5 day Panacur purge

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2minis4us

Reaction score
How long after giving a double dose Panacur treatment do you notice any improvement. Do you see worms in the stool ?

Depends on which worms were present. If this is a foal, and it has a large strongyle infestation, which is common in foals, btw, then you may well see big nasty flat white things (in one case hanging form the ceiling, no, really, and mercifully dead!!!) in the droppings.

The five day course gets encysted small strongyles as well- it is the only safe way of killing these nasty things- but it does not get a whole lot else. You need to wait ten days and then worm with a full dose for weight of Ivermectin, if you really think your horse is wormy. I would also, at that time, use a tape worm killer- Praziquantel is best and it comes in a duo pack with Ivermectin- after that lot you should have a fairly squeaky clean horse, internally, at least.

Thanks Rabbitsfizz, I am using it to see if it will help my 4 yr. old gelding with chronic diarrhea. My vet and I are trying everything we can to help him. I have had him 2 months now and he basically came with it.

Have you tried alfalfa pellets? I have found that sometimes, dependant on a lot of things, obviously, a minis gut just does not seem to mature properly- I had this with a five year old mare who came to me, and she had had the splats since she was a foal never had had normal droppings but was otherwise fine. They had done EVERYTHING. Bloods, tests, worming, everything her vet could think of. BUT she had always been on hay and no turn out on grass- they had none. So I turned her out and fed her alfalfa pellets. It was not a quick fix- it took six months before her droppings started to firm up!

I am assuming you have had a faecal count done?

Tape worms and encysteds do not show on faecal counts, though.

Yes we did a fecal count. We put him on ulcer meds, bio sponge, a bacteria yeast powder I got from the vet, probios, I have changed hay 4 times. I have a stool sample at the vets office being cultured. And I just finished the 5 day Safeguard.

Depends on which worms were present. If this is a foal, and it has a large strongyle infestation, which is common in foals, btw, then you may well see big nasty flat white things (in one case hanging form the ceiling, no, really, and mercifully dead!!!) in the droppings.

The five day course gets encysted small strongyles as well- it is the only safe way of killing these nasty things- but it does not get a whole lot else. You need to wait ten days and then worm with a full dose for weight of Ivermectin, if you really think your horse is wormy. I would also, at that time, use a tape worm killer- Praziquantel is best and it comes in a duo pack with Ivermectin- after that lot you should have a fairly squeaky clean horse, internally, at least.

what time of year should we do the five day course ?

what time of year should we do the five day course ?
I do not like to "prescribe" dosages as I am not a Vet but the directions on the box are quite clear, if you know your horses weight you can work it out easily!

I do the course in Spring and Autumn and I always do it as "extra" to the Ivermectin, never instead of.

An interesting thing is that the manufacturers insist that double dosing is not necessary in Europe- I have no idea why, maybe American (continent, not country) worms have built up more resistance to Fenbendazole than their European cousins.

Anyway, we only need to give the dose per weight for five consecutive days.

ok, I am about to order some of this, and I know that some are hesitant to "prescribe dosage", but at least can you tell me what the dose per pound (or hundred) is , as I do not have to directions in front of me to calculate how much to order. I will be doing 2/maybe 3 horses on the 5 day program. surely the dosage is different for a 5 day purge than for a 1 time worming?

If I remember correctly from the tube of Safeguard. It has the pounds markings on the plunger. In 250# increments. And a tube does a total of 1250# of horses. BUT if you are doing the double dose purge, that same tube would only do about 600# of horses. Clear as mud? LOL

Hi, when I got my 2 yr old filly, she came from the auction, after she was home for about 2 days she started with diarrhea real bad, it was like green water. of course she was separtated from the other mini's and the vet put her on different wormers and electrolites. The vet then did a x-ray of her belly and could see a layer of sand. So the vet had me give her sand clear for a month then sand clear once a month for 1 week every month. The sand clear seems to clear her up and so far no more diarrhea

Rabbit do you give the five day purge to the current years foals ( the youngest is four months)

I do wish people would stop calling it a "purge" it is not it is merely a course of treatment, just like a course of antibiotics!

I do the this years foal first at around five/six months and then they just fir into the normal worming programme of my other horses.

I never give the five day course instead of the Ivermectin, in the same way as I never give the Praziquantel for Tapes instead of the Ivermectin. Fenbendazole is really only useful for worming foals and in a five day course, and then only to get encysted small strongyles, but it is a very important part of the worming routine.

I also believe you should consider sand. Give your horse a 7 day treament with sand clear.

Latest posts

Back