3 month old filly

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RnRs Lilnickers

Reaction score
I have a 3 month old filly that has the runs, someone told me to use Pepto Bismo for her but I have no idea how much?

Any help would be appreciated.

I'd start giving her a children's dose. I'd also consider giving her a probiotic, which you can get as a paste at the feed store.

May I suggest taking her temp to make sure she isn't "catching" something. Normal temp should be in the range of 99 to 101.

Another possibility ....... Has she been wormed? If not, she's old enough to be. And if she has been wormed, she may be reacting and the probiotic will help.

A three month old foal is reaching the age when they are going through a lot of changes in their bodies and there could be several things that could set her system off.

Another thing to look into... Does she have access to a salt block? Something they eat way too much and get the runs from it.

Miniv is correct!

Your baby is too old now for foal heat scours. If she does not improve within a day or so I would call the Vet. She may need to be on antibiotics.

Good luck and keep us informed.

Beth

Mineral salt blocks if they have access to them, they will get the runs.

Also she is at the age where they start to eat mommie's poop, which is normal, to try to get their stomachs more acclimated to real food. She maybe eating more grass and grain if you give it. They tend to get the runs from that.

But pepto is a good start. As suggested, check the temperature to make sure it isn't something else. Make sure there is plenty of clean cool water available. Take salt away.

Keep an eye on your baby! Good luck!

I agree it's important to find out WHY she's getting the diarrhea, and how severe it is. Foals can die from severe diarrhea if left unchecked. She could need antibiotics, a change in her feed, or ???

My three-month old filly currently gets diarrhea from eating sand while turned out in the arena. It's not a mystery to me... I see her eat mouthfuls of it. Every time I see it, I give her psyllium so that's my fix for her specific problem.

Bio-sponge can help a lot for clearing up diarrhea, but an antibiotic such as Metronidazole may also need to be used from your vet.

Good luck,

Andrea

Latest posts

Back