75 - 125 Kansas Minis "OMG Please help by WRITING!!"

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just gross. Those poor horses...

Thanks for the alert...has anyone got some contact info for local tv stations/newspapers....I think maybe we should wait a day, but something needs to be done to get them some food for one, and veterinary care.

Liz

I also sent an email to KSHB Action News - [email protected] located in Kansas City, KS. If we all write, the word will get out and the sheriff will have no choice but to investigate and do something for these poor horses!!! He may have tried to ignore the situation in the past, but no more!!!

Unbelievable!!
default_sad.png

Have sent emails and urging all my family and friends to do the same

OMG -- this sickens me -- I live in Kansas and have never heard of that farm even.. I did a mapquest and they are 3 1/2 hours from me -- from the pictures it looks like there are MANY horses there and I know I could never take them all in but I would be glad to try and help so please if anyone hears anymore let me know and I also have some friends in the state that may be willing to take in a few as well.. So I am sure we could help get some of these little guys back on their feet and hopefully get them into nice homes once they were back in shape..

I really hope that someone will do something and get these little guys the care they need.. I dont understand how someone could do that to them
default_sad.png

Feel free to PM me if my help is needed..

For those of you that are interested I contacted the nearest ASPCA and was told the following:

"The ASPCA is a local thing not a national orginization, they have guide lines that they must follow, as well as not being able to go out of the area that funds them. They cannot go out of their jurisdiction"

The only response I got from anyone about this is the County Attorneys office and brief "ok we will go look I think I know who this is" from the Sherrif of that county. As yet I have not heard back from him. the newspapers and tv stations have not gotten back to me either. I called the Governors office and got " it is not for us to do anything call someone else ( paraphased) . It seems that no one wants to take responsibility for this problem. It appears that no state has an agency that can or will take responsibility for keeping Animals from such a disaster. Maybe one of our goals should be to form a state wide with arrest powers agency, then we would have a place to go get some action. I personally want to say a big thank you for all the help you are giving these little guys. If the report is acurate as it seems, many may have to be put down. Saving these horses is going to be a major undertaking for who ever gets them, please keep that in mind as well. Many of these horses are mares in foal and most of the heavy look is the foal.

Gini thanks for listening to me and adviseing me. I know I can get very agressive about an emergency like this. It may be a good thing it is in Kansas and not here close to me. I would be camped out at the county Sharrif's office until I got action.

Please excuse the typos and grammar I am still very angry.

Those poor little guys, I feel so sorry for them, just got done writing.

Just gross. Those poor horses...

Thanks for the alert...has anyone got some contact info for local tv stations/newspapers....I think maybe we should wait a day, but something needs to be done to get them some food for one, and veterinary care.

Liz
Here are the links to several Kansas City News Stations:

http://www.kctv5.com/station/13482536/detail.html

http://www.myfoxkc.com/myfox/pages/InsideF...tUs?pageId=5.11

http://www.thekansascitychannel.com/contactus/index.html

Just heart breaking. I sure hope tomorow is a better day for those poor horses.

default_sad.png
[SIZE=14pt]OMG!!!!! That makes me sick, I will have to look but I think that is quite a ways from me.......I have never heard of this farm before. I will pass this on to the Kansas Miniature Horse Club. :no: [/SIZE]

Sent e-mails to all agencies and contacts listed. I would suggest NOT doing a cut and paste of the well written letter, as readers may pass them off as just a bunch of duplicates.

I will call tomorrow.

I think I have to go throw up now. HOW CAN ANYBODY DO THIS??

Instead, I'm going to go throw a little more hay to my guys.

We need a "Tears" emoticon.

After seeing the condition of the horses you posted pictures of I called a rescue person who resides in Kansas. His name is Victor McMullen. Victor said that it was fine if I posted his name. He said that he got a report from two different individuals about this situation. He must have the authorities involved in order to rescue these horses. He has contacted the Sheriff and is waiting on the him to respond. If Victor hasn't heard from the Sheriff by tomorrow he assured me that he will contact him again tomorrow.

