A couple questions from a new mini owner

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HorseyGurl22

Reaction score

Hi there! I'm new to the mini horse worl and had a few questions about my new babies. First a little about them. I have 2 mini's a black mare named Taylor Tinker Toy (Tinker for short)born '91, and palimino paint Cypress Meadows Cowboys Conquest (Rascal for short) born'96. They are mother and son and both are registered with the american miniature horse association, inc.

My first question is about Tinker. I was wondering if she would be too old to breed again? She's been bred 4 times now. I was kind of hopeing to get another baby from her since her son Rascal turned come out so nice and did well in the show ring from what I've heard.

Next question is for Rascal. He use to show in halter classes and from what I hear did really well, I wanted to try and get him back into it. Not so much to win, but for my own experience. I've never shown a horse in halter classes before (I ride the big guys in hunter jumping). I'm not really sure how to go about re-training him for the show ring. Any advice?

Also wanted to know about feeding them. I head from a couple of mini folks that you shouldn't feed them hay as long as they have enough pasture to graze on. Is this true?

Thank you in advance for any information you can give me!!!!

Hey welcome to the wonderful world of minis. Here is mucho information from another part of this board. You maybe able to find some of you answers here. Also keep reading posts. You can do a search for past posts on those subjects too.

Last edited by a moderator:
[SIZE=14pt]Hi,[/SIZE]

Welcome to the forum! And I think Tinker would still be able to have a couple more foals for you! She just 14 years old and in the prime of her life! I've known mares to have healthy babies well into there 20's! As long as shes healthy, I say go for it!

Bill

I agree with Bill.
yes.gif
There have been many mares who continue to produce way into their 20s.

As far as feeding programs go....there are as many of those as there are people!
biggrin.gif

Basically....good grass is fine if you have plenty. But what about winter? You will probably have to feed some hay then. And if you want to show....you won't want them out on grass 24/7....as most minis will get fat that way.

I use a combination of good qualtiy hay, a few hours of grazing time each day & a complete pelleted feed.

Well that's good to know that my Tinker might still be able to give me a baby or 2.

As far as the grass, I live in Florida so we grass almost year round, with just few months of weather cold enough to kill off the grass. I'm still thinking about and researching showing minis (any other good web links will be appreciated) but I think Rascal will be a good "guinea pig" horse to start with
biggrin.gif

I would to interested in hearing other people feeding guilds, especially if you live in Florida too.

I've known mares who have been bred up to 21 years old if they are on good health.

Follow Rebelshope's lead and go into the link she provided. It will answer many of your questions.

Your little mare is NOT too old to breed. She should be in the prime of her life and give you a half dozen babies if you want them...... A well-cared for mare will happily continue foaling well into her 20's.

Rascal would probably LOVE being shown. I'm sure he remembers much of what he was taught, but will need some reminding.

Enjoy your little ones!

MA

Welcome to the Mini World!

Regarding your mare, Tinker, we have two mares that were born in 1983 that are still producing and 10 of our mares born prior to 1991 in our broodmare band. So, unless there is a physical problem, you should be able to get a few foals from her.

For Rascal if he's been shown he probably knows the ropes, see if there is a local trainer to give you pointers, many will do individual lessons of season.

As for your feeding, if someone told you not to feed hay if you have enough pasture, they probably meant you don't need to give both as minis in generally gain weight easily and you could have a couple of pudges running around quickly. Our horses that are on pasture are fed hay once a day and I do have chunky horses, but the broodmares I like a bit fatter than to thin. The dry lot horses get hay 2x a day, some grass to eat during the day and grain.

Good luck with your minis and don't be afraid to ask questions here - we've all been there at one time!

Latest posts

Back