A branch off of Jacquee's Sabino Question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilhorseladie

Reaction score
Ok...Now I know you guys have seen him before and I said he was registered as a Grey roan...

Ok...the "flea bites" seem evenly dispersed in his skin, and he mostly looks black. He does have the chin spot ( I asked about this before and got no answers) and his father was a pinto...is it possible that this "roaning" is Sabino "ticking" coloring? I keep reading my book and this is what I am coming up with. I know that to know for sure I would have to send it in but I too want to learn...I'm reading the book...just need some application.

storm3.jpg

stormcolor2.jpg

stormcolor.jpg

I don't have a picture of his white lips...and chin, but he does have white there also. He is 7 years old and this does not lighten. This is the same color he has been since he was a yearling.

Last edited by a moderator:
If the white "roaning" shows on his face also, he is not a "true" roan, but Sabino. The white chin spot is a characteristic of Sabino as well. It is possible that one parent may have been a Tovero (Tobiano + Sabino) and threw the Sabino gene and not the Tobiano. He can be tested for the Tobiano gene, but as of yet there is no test for Sabino. I understand that they are working on one, but not ready yet.

Your boy is a very unusual color. Quite unique.

Thank you and yes that "roaning" continues onto his face...is in his mane and tail and on his legs...and belly...It never shows as well in pictures...but in person it is a different sight.

Your boy definitely looks sabino to me. He appears to have a blaze and socks which are very typical sabino characteristics. It also appears that his socks have the 'knife-like' points to them, also very typical sabino.

He reminds me very much of my mare, Redrock Corkers Sandy Lassie. She has the roaning through her body with a blaze and hind socks with knife points. Sandy has produced both minimum to maximum sabinos.

[SIZE=14pt]Becky could he be Rabicano??? Thats a strange one that Ive been trying to understand. I thought that this colt might be that.[/SIZE]

Lyn

[SIZE=14pt]Lyn,[/SIZE]

I looked up Rabicano...that is a "tick" with a banded tail...not sure I see that on my guy in his pic, but I may have to look at him again tomorrow. My horses are a rainbow of interesting colors! I so want to learn all this stuff and it is confusing, but interesting to try to learn.

I have a chestnut mare (Ripple) with this type of roaning and was told she is a minimal sabino. She doesn't have the other typical expressions though; no chin spot, and only a very thin single coronet band. That's why I thought for the longest time that she couldn't be sabino.

I think it is a really cool look (like she's a bit frosted) and folks are always asking me about it. I think Lewella was one who finally identified it to me as sabino.

Is it my imagination, or do I see more chestnut sabinos than black? I've heard that there are many more black pinto shetlands than red pinto; because (and I'm trying to reproduce what I think I may have read a while ago) the pinto gene is located in a particular place on the locus? (smoke is starting to come out of my ears now) in most shetland lines. Just wondering if this explains more red than black sabinos too?

I love color genetics, but it's a real brain-cooker.
wacko.gif

Suzanne

I think he is Grey- I have always thought it. I think what is confusing people is perhaps the poor quality of the photos with that strange blotchiness- is it possible to get some good quality photos?? I am not meaning to be rude to you
smile.gif
All your photos seem to have this strange finish, and Yes you 'orrible lot , I do have my reading glasses on!! There is Sabino + Minimal Tobiano- possibly, possible minimal Splash, you need to be sure what pattern his parents were.

I also think he is Sabino.
yes.gif
Sabinos often have more roaning in the flank area...which your guy has. I don't think he is a true gray if he's been this same color since he was a yearling. If he were a true gray, he would be getting a bit lighter each year.

I think he is minimal sabino. I have a chestnut filly whose sire is a sabino and she has the white ticking and a sock and wide blaze.

i agree that he is not a grey as he would definately have lightened by now. although greys lighten at different speeds, from these pics he does not look grey.

We have a breeding stock paint that is a rabicano and she looks different from this guy. she has the roaning but a very distinct pattern of white across the tail dock.

jennifer
saludando.gif

Yes this is what is considered Sabino roaning or "ticking". He's got quite alot of roaning, very neat! He is most definetly not grey, being 7 years old, you would have seen some changes in his color by now.

You can see from the second photo that his tail head is black, there is no striping present which would indicate Rabicano.

In general, (breed & parentage is a factor) red based horses have alot more white expression than black based horses. There is some genetic factor that comes along w/ being black based that restricts the expression of white.

Latest posts

Back