A few thoughts for those that raise babies and/or plan to sell horses.....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That applies to those cute...fuzzy little donkeys too......I had a little spotted girl born this summer...but she chose her name before I did.....her name is Little Miss Sassafras....and that she is.........
Becky

I LOVE her name ... I looked at a mini donk the other day and asked the lady what his name was and she paused and looked very embarrassed and then said

"Don Coyote" but I did not name him my son did. I had to laugh

I have seen some names and I think "what were they thinking"? LOL

Ours usually have a story behind them and I have had forum members come up with some great names

Flirts foals all have a theme:

Baxters Just Teasin Ya (on foal cam Flirt teased us all thinking she would foal any minute which went on for weeks

Baxters Gossip Girl (daughters fav show)

Baxters Rumor Has It (I figured with Tease & Gossip to keep the theme going_

Baxters Black Intimidator aka Dale

I always said if I had a colt full of attitude I would name it after the legendary Dale Earnhardt who was referred to as teh "intimidator" Dale fit the bill from the minute he was born. So full of attitude!

Baxters Black Jim Beam

Named after my neighbor Jim who got him unstuck during foaling and saved his life

Baxters Feature Evolution aka Harley

Harely came out with a new bike called the evolution. I figured it fit as this was features evolution to our farm and his first foal for us
default_smile.png

A few years back, my husband told me I could get a mini IF he got to pick the name. Well, I decided, why not? What's in a name...? So I got Trigger and no, he isn't palomino, but he's smart and loyal and a clown sometimes. Next mini was a rescue named Tyler. New life=new name. Tyler became Bullet and he IS a speedy little devil. Last but not least, I bought Coco, the black mini I had been seeing in my dreams. When I went to see him at his now previous owners' farm he was sullen and being climbed on by several children. Not very dignified, I could see him saying. I took him home and he's able to be the more regal horse he was meant to be- he is Goliath.

A good horse never has a bad name....
default_laugh.png
I've read that statement all my life, and I believe it!

Our foals this year all all living up to their names: Something Wicked, i.e. "Spirit" earned THAT name. She was SOOOO bad as a youngling. Her attitude towards humans has changed slightly since halter breaking, but not one iota towards the other foals! "Rebel Rouser" is a rebel- running, jumping on the girls, being a PITA.... "Legally Blonde" is, well, definitely blonde. And not just color!!
default_laugh.png
"Bella Sera" is a sweet girl, loves to hang with people. And "Silk Stockings" is a class act!

We try hard to fit our names to our foals. And also remember, that cutsy-pie foal grows up! I've seem several horses that were named a cute name that fit when they were a fluffy, cuddly foal. Doesn't fit anymore on a 37" STALLION.
default_rolleyes.gif

Lucy

Geez, I wonder if this applies to farm names, too.

Our farm name, Enchanted Hollow, sounds too passive and serene. Maybe we should change it to Kick-Butt Ravine.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do have a few that in the past have lived up to there name. Have one now named Shy Girl. she is not at all shy but rather push you over for attention.

That said I did take in a rescue last year, his name was Rogue. Was told he he prefered to be called Roger so switched to that. When I called by Rogue he ignored me. First time I called out Roger he came running(hard to do when you are all bones and nothing more).

Several years ago, a wise member of this forum got on my case, pointing out that what I may think is wonderful is not necessarily what others like...

Nowhere is this truer than with names.

Some like short, simple names. I love, long (so long as they fall trippingly off the tongue), esoteric names. No name is more fun than Thelonius, and it so fits him. Another horse has a cute, multisyllabic name, but he came with a rather boring nickname that had stuck, so I was just out of luck.

I hate dull, predictable names. I couldn't stand a horse named Spot, unless perhaps it had brindle stripes like Riverdance's filly -- then I would love the irony. (I once named a dog "Kitty"...)

I'm sure many would hate my animals' names -- all are named after jazz musicians. (On another forum I ran across a woman with a horse named Mingus, but she pointed out (before I ever posted) that she wasn't some snooty jazz fan...she named him after the Mingus Mountains...)

I do think cutesy names lack a certain dignity (speaking as someone called Susie while growing up). I can't root for a Kentucky Derby winner with a name unworthy of a potential Triple Crown winner. But in the end, all you can do is name them something that works for you; otherwise, no matter how hard you try, SOMEONE will hate it.

(Yaddox, using your approach, should I change Woodwinds to Fir Farts?)