You can help by contacting the Sheriff and the District Attorney. This will likely be considered a felony condition and there must be legal intervention to get these horses rescued.

The wonderful news is that if Victor is allowed to rescue the horses, he will take them all. He has an isolation area, vets involved, etc. After getting them into health he will then adopt the horses out.

I told Victor about this site and all of the wonderful members who want to help. I will stay in touch with him and let you know of any updates if you don't hear it from another means.

We are hours away from this farm, which I have never heard of, but if we need to go and help in some way we will!

Janet

Windemere Farm

Thank You for posting. I am from Southcentral Kansas. I have not ever heard of this farm.

What a horrific site to see. Those poor lil horses. There is so much hay around this year. I can't imagine why they are not getting fed.

They are about 3-4 hours from me.

I don't know what I can do to help, but would like to do something.

I will keep an eye on the local news for any news on them. And let you know.

Thanks Janet........I had forgot about Vic McMullen. I had him rescue a full size horse that was down my

road a couple years back. Vic lives pretty near me. PM me and give me his phone# or email address so I can offer some help with transport if needed.

:no: Oh those poor poor little horses.

Last edited by a moderator:
How awful.

Here in Miami Co, KS we had a similiar thing w/ just about 200+ Hackney Ponies back in 1998.

Someone contact Kansas State University Veterinary School. They were very helpful w/ the Miami Co Ponies in getting first aid, triage and a treatment plan developed. Ditto the Kansas Horse Council.

Here is how it seems to work:

The owner may be given the option to "clean things up" within a specific time frame. Failure to meet the changes by the deadlines could cause him/her to loose the mini's to the county. However, a county rarely wants to gain control over the animals because then the taxpayers must foot the vet & food bills until the animals are sold. The county will work with the owner and exhaust that avenue first.

The owner may willingly give up control of the animals to the county who might appointment someone to manage their care & placement. This is where a registered rescue group w/ correct paperwork can be helpful.

Thoughtful letters to the County Attorney can be effective. The Sheriff just enforces the laws on the books, the Attorney cements the charges. Attorney's have egos so emphasis is on "thoughtful" because no one likes to be spanked. There is most probably no formal SPCA or Humane Society down in that area. Based on the debri piled up and laws on the books it's probably a easier chance to get the owner rung up w/ envioronmental violations.

The above is my personal observation w/ the Miami County Hackney's. Google it and Norman or Nueman Sterns for details. HorseAid was the illegit rescue that intervened and caught the attention of the KS Attorney Generals office, this was after the fact, the ponies were gone and so was $200,000. If you google HorseAid & the ponies you have to digest their version w/ a lump of salt.

I can tell you Channel 9 is the T.V. station that is best in the KC metro. The others are weak.

I've been in Uniontown and it is a small town.

Last edited by a moderator:
[SIZE=14pt]That's just wrong on so many levels. I'll email everyday if I have to!! We have a show and GYmkanna coming up in a few weeks, do I have permisson to print out these pictures and any info on them to make a board to get donations? Is CMHR going to take them in? I'll do my best to get the donations to start rolling in.[/SIZE]

Christy

Christy

CMHR doesn't have the resources to take these horses in. We are just trying to get them help locally as we are a non seizure rescue and these numbers are overwhelming.

This is one of the worst cases of animal abuse I've ever seen in one place. I am so angry over this I like

Jess have to be careful on what I say. I would like to have that jerk in my overgrown corral for 1 week!!

Nuff said!

We just want the state of Kansas to help with these guys. Remember these are mostly mares in foal.

Use the pictures as you see fit. If you collect anything what ever rescue or organization helping these minis

could sure use the help.

I just sent a letter to all 3 TV stations. I think publicity is the surest way to get attention to this horrible situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back