7 month old filly...attitude!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LB27

Reaction score
My sweet little filly has recently started to show more spunk than ever before! She frequently will turn her butt to me and occasionally as in a little kick towards me. She also like to do little rear ups. What is the best way to respond when she shows this type of behavior? Thanks!

First, does she have other horses her age and size to play and learn from? Meaning to learn that if you kick someone they will kick back.

Second, whether she has playmates or not, make sure any time you interact with her in ANY way that you have control of the situation by having her haltered and on a lead. And be sure you are doing regular ground manners training with her. Very short sessions, but always practicing past lessons and when she has lesson #1 down pat then go to lesson #2, etc, but go back to lesson #1 at least briefly each session.

My web site has a page with some articles and one of those is halter training the mini foal. This might give you some ideas.

It is so much fun to watch them learn and develop trust in you. Enjoy

Make that behaviour "unpleasant". Don't give her the choice. She's saying, "Screw You!". You have to let her know what behaviours are acceptable and what are not; she can pull that stuff with other horses, in a turnout environment only. You are the boss at all other times. In terms of the rearing, carry a crop: a swift whack on her belly will stop that quickly (but it has to be done promptly). When I was backing 3 year old big horses a whack to their poll while riding would stop a threat of a rear, but I would never touch a horses face from the ground. Turning her butt towards you, threatening a kick. Again, carry a crop. I will either tie a horse that starts doing that and or push her over with a stick/crop. Raise my voice. Give a smack. I've never had a horse pull that for more than a week. They quickly give it up...

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. Sadly she does not have another fellow mini companion. If I happen to see one that is available in my area hopefully that will change though. I will have to check out your site
default_smile.png

Devil did this when I first got him. At feeding. THATS A BIG NO NO LOL! He would turn his butt to me and back up, pushing me against the wall. At first, i just ignored it (stupid on my part) then when he actually kicked me, i had to do something. Whenever she turns her butt at you, use your knee to push her out of the way. Probably not the safest way to do it but it worked for me.

As for rearing, on the halter, as soon as they come up, i pull them down and yell NO. If im in their pen and they do that, they get a good smack with the crop, like Matt said. Even with other horses, they still dont learn, or mine dont at least.

Get yourself some lessons in horsemanship! The good news here is that your filly is healthy and full of spunk so you are doing a good job keeping her healthy. The bad news is that she thinks she is dominant over you so you are not doing a good job being the boss mare. Horses use very subtle little manoeuvers to establish who is the more dominant animal and unless you have learned to recognize these manoeuvers you will come out as an underdog. Things like stepping into your space and you, not recognizing that she is testing you, take a step back unconsciously. Those tiny behaviour rapidly escalate when not properly admonished and become more aggressive to the point that when you as the less'dominant invade her space she takes aggressive action to warn and then punish you just as she would another horse. Babies that are taken at a young age from the herd come to this behaviour quicker than herd raised youngsters because they haven't learned their place yet. I think you need help from a more knowledgeable horse person to learn how to deal with her behaviour - please try to find someone to teach you.

Thanks. Sadly she does not have another fellow mini companion. If I happen to see one that is available in my area hopefully that will change though. I will have to check out your site
default_smile.png
The website provided was super helpful with my 7 month old mini I currently have!!!!!

She is still just a kid and is testing her environment and her order in the 'herd'. Just like a kid, she is pushing to see what she can and cant get away with. If it is naughty or dangerous behavior she needs to be corrected immediately on the spot. Just like they learn from their mothers and the rest of the 'herd', they are quickly put in their place when they misbehave and they learn their boundaries. Youngsters are still full of beans, so this is something I would expect to see from a young one- she will learn. Just show her you dont allow that and I doubt she will keep doing it.

Latest posts

Back