A Few Questions!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kayla221444

Reaction score
Ok first of all. I had a colt born on Memorial day early morning. I thought he was a dunish buckskin color but now I am really not sure on his color at all. His dam is a solid dun (her dam was a pal. pinto & sire was a sorrel pinto. And his sire a solid palomino. This colt has no SILVER any where in his pedigree. All being either sorrels/bays or pals. The colt has two blue eyes....not sure what caused that as neither parents have it and have never thrown it before, but I am maybe guessing that momma has the pinto gene since bother her parents were pintos, and her sire had blue eyes. Anyway... he is like a golden color around his eyes, but his mane and tail are like an amber color, he has a light brownish colored skin around his bright blue eyes and and nose, and if I pull back his hair he looks blackish/grey under neath. But has a golden color in certian spots. His dams skin is the same color brown......do you think he will be the same color as his mom?

this is sire DB Golden Banjo owned by Dobsons Miniatures

banjo.jpg

this is her dam Prairie Views Little Miss Destiny (with her colt)

DSC00799.jpg

and some more photos of my handsome lilttle guy

08buckskin.jpg

chubbsfoal08.jpg

and one other question for my mom. She bred her mare last year and her due date this year is June 26th. She testerd her around nov/dec with a urine pregenancy test and it came up positive, as it did for her other mare that already foaled. So this whole time we have been thinking she was pregnant. But she didnt really seem to be overly Huge but still looked pregnant, the other day she was over at the fence teasing the stallion and was in full blown heat or what it seemed. So mom just figured she wasnt pregnant...so he bred her to her stallion since this will be the mares last foal. Well 2 years ago she faked a pregnancy, we could get some milk from her but not enough to test. So thought she might have been preg. but didnt know when she would be due since she was out in the pasture with the stud.But she never foaled (shes the gal that loves having babys, so we thought she might have just milked since the other mares had babys and she was so use to having on every year). Well tonight mom tried to breed her again, and she wouldnt let hero near her at all! Kicking him. So mom took her in the barn worried now that she may just be pregnant. So she tried to see if we could get milk to test her and she was milking like a COW! We got so much it tested hard (2 blocks away from the 12hrs of foaling). SO...what do you's think could she be pregnant? Or just faking again. I dont have any pics yet. But also a few months back she was trying to hump the other mares, and she did that last year when she was pregnant with a stud colt.We think we have felt the baby kicking, but also thought that the year she was faking it. Thanks all for the help!

BUCKSKIN!!!
default_yes.gif
I have two buckskin fillies here this year, and one is very light-colored like your boy, just as her sire was when he was a baby. VERY pretty, and congratuations!!
default_aktion033.gif

I agree...baby is a cute little buckskin!

I should also add...the dam cannot be a dun unless one parent is, and so it seems she is not. I also do not see a true dorsal stripe which makes me even certain she is not a dun. I would guess she is a smutty buckskin or maybe even a smokey/silver smokey black? If the palomino sire carries silver, it would be hidden in the mane.

Could the dam be a silver buckskin? The palomino sire OR the sorrel dam could have been carrying agouti. She does look like a silver buckskin to me.

Don't you LOVE the color possibilities and trying to figure them out! LOL! I find it fascinating!
default_yes.gif

First of all, a palomino and a chestnut are reds. The palomino has one cream gene, the chestnut has no cream gene. A Red bred to a red can ONLY produce a red. So, if you bred a palomino to a chestnut, you can only get either a chestnut or a palomino.

You say the dam is a dun, then one of her parents is registered the wrong color. Looking at the picture of her rear, she looks like a silver bay or perhaps a silver buckskin. Just because there is a dorsal stripe down a horses back, does not mean that it is a dun. My guess is that the "Palomino" parent of the dam was probably a silver bay. Many people think that if a horse has a white mane and tail it must be a palomino and register the horse the wrong color.

The foal looks to be a buckskin, either a silver buckskin or a buttermilk buckskin. My vote is a buttermilk buckskin.

