A Big project

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hylights

Reaction score
Hi,

I haven't been here for a couple years, I had an oversized mini I rescued from neglect, got healthy, and trained to drive, I placed her 2 yrs ago and her family adores her, last year I lost my beloved gelding at 25 and find myself thinking I wanted to venture back into mini's ( I do still have a standardbred mare that I drive) I have been looking, and there was a mini mare in an adjoining paddock to my standy mare, who I have boarded out for the winter. I frequently found the mini in my horses paddock or stall with her,the BO said my mare loves the mini
default_unsure.png
and I started looking harder for a mini.(not to share her paddock or stall! but as another horse living here when I bring her home)

I may have taken on a project I will need help and support with though! I met a pair of mini mares yesterday who are mother and daughter, and have never been seperated, filly is coming 2 yr old. Mare has had 4 foals and is very obese, filly is in good shape. They have not been worked with at all, but well cared for as in feet, vaccs, wormings, etc, they had a big pasture by day and stalled at night, but the filly is not halter trained and they have "wrangled" her for her vet and farrier care, she is somewhat distrustful. They get hay and grain to bring them in at night, and candy. So I need to excerise the mare and teach the filly to lead and trust. Oh they are red/white pinto's the filly is so very pretty with big brown eyes, tiny little tippy ears and delicate muzzle, about 32" mom has a blue eye on her off side which they question how her sight is? The eye looks healthy, but they feel she is skittish of anyone on that side.... I forgot to take pictures, and I won't be bringing them home for 3 weeks...

Plans? can I teach an old mare new tricks, like lunging? leading?

Absolutely...just time and patience...

Several years back I bought a coming 6 year old mare that had never been handled except maybe once a year she too was "wrangled" for shots and trimming. Luckily she has the most loving disposition, so she was won over quite quickly...and I even harness trained her when she was 10 or 11 years of age.

Ps our Brady was 8 when we adopted him through the rescue right after he had his eye removed. He seemed so lost and confused. Couldn't get within 30 feet of him. He was almost aggressive if u tried to get near him. Now he is a love bug and has such a goofy personality!! He is mellow and has such a innocent way about him. I call him my diamond in the rough!

Latest posts

Back