A critque please

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, going to add just my two cents for what they are worth (which probably isn't much but..........)

I am NOT going to even critque anything actually.....

But IMO to be a good horseperson (any age, sex, status ext.....) to make any horse look its best, whether it be a horse that just has a tiny fault here and there, or one that has so many you don't know where to begin, or even a multi National Champion horse, whatever your horse may be, to get that horse at it's best YOU have to be AWARE of its up points and down points. If you don't know where you horse is faulty at then you can't do others things to help dimenish that fault and make it not as noticble. We all want to think our horses are just perfect, but I have yet to see one (even mine) that I can't find something on it that I would like to just tweak a little bit.

So my whole post was just to say not to be so close minded that one can't listen to what others have to say (whether you agree/accept is not the point) the point is if one is able to allow themselfs to openly read and understand and think about what someone is saying and analyze it and see if you can understand WHY they are saying it........and then ask yourself, can/do you see it also?? Are there ways to improve it??

You may not be able to get all you want for your horse now as far as supplies/ext (and I started showing these minis when i was 12 and paid all my stuff then to - so I can put myself there) though I am 21 now.........if it wasn't for stepping back and seeing/listening to others (without the "momma goggles on") that I would have horses that look the way the do or able to present in a nice manner (I think) ext.....

OK CALM DOWN!!! Sweetie, you asked for a critique and you got one- next time, don't ask! Now, what to do with what we've got, right?? You can get a saddler to make you and extender strap for that show slip that will enable you to drop it down onto his nose a bit. That will cost peanuts (Pun intended!!) you can put a bit of weight on his neck- it is tied in just above the withers but, if you look at the picture of him in front of your lovely house you will see how much better he looks with his head a little lower- so, this is NOT a horse to show with his head in the air!! Also you can get a nice piece of biothane or leather and just literally glue it carefully on the inside of the noseband, this will give the illusion of a wider noseband without detracting from the show slip in any way, dropped down and inch or so on his nose with the extender that will "pull" his head together and just make the picture better. I would clip him- the coat is lovely but, on the rump, it starting to look a bit thick. Give him a really good bath (sorry if that;s what you've already done
smile.gif
) and then reappraise the coat length. If you clip now you will have enough regrowth for him to have his colour back. Then go to the show and show your heart out and enjoy yourself. Win or lose, if it's not fun it's not worth it. Good Luck.

Well said Barnbum. I too, don't think she was asking for an "overall critique". I know as a relative "newbie" that I wear my heart on my sleeve as far as my horses are concerned. At this point, I would have a hard time accepting some of the criticism I know I would get from some folks on this forum. As a 16 year old, she is responding as most 16 year olds would. I applaud you for working with the horse you have. Good luck and don't let any of this spoil your fun!

I think rabbitsfizz has some excellent suggestions on adapting the halter to better fit your horse, and I would suggest checking into finding someone who could implement those ideas-a local leatherworker,perhaps? Cost should be very minimal....

I would continue to work on condtioning the horse-to my eye, he could still be a bit trimmer through the 'middle'. Again, I agree with 'fizz; go ahead and body clip now, to give time for some regrowth of hair and regaining of true color-there does seem to be a bit 'longish' hair growth, especially over his croup/rump. I see a pretty nice neck, no sweating needed-just don't get him to elevate his chin quite so much. Also, I would suggest standing him more squarely-in the first two photos, he is actually 'leaning' forward over his front legs, which just doesn't look good.Show him so that he is standing square in front, perhaps teach him to stand with one hind leg slightly back, and the other squarely under him. This posture is pictured as allowable in the AMHA rulebook, and seems a good 'compromise' stance to help the croup appear slightly flatter, but without stretching the horse. Teach him to stand SLIGHTLY forward in front, then when you encourage him to stretch his neck-just a BIT, and not UP, but just forward and perhaps SLIGHTLy down, not up, he will end up standing square over his front legs, instead of leaning forward over them.

Clear as mud, huh?
wink.gif
Good luck at the show-enjoying what you do with your horse, and taking pride in your hard work and in your efforts to always be learning and improving, is what it should be about!

