A few questions from a newbie...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MerMaeve

Reaction score
Hi everybody, new to minis. Hopefully getting two this summer/fall! One is pregnant, so it'll be until Oct./Nov. for her to be weaned from her foal, and I have yet to decide who I want.....doesn't help that I'm indecisive. LOL :p We've asked the breeder who we are buying from a few questions, but some I'd like more opinions on. :)

Poisonous plants/trees to avoid in the pasture?

How much acreage for two minis is enough? Is a 1/2 acre enough?

Is it good to get registered minis? Some we're looking at aren't registered...Does anyone know if they need to be registered to show at 4-H Fair? I know each Fair is probably different.

Should we have a vet check them out before buying or assume they're fine? I mean, it'd be one thing if you're going to ride your horse but....???? I'm hoping to do trick training eventually, walks, lunging, etc.

Thanks y'all!!!
-MM

A healthy horse is important, whether miniature or ridden. There are so many health issues with even a healthy horse, it's much better to get a good start. Buying a sow's ear and thinking one can make it into a silk purse is mostly fantasy. History of founder/laminitis would be #1 issue for me to look for. See if a farrier can check the horse before you buy, or at least ask to speak to the farrier used by the owners. Visit the horse this summer and see if there are skin issues. I've never seen a skin issue cleared up successfully, so don't torture yourself with choosing a horse with a skin issue.

If you plan to use the horse with children, be sure to ask if he bites, kicks, or even if he is dominant in the herd. You cannot change the temperament of an animal. If he is ornery now, he will stay ornery. A 250# miniature horse is a powerhouse.
Do not think registration is an issue, except in breed shows. So 4-H or a local Fair should not be an issue.
1/2 acre is fine for two miniatures. But they will need supplemental hay.
I wouldn't worry too much about poisonous plants; they will avoid those, unless they are starving. Check with your local County Extension Agent for any noxious plants in your area.
Every horse will teach you something. Even if the first horse you get isn't right for you, you will learn a lot from him.
Looking forward to hearing of your adventures!

A healthy horse is important, whether miniature or ridden. There are so many health issues with even a healthy horse, it's much better to get a good start. Buying a sow's ear and thinking one can make it into a silk purse is mostly fantasy. History of founder/laminitis would be #1 issue for me to look for. See if a farrier can check the horse before you buy, or at least ask to speak to the farrier used by the owners. Visit the horse this summer and see if there are skin issues. I've never seen a skin issue cleared up successfully, so don't torture yourself with choosing a horse with a skin issue.

If you plan to use the horse with children, be sure to ask if he bites, kicks, or even if he is dominant in the herd. You cannot change the temperament of an animal. If he is ornery now, he will stay ornery. A 250# miniature horse is a powerhouse.
Do not think registration is an issue, except in breed shows. So 4-H or a local Fair should not be an issue.
1/2 acre is fine for two miniatures. But they will need supplemental hay.
I wouldn't worry too much about poisonous plants; they will avoid those, unless they are starving. Check with your local County Extension Agent for any noxious plants in your area.
Every horse will teach you something. Even if the first horse you get isn't right for you, you will learn a lot from him.
Looking forward to hearing of your adventures!
Thank you so much for the good information, Marsha!!!

Marsha has given you some great advice. I also agree , Laminitis and previous founder would be at the top of my list when looking. I would definitely recommend getting a vet check done.

Only other thing I wanted to add was in regards to the 1/2 acre. Make sure you have some small yards/lots that you are able to confine your mini/minis too. These are great in the instance your mini becomes unwell or is starting to put on too much weight. In Australia, most horse owners have a "Jenny Craig" paddock or yard :)

Marsha has given you some great advice. I also agree , Laminitis and previous founder would be at the top of my list when looking. I would definitely recommend getting a vet check done.

Only other thing I wanted to add was in regards to the 1/2 acre. Make sure you have some small yards/lots that you are able to confine your mini/minis too. These are great in the instance your mini becomes unwell or is starting to put on too much weight. In Australia, most horse owners have a "Jenny Craig" paddock or yard :)
Thanks!

