36" gelding and 27" mare

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LittleRibbie

Reaction score
I put all the horses out today as usual and it appeared Peanut (she had 3 babies prior to me owning her ) was starting her heat..I thought nothing about it...well around noon looked out the window and Skillet was mounting Peanut. He was used alot for breeding yrs. ago But has been gelded for about 7 yrs. Hes always been attentive to the mares but I have/had never seen him mount any of my 3 mares. This was the first time. Well I ran out and put Peanut in a different pasture and at that time she seemed fine. About 2 hrs. later I went out to brush and she was alittle sore/lame in her front left leg. I feel like an idiot because I dont know what to do. Knock on wood I have never had a lame/sore horse so Im not even sure where it is sore. Cleaned all feet...fine bended knee...shoulder prodded her leg but for the life of me I cant tell just where she is sore. I just KNOW she is NOT walking normal and is favoring her leg leg alittle. It is so slight that my husband doesnt notice it but I KNOW its just not her normal walk!! But what I would like to know is where I should stall her for the night because Im not sure if She should have limited walking or if I should let her have more walking. Options would be her normal 8x12 stall or I can put her in a 9x22 stall or I have a small pasture with a run in that could work. Also...I tend to bed w/heavy shavings on mats....should I take out some of the shaving. I understand I should know these things but I Dont and I Need Advice.

I just want to say I WILL take her to the vet in the A.M. if she is the same or worse...Im just hoping its not too bad and I hate to get her there...spend 200.00 for the vet to say she's fine.

I have gone out twicw and rubbed her entire leg with Absorbine Liniment Gel but is there any thing else I should do ? Thanks so much and sorry for the long post but wanted you to know the facts, Thanks again, Heidi

Sorry you're having a problem with your little mare. I don't know what the experts will say, but I think I'd be handling it just like you are - the linament, etc. If she were mine I would put her in the larger of the stalls, but still stalled tonight. I'd also, as you said you plan to, call the vet in the a.m. if she's still favoring a foot. Does she have a fever? Is she eating and drinking?

Hi

I agree with StarRidgeAcres, put her in a nice big stall and keep and eye on her. You are doing all that I would do, and if she is not better by AM then call the VET. The 37" boy was a tad to big for her and probably ruffed her up some. Poor little thing. Do you have some banamine? That may help as well.

Please let us know how she is doing in the AM.

Beth

Thank you, looks like she'll be in the bigger of the 2 stalls tonight. Just checked on her again and she's about the same. Just slightly favoring that leg. Looks like a trip to the vet is going to happen tomorrow. Thanks again, Heidi

Oh, no fever and eatting as usual ( like a little piggy )

Latest posts

Back