Here's what I originally said

Overall, I think he is a nice gelding, I see the little bit over at the knee thing too but it could be the shadow along his forearm making it look like that. I would get his heels trimmed down a bit, sweat his neck, clip him up and show!!! Have fun! If he were mine I would use a show halter with a wider noseband on him too. 
I did not critique him, simply said the over at the knee thing was likely a shadow and the rest of what I said are all things you could do with him before your show, get his heels trimmed down, sweat and clip. As for the comment on your halter I didn't say it was a horrible halter simply that "if he were mine" I would choose one with a wider noseband. I am sorry if you found any of that offensive
new_shocked.gif
I thought I was answering your question....

[SIZE=14pt]Feather first let me say that I do know you are just a teenager. Your title to the post was critique please. I have followed all your other posts about this horse and you indicated in those posts that you felt you were holding this horse back from making it to the Top. Wherever the "Top" is for you. With all that in mind I gave you what you asked for... a critique. As I said in the post if people only tell you what you want to hear and not what may or may not "burst your happy bubble" it doesnt teach you anything. Im not saying I am the expert but I do have years and years of learning behind me so that my horses and I are to the point of being competative at the National Level. I learned from people like Getetia, Erica, Belinda, Laura Tenell, Wade Burns, Doc Taylor and my trainer/mentor Bruce Abbott all people who are National Champion Title holders. When I was hard headed and thought I knew it all from showing Arabians I couldnt even get a top 10! I have learned more in the past 5 years from these people than I learned in 20 before that.They didnt always say what I wanted to hear but said what I NEEDED to hear to get my horses where they are now. Im sorry you got your feelings hurt. Now we know that we cant tell you anything but what you want to hear or you will get mad. That is also a typical teenage response and after raising 3 into adult hood thats why I dont take offense to your attitude. Then you should also not take offense to teaching offered.[/SIZE]

Lyn

Oh i thought of one more thing.. again not much you can do in 10 days to change his weight although i dont think it is that bad he isnt that heavy (you should see our gelding) Anyway doesnt mean dont work him for the next 10 days but dont expect miracles in that time but another trick is to see if you can get him to park out a bit more then you normally do this tends to give the illusion of a more tucked up tummy

nevermind---sorry

Last edited by a moderator:
Erica made a good point about knowing your horses strengths and weaknesses and showing to hide or compliment their conformation. If you look at the 2 original photos you have set the horse up differently. The more stretched photo makes his rear end look weak as opposed to the squarer setup which looks better. Have someone take photos(many people have digital you don't have to develop) and honestly look at what looks best to compliment your horse. Sometimes raising or lowering the head makes all the difference. This are the little tips the pros use to best show their horses.

As far as clipping, as stated you are a teenager and I wonder how experienced you are at body clipping. I don't think his haircoat looks bad but think a bad clip job would be worse. You have to decide.

Everyone starts showing halter when they begin showing horses as this is the easiest class to show in. Not all horses are halter horses and not all horses are driving horses. You obviously care about your horses and spend the time and effort to get the most out of them. Just go out and show and have fun. Keep your mind open to the gems of knowledge that will make you a better horsewoman and remember that most of the top trainers started out showing youth somewhere and paid their dues along the way.

Yes.

I am sorry for being rude and I was a little on edge and I am sorry. I DID ask for a critique about my horse, and I got what I asked for, only a little more so.

I havent been having the greastest week in the world, so that is playing a part in this as well.

Yes Erica, I fully beleive in what you are saying and I will say it again, I know Dealer has faults, thats why he is a GELDING. This is also why he was for sale for so cheap, and why he doesnt have national halter titles, but still. He is perfect in performance for me, and thats where his future lies.

Results don't lie about performance. Hi-point youth at his first real show by himself, I think that is PRETTY awesome. I got third overall hi-point youth, but the girl that won had her gelding for 4 years, the other girls horse has been doing this for YEARS and has more super horse awards then you can count. I have only had Dealer since January, and I have only been working with him for about 3 months. He just figured out showmanship in May. For a horse that has really only been working on performance for 2 months or so, I think that is INCREDIBLE.

And Dealer does have a few grand champion gelding titles under hid belt. I would just like to point that out.

Jamie, you said Dealer was on steroids when you got him- well, kudos to you for trying to get him back where he (illegally) has already been!! Don't get upset if it takes longer to do, I in no way think you are holding him back, if he had a say in this I think he would say he would rather be living with you and win a few ribbons than back where he was, being kept the way he was, and winning lots.