Another question, would it be good if our pasture is 1/2 acre, should we section it off to give one half a weeks rest then switch? Or will minis not wear down the pasture?

Well.....”fiddlesticks!” and “oh, pooh!” and other mild expletives. :confused::mad::confused:

I just wrote a lovely long response detailing how I’ve set up my 1/2 acre for minis AND a cut flower farm, and managed to delete it while attempting to upload pictures. Both Marsha and Ryan have given excellent advice, and I was adding my 3 cents’ worth about how I’m set up.

:eek: GAAAAAAAHHHH!!!:eek:

Since my self-imposed work day begins at 0900, I’ll have to come back and update. Suffice it to say that I use ~1/4 acre, split into three paddocks. I rotate between them and one is the Jenny Craig lot Ryan mentioned above. I will picket my horses out in the side yard while I’m either working there or enjoying a cool lemonade or tea. :D

To Ryan (HI RYAN!!!!), please pm me here or in our other forum. Partly to give me a tickler if you don’t see an update by 3 May, and partly just because we’re friends.;)

MerMaeve, you can tag me too. My micro-farmstead is called that for a reason. I’m happy to share my experiences.

Julie in North Carolina

Well.....”fiddlesticks!” and “oh, pooh!” and other mild expletives. :confused::mad::confused:

I just wrote a lovely long response detailing how I’ve set up my 1/2 acre for minis AND a cut flower farm, and managed to delete it while attempting to upload pictures. Both Marsha and Ryan have given excellent advice, and I was adding my 3 cents’ worth about how I’m set up.

:eek: GAAAAAAAHHHH!!!:eek:

Since my self-imposed work day begins at 0900, I’ll have to come back and update. Suffice it to say that I use ~1/4 acre, split into three paddocks. I rotate between them and one is the Jenny Craig lot Ryan mentioned above. I will picket my horses out in the side yard while I’m either working there or enjoying a cool lemonade or tea. :D

To Ryan (HI RYAN!!!!), please pm me here or in our other forum. Partly to give me a tickler if you don’t see an update by 3 May, and partly just because we’re friends.;)

MerMaeve, you can tag me too. My micro-farmstead is called that for a reason. I’m happy to share my experiences.

Julie in North Carolina
Ugh, don't you have it when you lose everything you just spend a really long time typing up?!?!
Thanks for the info.....I guess I'm afraid of getting it too small and having it turn into my neighbor's horse pasture......12 acre x two full sized horses = dirt in a short amount of time.

Yes, your minis can eat down a 1/2 acre in a few weeks.....even with giving additional hay. Fencing your acreage in half is probably a good idea, not only to give part of the pasture a rest, but in the off chance your two minis ever need to be separated. Marsha gave excellent advice, IMO.
If you are concerned about the personalities of the minis, go spend some time with them. You'll know after a couple of visits. Ask if you can lead them, groom them.....stuff like that.

Yes, your minis can eat down a 1/2 acre in a few weeks.....even with giving additional hay. Fencing your acreage in half is probably a good idea, not only to give part of the pasture a rest, but in the off chance your two minis ever need to be separated. Marsha gave excellent advice, IMO.
If you are concerned about the personalities of the minis, go spend some time with them. You'll know after a couple of visits. Ask if you can lead them, groom them.....stuff like that.
Thanks, that's kinda what I thought too.

Ugh, don't you have it when you lose everything you just spend a really long time typing up?!?!
Thanks for the info.....I guess I'm afraid of getting it too small and having it turn into my neighbor's horse pasture......12 acre x two full sized horses = dirt in a short amount of time.
Sorry I just realized that should have said 1/2 acre instead of 12 acres! :p

You have received wonderful advice here! I will add that my ponies live on a small track system, which is a great way to manage a smaller acreage. My track is very small but it's possible to build one on a larger property, and many people have them on large acreage. But my ponies have benefited from living on this system, even though it's small :)

The point is to keep them moving, foraging and keeping their mind engaged in their surroundings. I wish I had a hill and trees, but we are slowly getting there! (of course we won't have a hill, but I want to plant a few trees this year and next year.) Having different footings, such as sand and gravel is great for their foot health. Just be sure you don't have the sand where they will be eating.

