45 Minis in Mass. Need Homes - anyone know about this?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes I would after covering my bases. I would contact the US department of agriculture and talk with the people overseeing the man's research facility before jumping to any conclusions.

I would not the risk to me would be to great. Oh and I work with (not for) USDA.

Would you take in one of thease minis especially if you had other horses? In my opinion it does not look very positive out for thease horses if the vet loses the farm
If they tested negative according to requirements, why not? There have been farms here that had 1 or more positive horses. Those horses were euthanized. The other horses on the farm were tested--not sure what the requirements are for number/timing of negative tests--and then life went on. The farms were not quarantined and neither were the negative horses.
The fact that some horses on a farm test positive for EIA does not mean a death sentence or lifetime quarantine for all horses on that farm.

Last edited by a moderator:
If they tested negative accoarding to requirements, why not? There have been farms here that had 1 or more positive horses. Those horses were euthanized. The other horses on the farm were tested--not sure what the requirements are for number/timing of negative tests--and then life went on. The farms were not quarantined and neither were the negative horses.

The fact that some horses on a farm test positive for EIA does not mean a death sentence or lifetime quarantine for all horses on that farm.

And I am a microbiologist-as long as I covered my bases, I don't see how taking in those horses would put my own at any more risk then they already are-i have neighbors with horses coming in and out, and I myself buy and sell and show. I even take my animals to the vet. I know my animals have come into contact with pathogens directly or other animals who have either had or had been around other animals with various types of pathogens. That's just life.

Thought I should add that I DO vaccinate, quarantine, wash, and sterilize before someone accuses me of being a bad horse 'mom'. I do my part, but am realistic.

My understanding of the entire situation is that thease horses may have been exposed to EIA not only by having a positive horse on the farm but by other means as well. I do know that the state Department of Agriculture has had issues with the vets research and that 1 mini horse that had tested negitive had to be euthinized. Reading this online and seeing the add on craigslist (add does not say for sale but for medium to longterm placement) Would be too much of a risk for me.I certainly would not want to expose my horses or any one else's to an incurable disease. I was going to help 1 or 2 of thease horses myself until I read the entire story and got enough confirmation that both stories were about the same horses. I just wanted to allow others to be informed as well.

I talked to a few rescues about these horses. And the risk is just to much! I sent emails offering hay or halters basically what ever I could do to help but no one responded.

Very sad I hope they get loving homes.

Latest posts

Back