6 days after foaling, still uncomfortable at times

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Taz

Reaction score
Tilly foaled early Tue morning last week, July 14. I gave her banamine right after and she's been looking comfortable enough I didn't keep going with it. She's fine but is still being fussy the odd time. Can she still be having contractions after this length of time? I don't notice anything during the day but still see a bit of tail swishing, side biting occasionally at night when I'm watching them on camera.

It's nothing serious. She's swishing slowly then holding her tail over to the side then going the other way. Reaches around and 'bites' at her loins like she did on and off for the last few months. Lasted about 20 min last night then I didn't see it again, I am sleeping again though so could have missed it. I'm checking them when I wake up but not waking up to check. I didn't see anything the night before and thought she was over it. I checked the placenta and it looked all there. I'm not call the vet worried just wanting to check with you guys. It's not bugs 😊

Temp is normal, I'll keep checking every day though for a few days. She was calling a bit this morning which is not normal. Could she be coming into foal heat and being a little crampy with that? Maybe why I didn't notice anything and now I am?

What Holly posted was my first thought, however, she would be showing a definite temp. and other symptoms by now. I would continue taking her temp, just in case.

Reactions: Taz
Temp was right on 100 tonight. Eating normally/constantly, normal energy no discharge. She isn't flirting and Spirits not reacting to her so I'll watch( I always watch both closely for the first two weeks) and take her temp but if nothing is obvious I'm going with she's weird 🤣.

Last edited:
So... I just foaled in December (okay I gave birth to my son) and I gotta say I was uncomfortable for a while. If she's acting normal and her temp is normal maybe it's a problem with her back/hips. Maybe, if you are convinced it's not a problem you need a vet for, you could look into an equine massage therapist? She could have also pulled/strained an abdominal muscle. We've had that happen with mares who have foaled.

Oh. I hadn't thought of that! I have an amazing massage therapist I can get out for her.
She has no temp, no discharge, normal energy, eating nonstop when she's not napping. I don't think it's anything a vet could help with. She has been better then was a little fussy again last night but it didn't last long. I have some wonderful magnetic ankle wraps, I think I'll put one on her tonight and see how she feels with it on for a few days. They have worked wonders with arthritis and tight/sore muscles on a few others.

Latest posts

Back