A few showing questions...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MooreAcres

Reaction score
I have a show at the end of this month and have some questions...

1) What is the best hair gel for a silver dapple with a WHITE mane/tail/forelock?

2) I am body clipping him with a 10 blade, but I refuse to bald his muzzle/eyes. What is the best product I can use to add a little shine to his appearence? (i.e show sheen, baby oil...)

Umm...thats all I can think of right now, but I'm sure other questions will arise between now and then.

Thanks, Erin

Hi Erin,

For gel I use whatever is handy, It seems to just fade in so I do not believe you need to worry about color. But I suggest an anti frizz or a shine gel, it does wonders on my horses (I forget the brands I use).

I favor Johnson's Baby Oil Gel. It adds a lot of shine. My mare rubs it off on me because she hates all the makeup on her, but my Gelding keeps it on. Use it on the muzzle, over the eyes, and in the ears.

I put Show sheen on my horses coat, face (squirt in hands then rub on face), legs, mane, tail, Everywhere after a bath the day before then put a blanket on and/or mane tamer, take it off the next morning, day of show and put laser sheen on. they glow. Cowboy magic works great too!

Be sure to post pictures, and good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, Erin,

There IS a difference in gels. I forget what kind was recommended to me by a trainer, but I will find out and post it. It's not expensive and it does not change the color of white hair, nor does it get crusty and flaky very quickly. It will get sort of dry and flake up if you use too much, but most of them do, IME.

If you are body clipping with a ten blade, you should try and use at least a 30 on the muzzle up to the cheekbones. It will show off your horse's head so much more nicely and does not hurt them one bit. Then when you use a coating of baby oil gel (this seems to last longer, IME), it will allow the skin to shine through. If you put baby oil on a horse clipped w/a ten, you just don't get much effect from the gel/oil. I use a light coat of baby oil (regular) over the whole head and face and let that sink in for a bit, then use the gel to highlight the areas I've clipped or razored (I know you won't be razoring, but it will be the same areas you are looking to highlight).

Which show are you going to? The Fair?
smile.gif

Liz M.

Yes Liz I will be attending the Oregon State Fair with Tango. Will you be there? Who are you taking?

I am going to PetSmart tomorrow to buy a new set of 10 blades. Depending on the price, I will look for a set of 30 blades as well. I will be sure to pick up some baby oil and gel. Am looking forward to the brand name of the hair gel you use.

Erin

if you have never used a 30 be careful and practice on another horse. Its not at all like a 10.

Also for silver dapples i love quicksilver shampoo. it will really bright up the gray and white areas.

We also dont bald but we do put baby oil gel on the muzzle, above the eyes and on the outside of the ears.

for finishing the body, mane and tail we spray down with shosheen and then do a layer of pepi.

Hi, Erin,

The brand name for the hair gel is Suave. It seems to work pretty well and isn't super expensive. I am using the Mega Hold version and it comes out a very pale blue, nothing that would stain white or silver hair, or hasn't done so, yet, and I have used it on both.

If you do get #30 blades, do try them out on his muzzle and blend them into the #10 clipped areas, but they aren't SUPER close, so things should be fine. I just find that the horses w/white muzzles and grey skin look a little nicer w/a closer clip to the skin (usually my silvers have that appearance, also had a palomino mare that had white hair/dark skin, and we never clipped w/more than a #30).

I am bringing Mouse, Lailah and her filly, Lark, and maybe Rogue and 2, who are both for sale.
smile.gif
S/B fun to see you again and Tango, too!

Liz M.

I agree with everything mentioned here so far, especially Nootka's post. She was right on, IMO.

I'm a die-hard Johnsons Baby Oil Gel user, as well as Show Sheen sprayed on while they're still wet after their bath. Just before I go in the ring, I like to use World Champion Pepi on them.

My "silver dapple" (or dapple grey, as I like to call her) looks absolutely fabulous when she is body clipped with a 30!! It wasn't very long ago that I feared using a 30 on the muzzle, never mind the whole body, but she just looks awesome when she's clipped that short. Her dapples become almost three dimensional. Is that something you would consider doing?

I'd love to see a photo of your horse. I'm a sucker for a dapple grey with white mane and tail! Best of luck at your show!

Here is my gelding, Tango. He is 5 and this is his second show (first show as a stallion). The first pictures is of him out in the pasture last summer. You can sorta tell that he is more a a steel grey color naturally. The second picture is him body clipped back in March. That is what he will look like at the show, only a little more "cleaned up" this time around. *Last time he was like trying to clip a Mexican Jumping Bean, LOL!*

Tango%20Great%20Head%20Shot-best.jpg

Tango%20--clipped%203-25-05.jpg

Thanks for the advice!

Erin

Thanks Gage for you compliment on my lil Tango. He is 28 1/4" and registered both AMHA and AMHR. He has one foal on the ground (DF Sir Nemo -- we have lost all trace of this colt, so we have no idea whether or not he is even still alive. He is/was a cute lil silver dapple just like Tango) out of a blue roan/greying 33-34" mare (now owned by minisaremighty). I gelded him about 3 weeks ago and am now "turning" him into my wonderful gelding partner whom I plan to show in Halter, Jumping, Liberty, and Halter Obstacle.

Erin

Latest posts

Back