Last edited by a moderator:
First of all, a palomino and a chestnut are reds. The palomino has one cream gene, the chestnut has no cream gene. A Red bred to a red can ONLY produce a red. So, if you bred a palomino to a chestnut, you can only get either a chestnut or a palomino.

You say the dam is a dun, then one of her parents is registered the wrong color. Looking at the picture of her rear, she looks like a silver bay or perhaps a silver buckskin. Just because there is a dorsal stripe down a horses back, does not mean that it is a dun. My guess is that the "Palomino" parent of the dam was probably a silver bay. Many people think that if a horse has a white mane and tail it must e a palomino and register the horse the wrong color.

Oh, EXCELLENT point!!
default_yes.gif
I wasn't even thinking of that! Yes, one of those parents HAD to be carrying a black gene.
default_yes.gif

This mare's dam, the "sorrel pinto" could easily have been a silver bay. Then she in turn, could be a smokey silver black or a silver buckskin. Seeing pictures of all would really help a lot.
default_yes.gif

You can take all the AMHA colours on the pedigrees and ignore them......

For the record, the Sire looks Grey from that photo, and the Dam looks Silver Buckskin/ Smoky Silver Black- she is not Dun, the foal looks either Buckskin/ Silver Buckskin or Grullo, (or even Silver Grullo- I have never seen a tested and known to be Silver Grullo so I could not comment!!)

And the Sire could easily be Grey, now, and have Palomino underneath.

Ok all so I got looking back at some pictures that I have. I do very much believe that my mare is a silver buckskin now. But in the winter she does get a dorsal stripe. But in the summer it fades away. Anyway first I was looking at a picture of her sire...he is reg. Sorrel/chestnut pinto but to me he looks silver bay pinto what do you's think? (picture below). And also the sire to my foal is definatly a palomino just a lighter color and in the picture he does look white/grey. The dam to my mare Is definatly a pal. pinto in the pics i have below of her shes a little bit darker, than what she really is. And then I got looking back at some pictures of some of the other 3 foals my mare has had and they all seem to have the silver gene. She had a what I woulc call black filly first (they reg. as grulla, but to me she looks like a dark black with maybe some greying?) and her 2nd foal reg. as a bay, sure too me looks silver bay pinto and sort of looks like he might grey out totatly. And the last foal before my new guy I dont have a picture of her... Junie Moonie goes to school shes got a book out about her was reg. sorrel but I have seend a picture of her and I cant find it now, she looked silver bay as well to me. I have attached pictures below.

My mare as a baby

chubbsfoal08.jpg

As a 5 year old (looks like any ol buckskin 2 me)

Minnie.jpg

Last summer

Ad-Photo-7601-3.jpg

A few weeks before foaling

DSC00776.jpg

Her sire....to me he looks silver bay what do you's think?

belabody2.jpg

Her dam golden pal. in summer really light in the winter

Peaches1.gif

my mares (chubbs) first foal...looks to be a dark grey maybe, or silver black is there such thing??

DestinyFoal.jpg

her 2nd foal looks really silver bay

Destinyfoal2.jpg

Sorry the picture of chubbs as a baby was the wrong pic...here it is

destinyfoal5.jpg

Your mare is a silver buckskin. Her sire is a silver bay pinto, her dam is a palomino pinto (though she looks more chestnut/sorrel in the picture). The first foal is probably a smokey black, the second is a silver bay pinto.

Unfortunatly, one can not trust the colors that are down in the pedigrees, as too many people in Miniature horses have never been in horses before and just do not know thier colors.

thank you all for the information. I do now know she is a silver buckskin... I got an email from the people that raised her at Prairie view farms and she told me she is in deed a silver buckskin (she seen my post). As her sire was a silver bay, and his dam was a dapple grey bred to a chestnut which made him a silver bay. So I am thinking that my colt is indeed a silver buckskin as well.

I also have a mare this year a silver dapple tovero that was bred to a chestnut tobiano....now I am wondering is the foal silver bay? Because shes a bay color but her legs are a silvery color like my silver buckskin mare and a more brown nose. But I have also heard that all bay babies have this color legs until they are about 1. We always had bay QH foals but their legs were the same color.

Also any suggestions with my moms mare?

Latest posts

Back