3 1/2 year old tooth problem

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DiamondLRanch

Reaction score
I rescued 2 minis last week. Yesterday when the farrier was here we found the the 3 1/2 year old stud has what looks like a fractured tooth. I will upload the picture I took. He had just finished a mouthful of grain.

At what point do they lose their baby teeth? this is an incisor on the top.

My vet will be out next week but I can't keep worrying about this little guy.

He was probably kicked by the other stud at one time.

Cocheesetooth.jpg

That looks to be his second incisor that is damaged. If he is indeed 3.5 years old, it was probably his deciduous tooth that was damaged, as long as the permanent tooth (still in the gums) wasn't damaged, than his permanent tooth will probably come in without too much trouble. They permanent middle incisor erupt at around 3.5 years old. Even if it is his permanent incisor, with conscience dental care, he'll be fine. [i have a mini mare with a damage upper outer incisor, so the equine dentist needs to keep her lower outer incisor filed, but she gets along just fine.]

To me, from what I can see in the picture, I guess you are talking about the coloring of the tooth. Just from what I have experianced, it looks like the cap was intact too long and caused decay and damage to the surface of the permanent tooth that was coming in underneath. As long as the tooth isn't black, it should grow out fine, I'd be surprises if you would even be able to notice in a year. Don't sweat it. In the meantime just keep an eye on the tooth and the tooth directly below it, since it doesn't have anything to wear it down. It may need a little extra care.

Carolyn

I spoke to the Breeder

His foal date was 04-29-05 So he is not quite 3 1/2 years old.

Dam: Fishers Painted Pearl ( could be spelled Fischers)

Sire: Jimmy Deans Fuzz Buster

she will try to get papers to me.

He is a sweet boy!

Hopefully my vet will be able to identify if it's an adult incisor or new one coming!

Thank you for your help.

DSC00625.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Good news! The vet said it was the cap and that the adult tooth is coming.

Both minis were gelded and got their Coggins pulled and immunizations done!

Now to find these cute little guys a home!
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back