39" Mare - Pregnant AND Obese?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DunPainted

Reaction score
An acquaintance asked if I'd look at her mare to see if she's obese....or pregnant and obese. She was pasture bred and could foal anytime between now and September. Corky is very big boned, and 15 years old.

If she is obese, any nutrition or other suggestions? I've brought her to our farm to be dry lotted, but she sure looks in the last stages of pregnancy (bagging up).

Thanks for your help!

Cindy

CorkyLt.jpg

CorkyRt.jpg

Obese AND pregnant, from the look of it. But oh my, what a gorgeous girl!
new_shocked.gif
wub.gif
Look at that HEAD! Those tippy little ears, those kind eyes. Oh my, I'd take her in a heartbeat.

I'm sorry I can't offer advice on her nutrition. The concept of obesity and pregnancy is ringing alarm bells in my head over the issue of eclampsia, but I'm not the one to ask. I think I'm just thinking of a thread someone made regarding the fact that obese mares can go into it when slimmed down too fast just like pregnant mares can when the foal pulls their calcium levels down. Do a search on it, but I'm sure all the knowledgable ones will post here.

She's beautiful! Do you know what she's bred to?

Leia

Cindy, I do not think this mare is obese. I think she has a thick neck but

she doesnt appear to have excessive pads over her butt and shoulders . Her cresty neck could come from a previous founder or something she looks like she has a couple months to go but a bigger mare is hard to tell since she does look a but sunken in the flank area. I would give her just a good 12% protein feed and grass hay . Dont giver her alfalfa or high fat content feed. Her coat is gorgeous her head is ABSOLUTELY gorgeous and ....can I pleas have her??? I bet with a tiny bit of wt loss and a baby nursing to use her calories she would even measure less! She is very beautiful.

Lyn

I dont think she is obese either. But yes she does look preggers.

Leia--you're thinking of hyperlipemia, not eclampsia....eclampsia is calcium deficiency & has nothing at all to do with a horse being overweight!

But, for the original question--I would not say this mare is obese. A little fat, yes, but not obese. And yes, she looks like she may very well be pregnant. If she is, then I'd say that once she foals & is nursing the baby, her extra weight will come off & she'll be in pretty nice shape.

Very pretty mare!!

Lord give me strength- just come on over if you want to see some obese mares!! NO chance of them ever being dry lotted either. This little mare is NOT obese- she's well endowed!!
rolleyes.gif
My mares are all far fatter than her and I've just put them onto new grazing (24/7) as I do not want them going into the winter thin- I don't mind them coming out of the winter a bit thin, but not going in, and they always lose a bit when I wean, anyway. So- NOT obese, DO NOT DIET, PLEASE!!!

Cindy,

She does NOT look obese to me, either - just very pregnant - but I certainly am NO expert. I have 3 mares here right now that I "thought" were pregnant and am now "thinking" they have just gotten toooooo fat!!! Guess time will tell!

What a pretty mare, love her gorgeous head and what a handsome young man holding on to the lead rope!!!

Minimor said:
Leia--you're thinking of hyperlipemia, not eclampsia....eclampsia is calcium deficiency & has nothing at all to do with a horse being overweight!
Thank you, I KNEW that wasn't right! But there was something with the fat coming off too fast and something then overloaded the liver, or or or...
unsure.gif
wacko.gif
And I thought someone said it was a similar problem to what happens when a foal suddenly pulls down a mare's condition....Oy, I'm confused. LOL NOT one of my areas of expertise.

Anyway, I'm surprised to see that prevailing opinion is that this mare is not fat. With a neck that cresty and the positive cellulite on her butt, I figured fat pads or not she was plump. I guess I've just never seen a mare with a crest.

I still love her!

Leia

Last edited by a moderator:
She looks perfect to me! Not obese at all in my opinion.

She is a beautiful mare! Not knowing what you are feeding her now tho makes it hard to say what to do about cutting her back. She is "tad" heavy, but maybe in a larger area with more running room she might be just fine.

Do you know if that is pasture grass weight or grain weight? I would not feed her high levels of fat in her food. Protein tho, she needs a lot of that for various reasons.

Can't wait to see what she produces. Who is she bred to?

B

Last edited by a moderator:
wub.gif
You folks are so kind.....thanks so much for taking the time to offer your input which I'll pass along to Gail.

I used to own Corky and Gail just loved her and kept bugging me to buy her. When I bought this beautiful mare, something made me think she was in foal....thus had her ultrasounded. Much to the astonishment of the previous owners, she WAS BRED TO A QUARTER HORSE! They were under the assumption that such was an impossibility. She had a red bag birth....my first foaling ever. Because the foal was deprived of oxygen and brain damaged as a result, Corky rejected the colt and died three days later.

The day prior to her foaling, my beloved Tennessee Walker that I had always wanted since childhood, which I purchased two months previously, crossed the rainbow bridge as a result of EPM.

With these two deaths in the space of a few days, my heart was broken and cried for days. In the midst of mourning, I asked my husband to call Gail to take her, because seeing her in the pasture was a painful reminder.

Gail has taken excellent care of her and has been giving her beet pulp with a smidgen of grain and BOSS mixed in.....just like Qtr Raes taught me. Guess that's why her coat is so shiny.

I'll pass along the information to Gail and let her make a decision on whether to keep her here on "grass" or return her home where the pasture is a heavy alphalfa mix. By the way, she did founder once when Gail's spring pasture came up and has not had a recurrence.

Again, many thanks for your time.

Cindy

saludando.gif

[SIZE=14pt]As I said in my post I thought that crest was a result of founder. What is she bred to now?[/SIZE]

Lyn

She doesn't look too overweight to me, but she does look 'cresty'. You might consider having her thyroid levels checked for piece of mind.

Latest posts

Back