9.3 pony questions!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mini named T

Reaction score
Hello all! So I used to ride and jump and do all that lovely jazz haha up until a few weeks ago. I had a massive seizure which they found out was epilepsy and I can’t ride for a while! So I’m currently looking for a mini pony or small pony to work with in the meantime just to walk around and have fun with! I found one that is 9.3 hands and 350 pounds who is adorable but my question is I’m thinking of maybe sitting on the mini I get while someone stands next to me or be lead around for a minute on the pony. I’m about 5 ft tall maybe 4”11 and weight about 90 pounds maybe a little less and I’m wondering even though I’ll look ridiculous could I get away either sitting on a pony that’s 9.3 or being led around for a second or would it hurt the pony? The last thing I want to do is hurt it! Thoughts? Thanks!

No, you should not sit on a mini or small pony, it would hurt them. There are tons of things to do with them that are just as much fun as riding.

I agree with Taz, I wouldn't be sitting on a mini or small pony either. They are just too small to hold the weight of an adult.

Theres so many things you will be able to do with your mini without riding. Obstacle courses, tricks, agility training, In hand showing etc.

Hope you are feeling ok after your seizure and the time passes quickly so you can get back in the saddle :)

I’m only 5”1 and have ridden a devil pony of about 44 inches tall.… about 11 hh I think. I was way too big for him and he hated me LOL so that didn’t last long. Then there is that YouTube video of a lady riding the little pony… why would you ride in those heels??🤣🤣 …. I mean poor pony!

Why not teach your new mini/pony how to drive a cart! You could get a KBike from Mindy or a hyperbike. Driving a bike is as close to riding as you can get, I think you’ll be surprised. I got soooo into mini horses that I stopped riding altogether and retired my old trail horse several years ago. I am having a blast with my minis and haven’t looked back. There are so many fun things to do with mini horses!!

Here is a video of me & Stormy driving in our new bike for the first time!!

Or you could get a real tiny mini and go roller skating with him… 🤣🤣here is me and Thunder….

If you get your new pony, you’ll have to post pics!! 💕

Last edited:
The rule is that an animal can carry 20% of its body weight on its back. A 200# mini (like my boys) would be a max of ~40#
A 350# pony would be ~70#

If you are 90#, that would be too much for small pony.
You would probably need maybe a large pony or small horse (like mustang size) around 12-13 hands.

that said, having a mini/pony to just keep you active and 'in the groove' is a great idea :)

as shown above, you could also consider driving, even if led by someone else to ensure your safety in case you have an attack.

Welcome Mini T! You are in the right place to ask questions! :) I’m sorry to read about your diagnosis and have no doubt you will work through - you’re a horse person!

Horse people are: resilient, resolute, patient, creative, curious, generous, endure, strong, can laugh and cry in equal amounts, move hay, manure, and feed, and can back up several tons of truck, trailer, and horse into the ‘right spot’.😊

I agree with all of the above. (That is a sad photo of the lady and pony!)

There are so many activities to enjoy with a small equine, with or without a cart. Sometimes simply grooming is enough. I’ve learned that small horses smell every bit as good as their larger cousins! 🤗

All the best!

Latest posts

Back