9/20/04& 9/21/05--Sad days for me

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minisaremighty

Reaction score
Last year on Sept. 20, a gorgeous colt that I had purchased (and waited for for months) died of colic just days before I was to bring him home. Broke my heart and I left the forum for a few months.

Just yesterday, Sept. 21, I said goodbye to my mare. She went to a wonderful new home. I am happy that I found just the perfect horsey mom for her.

I went back and forth on selling her so much this summer it wasn't even funny. But then "life" happened and made the decision for me. Not only did I have to place her, I had to back out of buying a beautiful little colt from one of our special forum members. Hard decisions to make, many tears were shed, but I had to put horses before myself. Had to tell myself what I always tell the kids, "you cannot always have what you want," really hard words to hear.
no.gif
I could not risk having a vet bill that I couldn't pay. I pretty much have stayed away from the forum since I had to make the decisions.

My mare gave me a really wonderful memory to keep forever though only an hour before she left. I had purchased a new halter and lead for her to take with her and had tried to put it on her on Tuesday. She would have nothing to do with it. Wrong color and it smelled clean (oh horrors!!)
new_shocked.gif
rolleyes.gif
. Anyhow, yesterday, I was sitting with her and talking to her about the new mom she was going to have, then I went on to tell her how wonderful she has been for me, how much I love her, and thanked her for being her. When I paused for a moment, she took her head out of my lap, put her nose down to the halter (which was on the ground behind me) and picked it up and placed it in my lap, then she let me place it right over her nose. I swear I almost lost it right then and there. If you had only seen what a butt she'd been only 24 hrs before because she did NOT want that strange colored thing near, you would be totally as amazed as I was.

Her new mom contacted me last night after they arrived and this morning and she is settled in nicely already. She's such an easy going horse, I'm going to miss her. I'm going to invite her mom to join the forum, as she is a first time mini owner (but born and raised around horses).

Thanks for letting me share. I know I can always count on you guys for support. YOU completely understand whereas friends and family don't always get it.

Big hugs to you, Kathy. It sounds like your beloved mare is in a really good, loving home and I'm sure the new owner will keep you updated with pictures, emails, etc. You definitely made a responsible decision, even though it was a tough one.
yes.gif

Take care,

Liz R.

P.S. So what color WAS the halter?
biggrin.gif

Kathy--

I am sorry to hear that you finally had to sell your horses. I hope things work out for you and you are able to own them again in the future.

Having personally known your mare, Thunder, (and owning her for a short time myself) I'm sure she will make her new mom very happy. Thunder has always had such a sweet, laid-back personality which she got from both her sire and dam (having known them personally too). I hope your new friend decides to join the forum and give us all updates on that sweet little mare.

I sent you a PM...

Erin

Aw, I'm crying from reading that. I'm so glad you told her those things, they understand more than you might think. I'm so sad that you lost your colt and that you had to give up your mare. But it's out of love for her. Letting go is very hard but is for the best some times. I know she'll bring much joy and love to her new mom! You did what you had to do. {{{{Hugs}}}}

Kathy,

Your post gave me goose-bumps..... What a hard bittersweet decision you made. But I deeply feel you will have another little horse in the future.

Please come by when ever you have a chance....

MA

Thanks all. I'm missing my girl, but I KNOW she went to such a good home. She is being started in in-hand trail and jumping next week with future hopes of driving.

LOL! Liz!!
biggrin.gif
The old halter was an emerald color and the new one was cranberry.
rolleyes.gif

Thanks MA, I think I will be taking you up on that! Nice to have a HUGE mini farm nearby anytime I have a major urge to hug a mini!!
smile.gif

Latest posts

Back