Wow, what a lucky horse to have you. [SIZE=14pt]You go gal[/SIZE]! Lots of luck and I do hope you wipe them out! Mary

Feather1414 said:
But this is MY horse, and I will LOVE him no matter what he looks like. I don't care if he isnt a national caliber halter horse-he is a performance horse and a darn good one too! Some of you will be scared to compete against him when I really get him going!

418799[/snapback]

Thank you Rabbit.

I have been working on him to LEGALLY get him beack where he should be. He is being worked 30 min a day and he is on a pretty good feeding program. I am really proud of the progress he has made, although he still has the knot where they gave him the shots. Its right in the nice part of his neck, so I am mad about that. Any ideas how to get rid of it? You cant see it now due to all the hair, but hey.

I agree with you...it would be nice if people just gave what one asked for when posting. Asking for help to get him ready for a show is one thing but to get a full blown critique is another!! Odd how so many can go off on a tangent but guess we have to learn to deal with this when we are on forums and you do handle it well Good luck in your showing...I think he is a lovely horse and lucky to have you. Mary

Feather1414 said:
Thank you Lyn, and no hard feelings. I think its really cool the way you do say what you see. I did ask for a critique, and its what I got. I am not very competitive in halter with him because its just not my favorite thing in the world.
I agree with what you say, except for the over at the knees part, and the ewe neck, but these are only pictures, and they can be deceiving. Thank you again for critiquing him. I don't want to sound rude, but I wasn't actually asking for an overall critique, I just wanted to know what people thought I should do for him to get him ready for the show.

And once again, Dealer is a gelding because he is NOT perfect. I have no problems admitting that. I honestly believe that everything should be gelded, except for the true top horses. Dealer is also only a youth horse, and his strong point is performance. He is still my horse and I love him, no matter what he looks like.

418685[/snapback]

Lisa, I loved the way you gave some helful hints as to getting this horse ready for the show....which was asked for. This is the kind of info she was asking for and is of help. Three cheers for a helping hand! Mary

Lisa-Ruff N Tuff Minis said:
Without reading any replies the one thing that stands out to me is i would see if you could have some heel taken off. He looks a bit club footed but that is a common issue on minis as most farriers dont take off enough heel I know i have a couple that tend to grow more heel then toe and one who grows all toe
wacko.gif
Now that said he is a cute little gelding.. however dont think here is much you can truly do short of clipping him to have him looking much different in 10 days.

I also have a gelding i am working tons he looks heavy in foal sigh... our show is the 15th and 16th and really at this point i cant do much to make him look better so just have to take him - go for it and learn and have fun.

I have heard although my horse is not the right color for this but may try anyway since he is only 29 in.. that if you clip the belly with say a 15 and the body with a 10 or body with 15 and belly with a 30 whatever is you clip the belly shorter then the rest of the horse it helps slightly with the illusion of a more tucked up tummy. Not sure it works though and belive me your guy is in 100 times better shape then mine
yes.gif

418707[/snapback]

Now those are some excellent pointers for getting him ready for the show which I think this gal asked for!

rabbitsfizz said:
,You can get a saddler to make you and extender strap for that show slip that will enable you to drop it down onto his nose a bit.  That will cost peanuts (Pun intended!!) you can put a bit of weight on his neck- it is tied in just above the withers but, if you look at the picture of him in front of your lovely house you will see how much better he looks with his head a little lower- so, this is NOT a horse to show with his head in the air!!  Also you can get a nice piece of biothane or leather and just literally glue it carefully on the inside of the noseband, this will give the illusion of a wider noseband without detracting from the show slip in any way, dropped down and inch or so on his nose with the extender that will "pull" his head together and just make the picture better.  I would clip him- the coat is lovely but, on the rump, it starting to look a bit thick.  Give him a really good bath (sorry if that;s what you've already done
smile.gif
) and then reappraise the coat length.  If you clip now you will have enough regrowth for him to have his colour back.  Then go to the show and show your heart out and enjoy yourself. Win or lose, if it's not fun it's not worth it.  Good Luck.
418909[/snapback]

Latest posts

Back