My breeder initially wanted to name one of my boys "Almost a heartbreak" after a scarey but sucessful redbag delivery. Then he had two scarey episodes of choke as a foal and it was looking like he was trying to fit into his name. She thought it over and changed his name to "Don't worry be Happy" (aka Happy) and that he is, ... a very Happy boy. Makes ya wonder.

Some of you may remember my now yearling filly that I dubbed 'Death Wish' last year. After multiple bouts of serious choke (we didn't think she would survive that), a bad corneal ulcer (we also thought she would lose her eye) and slicing her chest open twice requiring major suturing, she is somehow thriving. Her registered name is Make No Mistake, but DW seems to fit!

I also have a yearling colt that I named In The Red. I was chastized a bit over that name, but with his recent $5000 vet bill from the World show, it pretty much fits!
default_wacko.png

After naming and showing dogs for 40+ years, we have thought names were a self-fulfilling prophesy.

We have known a lot of dogs whose name contained the word "Trouble" and they were....

I think it is nice to name a horse or a dog or a child something positive - something to live up to in the future. That being said, I know that there are exceptions to the rule.

If you want to hear some really strange horse names, go to the Jockey Club site and read all the weird Thoroughbred names.

Back in the days when I was showing Quarter Horses, I looked at a mare named "Heir Sick." She was a daughter of a horse called "Son And Heir," so it was actually kinda clever. I wouldn't have been able to lead that mare into the show pen, though, knowing a name like that would be announced over the loud speakers. Fortunately, we didn't like her anyway.

To make matters worse, her barn name was "Queasy."

RolyPolyCrumb Snatcher and BuckToothBuffalo..... ........I kinda have to agree here. Yes, I know a name really shouldn't have much to do with anything but I also would not take those names seriously or something a show horse breeder (professional breeder or whatever you want to call them) would name their horses. Save the names like "pumpkin pie" or "cutesy wootsy" for their barn names. And no offense to anyone intended. I prefer to hear more professional sounding names.
RolyPolyCrumbSnatcher........
default_new_rofl.gif
I think I've had a couple of those over the years lol.

I usually pull from bloodlines when I name babies, but sometimes that doesn't work. I find some foals are easy to name, it's apparent from the start what fits them. Others take me forever to name - I like the name to be "right" for the horse and it doesn't always just jump out at me. We have a yearling filly who got her barn name in her first hours - Spitfire, as she was and is. Her registered name is Rock N Dakota, more of a "show ring" name and I like it, but I can't for the life of me call her Dakota.

Some of my favorites over the years - Mr Charisma, who has always lived up to his name and is very much mr personality! Spotless Echo, a daughter of Painted Echo who was.......not painted lol. One of our older mares, Deiles Peacemaker - I thought the name was kind of ridiculous when we bought her, but she has been the most peaceful, serene mare I've ever owned. Divine Miss Mime - she is rather saintly lol. One Hot Cookie is quite a looker, and as he has become a gelding the "Cookie" fits him perfectly.

Jan

I have a mini mare named Showgirl, and she is a Diva (I usually call her Showy).

I named my AQHA colt Rebel within hours of his birth, and he was a stinker the first few weeks of his life, but now he is the sweetest boy, and its a good thing he is sweet, cause he's now 16+H tall. And, his half-sister was named Sassafras, Sassy for short, and boy was she (she did mellow some, but not to the extent that the colt did).

I had an AQHA mare who's nickname was "Miss Moo", she was a bossy cow and everyone stayed out of her way (she was fine around people, but ruled the pasture). [Registered name was "Rebs Foolish Duster", I usually called her Foolish, except when she was in a really bossy mood. She was born April 1.]

[Registered name was "Rebs Foolish Duster", I usually called her Foolish, except when she was in a really bossy mood. She was born April 1.]
We had a Foolish Shadow.......April 1st baby. This was our sweet old QH mare we lost last fall, there was never anything Foolish about her
default_smile.png
We called her Shadow, previous owners had called her Shady but that didn't fit.

Jan

I think that some names are self fulfilling because we make them that way. Our old gelding is Mr. Chips - old guy in very old novel (for those that are way to young to have been required to read it). I treat him like a very old guy. I don't require that he stay trim nor do much work and he seems to like it that way!

On the other hand my sis bought a big horse with the registered name of "Trailer Trash". She promptly change it to something a bit more masculine, he is a gelding, and he's doing pretty well for her in the arena. She just didn't think that she could stand to hear his original name over and over on the loud speaker.

Latest posts

Back