Below is a link to a video where I show my track. There is a book by Jamie Jackson called Paddock Paradise that explains the idea behind the track system much better than I can. Also there is a Facebook page about track systems for horses. There are such beautiful tracks out there that people have put so much thought, time and money into. There are a few in France that make me a touch green with envy :D

You have received wonderful advice here! I will add that my ponies live on a small track system, which is a great way to manage a smaller acreage. My track is very small but it's possible to build one on a larger property, and many people have them on large acreage. But my ponies have benefited from living on this system, even though it's small :)

The point is to keep them moving, foraging and keeping their mind engaged in their surroundings. I wish I had a hill and trees, but we are slowly getting there! (of course we won't have a hill, but I want to plant a few trees this year and next year.) Having different footings, such as sand and gravel is great for their foot health. Just be sure you don't have the sand where they will be eating.

Below is a link to a video where I show my track. There is a book by Jamie Jackson called Paddock Paradise that explains the idea behind the track system much better than I can. Also there is a Facebook page about track systems for horses. There are such beautiful tracks out there that people have put so much thought, time and money into. There are a few in France that make me a touch green with envy :D

Nice! How big is your tack room, do you know? What are those red handle looking things on your hay bales?

@MerMaeve My tack room is 6' x 12'. I wouldn't mind it being a bit bigger so my Hyperbike fits a little better. I would love a place that I could roll the bike in to store it and I didn't have to either carry it in or take it apart. But it does hold all my personal gear as well as lots of tack for Chimacum Tack!

The red handled things on my hay stack are hay hooks. They are helpful for moving bales and stacking them!
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/countyline-hay-hook

Thank you @Maryann at MiniV This has been years in the making. We have lived here going on 8 years. We rent, so putting money into a place you don't own is a hard sell to the Hubby. But my ponies comfort is very important and I was losing too much hay to our winters and mold storing it under a tarp. I would have to buy double what I needed for the winter because I could pretty well guarantee I would lose at least half to mold. This last winter was wonderful having the shed!! And the little shed for the ponies was awesome. They haven't had a nice shed like this for a few years!

@MerMaeve My tack room is 6' x 12'. I wouldn't mind it being a bit bigger so my Hyperbike fits a little better. I would love a place that I could roll the bike in to store it and I didn't have to either carry it in or take it apart. But it does hold all my personal gear as well as lots of tack for Chimacum Tack!

The red handled things on my hay stack are hay hooks. They are helpful for moving bales and stacking them!
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/countyline-hay-hook

Thank you @Maryann at MiniV This has been years in the making. We have lived here going on 8 years. We rent, so putting money into a place you don't own is a hard sell to the Hubby. But my ponies comfort is very important and I was losing too much hay to our winters and mold storing it under a tarp. I would have to buy double what I needed for the winter because I could pretty well guarantee I would lose at least half to mold. This last winter was wonderful having the shed!! And the little shed for the ponies was awesome. They haven't had a nice shed like this for a few years!
Thanks for all the info, Mindy!! You rock!

There are such beautiful tracks out there that people have put so much thought, time and money into. There are a few in France that make me a touch green with envy :D

Well Mindy, I've been a touch green with envy of yours! ;)

I put in a track a few years ago on less than an acre, and it's been great for my QH! He is much more fit and less bored. I wish I could put May on it, but she inhaled anything my QH didn't eat and got tubby... I wish I had time to feed them separately and put her back put on the track but oh well. One day I'll have enough property to have a mini and a big guy track haha

I completely understand not wanting to put much money into somewhere you don't own. My horses live at my in-laws. It's not hard to convince hubby... but it takes me a bit to convince myself to do something lol.

Oh sorry.... a little off topic... though I do agree with a lot of the fencing suggestions.

Latest posts

Back