8 month old filly

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

debbiesshelties

Reaction score
Hello,

I have an adorable little 8 month old filly. In the 4 months I have owned her she has developed a pot belly. She has been dewormed and even had the 5 day Safegard. I am feeding her a pound(3 cups) of 14% pelleted feed in the am with hay and a pound and a half(4 cups) of same in the evening with hay. WHAT AM I DOING WRONG??? Does she need more?

She is not tiny will mature around 32"-33". I have never had this problem before. Should I think about a supplement with a higher protein. Triple Crown 30% supplement? Sorry this was long but I am really concerned about my little girl. Thanks for any and all advice.

Debbie

A feed designed for growing and immature horses is your best bet. It needs to have high quality protein, with the correct balance of vitamins and minerals.

Not sure what you are feeding but I would recommend a feed designed for growth, junior or a mare and foal feed. That plus a quality hay and/or pasture should eliminate pot bellies.

A feed designed for growing and immature horses is your best bet. It needs to have high quality protein, with the correct balance of vitamins and minerals.

Not sure what you are feeding but I would recommend a feed designed for growth, junior or a mare and foal feed. That plus a quality hay and/or pasture should eliminate pot bellies.
I will try putting her back on the mare and foal. Thanks for the advice.

Debbie

I'm also thinking it's lack of proper nutrition for her growing body. It took me years to figure out a great feeding program for my younguns, but last year I think I finally got it! My weanlings-2 yr. Olds are now fed free choice alfalfa/grass hay mix along with the recommended amount of omelene 300 split into morning and night feedings (my yearling colt who is on track to mature 33" is fed 2 big frosting cups of omelene 300 morning and night. Can't remember how much in pounds, but I have a scale and measure each feeding). Everyone has been filled out beautifully with no pot bellies, not ugly yearling ganglies and they're very mature, very active.

You'll probably have to do a little trial and error, but i'd start with giving her more hay and then making sure she's getting the amount of the 14% feed recommended and if she's already at that, increase a little of that too. Is the 14% a complete feed or a sweet feed?

Last edited by a moderator:
Another thing I would also suggest is to start worming her with Ivermectrin and a Pyrantel Pomate. Not all at once of course. Safeguard is a perfectly good wormer when they are younger but its not very powerful. Usually what I do is worm them with Safeguard but when they are weaned at 4 months I start worming them with the regular schedule and rotating them with Ivermectrin and a Pyrantel Pomate.

And like the others have said put her on a mare/foal feed.

Latest posts

Back