45 Minis in Mass. Need Homes - anyone know about this?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrivinTime

Reaction score
Craigslist ad I saw this morning... link to ad

Does anyone know what farm this is, or if the ad is legit?

I might know some resources who could help out. I need to keep repeating: No, I do not need another horse! ;)

Kind of a sad situation..........

I highly doubt that since that vet is being monitored so closely that he would be allowed to sell any of his horses that were potentially EIA positive. I'm sure all of his horses have had a lot of testing done too. I would definitely look into it and contact people, but the likelihood that that man could sell 45 EIA pos horses would be slim-he had one horse put down even after 2 neg tests because of being exposed.

the ad does not state 45 EIA positive horses, nor does the article say that all horses on the farm have it. but the article does hint at the farm being lost, as does the ad. and the numbers sure are similar.

Yes, a sad situation, as HGFarm says...

And I agree, ohmt, I'm sure the powers that be are keeping an eye on this vet and his farm... And even the hint of EIA is enough to keep buyers away. Unfortunately, as I understand it (although I'm no expert) a positive Coggins is "forever" - the options are to either quarantine or euthanize - even if there are no symptoms...

I'll keep an eye out and see what develops, I guess.

This is a really scary situation. Having lived through an EIA epidemic in 1973 in CT, I really don't see how he can move any horses off his property. During the epidemic I was involved in the horses were quarantined and they were all tested (Coggins test) every few weeks and any that tested positive were euthanized. This continued for weeks until there were no more positives. I think a total of 17 horses were put down. I really don't think anything has changed since then. Yes, you did have the option of quarantining the positives but they had to have NO contact with any horses.... ever.

Now at the time of the 1973 epidemic I was also writing a Masters thesis in Animal Disease, so I included some research on EIA. This vet is correct that a positive Coggins only means the horse has been exposed and is producing antibodies. SOME of the horses that test positive may never develop EIA, and would be important to study. It boggles my mind that in the 40+ years since the Coggins test was developed, there has been no progress on the horrid disease. But the thought of moving any possible Coggins positive horses around New England is frightening!

I don't think it's coincidence, but I still stick with what I said earlier. If the vet is selling horses, I highly doubt there's any risk they're carrying EIA. Even the mare he had tested negative that was exposed is being/has been put down. If these horses were exposed then they would be there with her.

I don't think it's coincidence, but I still stick with what I said earlier. If the vet is selling horses, I highly doubt there's any risk they're carrying EIA. Even the mare he had tested negative that was exposed is being/has been put down. If these horses were exposed then they would be there with her.

agreed

VERY SCARY STUFF! Apparently, learning from another forum, rescue groups have been contacted to help try place the minis (hopefully the entire story is told). I hope these horses don't disappear into thin air without the authorities knowing about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes this sounds scary for sure. I know a few of the rescues in the area. I am going to check and see if anyone knows whats happening.

Someone that lives a town over from me stole a foal from this farm in 2008 and the foal was said to have had a fatal disease.

I am waiting on a call back from a friend .....................will keep you posted.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't see these 2 connected at all. If a vet was selling off 45 horses, I would hope he would know how to spell "herd." I think it's 2 completely different situations that a coincidentally alike. I'm going to try to link and see what response I get.

I don't see these 2 connected at all. If a vet was selling off 45 horses, I would hope he would know how to spell "herd." I think it's 2 completely different situations that a coincidentally alike. I'm going to try to link and see what response I get.
Both the CL ad and the article are based on minis located in West Boylston MA. Any equine within a specific milage of a farm that has a horse that is positive for EIA must be tested. I find it peculiar that both the article and the ad are from the same town, and at the very least would hope that an extreme amount of precaution would be taken if by some chance they are two different places. He is an 80 year old vet, I don't know too many people at that age that are internet savvy (either very limited skills or have others list the animals for them).

There is no real way to contain EIA unless the horse is going to live in a mesquito netted enclosure and even that would not be fool proof.

I'd say it was quite a coincidence as one is an ad for 45 horses in West Boylston, MA and the other mentions the vet has 43 horses plus 2 in quarantine in West Boylston, MA. Kind of odd if two different places in the same town own the same number of horses??? Unless I read something wrong...

Ufortunately for the mini horses I think I do. There has been a new add posted on craigslist and I've posted an update about the horses.

Why is it unfortunate for the horses? Has it been found that they have been exposed to EIA? Are they malnourished or is something else going on? Still confused as to how he would be allowed to sell any horses that have been exposed when he has been monitored so closely and the mare that was exposed and tested negative for EIA twice has been put down. Does not add up for me.

Why is it unfortunate for the horses? Has it been found that they have been exposed to EIA? Are they malnourished or is something else going on? Still confused as to how he would be allowed to sell any horses that have been exposed when he has been monitored so closely and the mare that was exposed and tested negative for EIA twice has been put down. Does not add up for me.

Would you take in one of thease minis especially if you had other horses? In my opinion it does not look very positive out for thease horses if the vet loses the farm.

Latest posts

Back