A call out to anyone with a young dwarf mini

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well said John!

Could you post what a type 1 dwarf would be? I was talking to someone last week that has a orphan dwarf foal that she was trying to find a home for. I will see if they still have her. If a orphan would even work.

Heidi

Since John has not explained on this post the Type 1 Dwarf he is looking for, here is a link to what he has already described earlier on the Dwarfism Forum.

Dwarf Forum Response: Types of Dwarfism

John, I commend you for taking an ACTIVE role in finding some concrete evidence for dwarfism. It would be absolutely fantastic if we could understand the genetic operation of the dwarfism genetics, and use it to help make more educated breeding decisions in the future.

It can only mean good things to the miniature horse breed as a whole.

If possible, PLEASE post pictures or drawings of the Dwarfism Types to help people understand what you are looking for. It can only help you get the specimens (!) you need.

Thank you for your dedication,

Andrea

Definitely not in poor taste! If I had one, I'd donate it. Can you imagine: finding the gene/link that causes it and ELIMINATING this horrible defect- forever?

Lucy

I haven't read this post completely so do not know exactly what type one is but I do know of someone that has a dwarf that actually is reaching the point the animal will need to be euthanized due to physical problems. I don't know if they will be willing to give the animal up but I can ask I you are interested.

I see maybe I should have explained myself further. I do NOT have an issue with research, I was more concerned at the way it was asked. I understood what would happen to the horse but I am sure that some would not know by reading the original post that the horse would be put down in the end to test further. The fact is some people don't have any idea what happens to these test animals and I would feel awful if someone donated a horse and was shocked when they found out what was happening or going to happen to it. I should have explained what I meant in my second post. I would also like to add that my thinking is not that far off as I have received many pm's from people who feel the same but would not post.

So true!. I feel badly that anyone would be against the reasearch you are doing. Life isn't always a bed of roses and there are things that have to be done to assure other living things can live better. I have never had a dwarf but if I did I would gladly donate in hopes that in the future other little animals will not have the suffering that many dwarfs of today and the past will not have to be. Good job John.
default_aktion033.gif

[ I dont get on here and make comments about certain threads that I dont think should be here or that I think the topic is worthless. Every thread has some value to someone in this industry.

Respectfully,

John

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a reminder to all regarding the rules of the forum:

PERSONAL DISPUTES - Please do not use these forums for personal disputes, flame wars etc. You are expected to treat each other with respect in the forums and take any personal disputes to a private mode of discussion off the forums. If you should find that your discussion is becoming too heated or someone is becoming far too passionate about their argument, please take the discussion to private message.

RESPECT OTHER USERS - Sometimes people can write something that you may find offensive. Before launching into a public condemnation though, please consider that the person may not have intended to cause offence. It is very easy to misinterpret a post on forums. There is absolutely no need to resort to insults. Respect others' views even if you disagree with them. Use the emoticons (smilies) in your messages so people will know the tone of your post.

My only question is...how many of these dwarf foals do you need??? Is it only one that is going to give you all your answers, or are you going to need "several"???

The only problem I have as far as research goes, is that countless animals are "destroyed", yet it never fully answers the questions we have. A good point that you brought up is people with cancer...while it is an admirable thing that people donate themselves to study, we are decades into research, and cancer is still not preventable nor is it treatable. Sure we have methods to slow it down or temperarily make it disappear, but that's just extending one's life. Research has done very little because cancer is so much more common now days.

I agree research can be a very valuable thing...I'm just curious to how many horses you'll need to conduct this one?

I agree research can be a very valuable thing...I'm just curious to how many horses you'll need to conduct this one?
I'm not John
default_wink.png
- but I doubt that there is any kind of a definitive answer to that. When the "key" to the genetic puzzle is found - it could be years from now. Or next month. But every step along the way is a vital part of the process...

John - please never hesitate to come to us for help... we love Cowboy dearly, but if he was beginning to struggle and you needed an older, sassy, full of himself little guy to help out, I would not hesitate to send him on to you, hoping that he could help in some way...

Horseplay and My mini Charlie,

I do treat these horses like gold, the few that I have I trim them and work on there teeth, etc, all the time. IF you only knew the difficulty I have been thru in the last 15 yrs that I have been working on this, you would know the few I have recieved I have "cherished" to learn all I can because I might not ever get another one, due to this problem being taboo.

I have been in this industry for almost 30 years, I see dwarfs abused by lack of care EVERYWHERE, due to the owners ignorance and thinking that they ARE NORMAL, just small. They are NOT normal. I have quite an understanding of their needs, even the University does not know how to manage them. BTW my family (LKF) donated some normal minis over 20 years ago to UK's research horse farm. They have had dwarfs at UK and they had no idea how to care for them, so they just put them down asap. I am caring for the ones in my research BECAUSE I know how to. I do not and am not belittling any of these dwarfs, if I could I would take them all and make sure that at least I would have xrays and DNA from all of them that exist and help them live a decent life, so NONE of them would live a hard short life in vain for any human. But alas we have owners afraid of what might be known, and how it will affect the breed or their program. Unfortunately we are not the Angus or Hereford cattle breed where their dwarf problem was slaughtered out within a decade. We will have to breed it out, we need answers. I came here I guess hoping and assuming since there is a dwarf section I moderated that there might be some openness to my research necessities, and I just hope those of you that think putting down a well cared for dwarf for the ultimate answers is not worth the sacrifice or is wrong, I ask you to then gather all the dwarfs you can and care for them properly until they can live no longer and then tell me that it is quite alright to continue to keep our heads in the sand.

Respectfully John

Please dont take this the wrong way...

The majority of you here agree that if a horse (mare or stallion) produces a dwarf that it should not be bred again, is that correct? Or at least consider them "high risk" and are careful who you breed them to next time so as not to produce another dwarf, right?

From my understanding, both sire and dam must carry the "dwarf gene" in order to produce a dwarf, correct?

So then,

I want to ask everyone, IF John can pinpoint a certain gene throughout miniature horses that causes dwarves, IF he can narrow that gene down to certain bloodlines, are you all willing to stop breeding the horses who carry that gene in order to eliminate dwarfism all together? What if the horse was a national champion, well known mare/stallion? For the betterment of the breed, you would "cull" your breeding program and stop breeding horses that are known carriers of this dwarf gene?

You can't honestly tell me that you would.

Dwarves are everywhere. No matter how much experience the farm has in the breeding industry. You dont hear of dwarves on the big name farms, not because they dont exsist, but because those farm owners dont want you to know they do.

I'm not saying that Johns research is a bad thing. I'm not flaming him, or anyone else for doing it. But I won't have any part in it. Thats a choice I am personally making.

This post will most likely make my name mud in the industry, but thats okay. My love for horses is more important to me then sending off a poor helpless foal to be stuck with needles and then euthanized in order to gain more "answers".

Again, I am not flaming anyone who chooses to do this. We all are capable of making choices that are right for us.

In this circumstance, this choice is not right for me.

Sorry Mary Lou...I posted before reading your post.

You are correct, and I've started a new thread with my response to Erin's question.

If I had one, John, it would be on its way. This is a wonderful thing you are working on and even though it meant that the dwarf would eventually be euthanized to complete the research I know it would be well cared for and safe until that day came. I don't think there is anything sad or tragic about your request.

[SIZE=14pt]WOW, as an owner of a wonderful dwarf (along with other "show quality" mini's) I am very disturbed by this post!!! Mine leads a wonderful life and is so loving to everyone! He has taught many children how to care for horses!! I can not imagine using him for research!! Just because they are not show horses they are still living, feeling, beings!!
default_no.gif
How sad![/SIZE]

Latest posts

Back