he arrived. His weight surprisingly doesn't look bad.

Tomorrow I am turning him out. It will be the first time he has been able to run in 4 years! Thursday the vet is coming to geld him. I am so happy for the little guy! If I had the room he would be a keeper. Now our mission is to find him the home he deserves!

RSCN2383.jpg

RSCN2385.jpg

RSCN2384-1.jpg

Sue,

That is great news! He looks quite nice in the pics. Obviously he could use some exercise but he should not be much trouble to get him into a really nice home. Wonder how he will respond to all the attention and care he wiill be getting.

Might have to be carefull with the exercise if he is not used to any and how bad off is his hoof care. Just a thought.

Anyways Crongrats again!

Mark

Sue, you are AWESOME!! I sure wished I had someplace, anyplace to put him! He is one lucky boy because of you!! I am estatic for him! Cindy Moses is awesome too, isn't she!!!!!!

My husband has a "workshop" in 1/3 of my barn. I've got to get him to move his "stuff" into the basement. However it was the agreement when we built the barn. But I really need the other 1/3rd of MY barn! It would be great to have a space to do a rescue like this!

My hats off to you for "saving" this adorable little guy and getting him on the road to showing him what life is all about!!!!!

Joyce

default_new_multi.gif
default_firstprize.gif

Great news!!

Keep us posted on how he's doing! He is a pretty boy!

Thanks for being there for him!
default_wub.png

He is so cute. I am sure he will make a wonderful pet. I am glad he is out of a bad situation.

Thank goodness for people like you who care!
default_488.gif
default_saludando.gif
My hat is off to you and I hope that Red finds a great home
default_yes.gif

Barb

OMG I so wish you weren't so far away from me
default_sad.png
It just so happens that I am horseless
default_rolleyes.gif
. I bet someone will snatch him up in a heartbeat! He is adorable
default_wub.png

Great news! You are wonderful for being there to watch out for him and scoop him up when it was time. He is a cutie!
default_wub.png

Sue,

That is awesome. I only wish we had room, he is adorable. Do you know how old he is?

Brenda and EMily

Bless your heart for caring so much about Red! I bet he is so thankful to be out of that garage.
default_smile.png

GREAT work! I know you are already going to do this, but he's had a bad enough time in life - please try to help him find the best FOREVER home you can so he doesn't have to go back to anything like his old life again!

Red is doing awesome! Quite honestly, I cannot even tell he is a stallion. He is so sweet and well mannered. But he is still getting gelded tomorrow regardless.

Red is 8 years old. His dam is AMHA. His sire was AMHA but was never brought to permanent. Not sure if anything can be done about that or not. Red is also registered WCMHR but his papers have not been transfered from the owner before this one. He has a little bit of an overbite but you can only notice it when you open his mouth.

Here are pictures of his meet & great this morning with our horses and him being loose for the first time. He didn't run very much at all. He was much more interested in hanging out along the fence line near the other horses.

Red is very handsome and seems very level headed. After he recovers from his surgery Makayla is going to clean him all up and start working with him to see how easily he catches on to things. I think he may be a nice youth horse or a very nice pasture pet. All I know is he deserves the best home possible!

DSCN2390.jpg

DSCN2402.jpg

DSCN2395.jpg

DSCN2407.jpg

Sue

OMG Sue,

The pic you sent didn't do Red justice at all!!!! He is quite a handsome guy
default_wub.png
:wub
default_wub.png
He looks to be in pretty good shape all-in-all...and he seems to be quite friendly too! I can't wait to come and see him...I will pm you again soon. Shelly

Dear Sue,

You know how I feel about this.

It is very emotional, for me, seeing his pictures.

This little horse never deserved the life he has led for the past 4 years.

It has been a long time coming getting him out of there.

I am deeply Thankful that when the opportunity arose that you instantly jumped in to help.

He is a dear, sweet boy.

I feel both heartsick and elated seeing his pictures.

His needs are so easily met, why someone wouldn't do the minimum for him is beyond me.

Bless your heart!
default_cheekkiss.gif
default_cheekkiss.gif

I know you feel as good about it as he does.

He will let you know it was the right thing to do
default_wink.png

Okay and the last pics made me do this
default_new_multi.gif
default_488.gif
default_488.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_cheeky-smiley-006.gif
default_cheeky-smiley-006.gif

This is the BEST news today...forget the election results, no-one in the White House is ever going to care about one little horse!!

And he is SO pretty...you will have no trouble at all finding a really good home for that sweety-pie
default_wink.png

Sue,We were just talking about him Sunday at the banquet. How wonderful that you were able to get him finally.

He is just adorable.

Latest posts

Back