2nd time mare due in June to July..

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Destiny4ever

Reaction score
Destiny is trying to fool me again! I would first off like to say I am absolutely 100% POSITIVE of her pasture exposure dates, as I didn't even own the stallion until a certain date and had no stallions on the property. She was bred from July 6th through the end of July, so I imagine she is due in the month of June. I'm thinking early June because she is SO big already.

This is her 2nd foal, she had a foal in 2004. She did bag up, about 5-7 days before she foaled last time (she was a maiden), dropped only about 7 days before foaling, and elongated in the vulva only a matter of 3-4 days before she foaled.

Well, she has dropped SO much that I decided to do a thorough once over on her even though it is only April. She has no bag but is a tad puffy in the udders, and her vulva is like 3 1/2" long, when she's normally only about 2 1/2". She is very relaxed behind. No broken blood vessels, no discharge. She is grumpy whenever I touch her tummy, udder, or anything, but that's just her disposition. She doesn't like to be messed with late in pregnancy (heck neither did I! I was ready to foal 2 months before I was due in November lol!).

Anyways, I guess my question is, is it normal the 2nd time around for her to relax behind this early? Should I be stalling her at night? I'm keeping a close eye on her. There is no behavior change, other than that she is grossly uncomfortable. I can get pictures tomorrow if anyone wants to see her tummy. She doesn't have milk yet (it's clear and they are only a little puffy, but no bag yet!), but she's got me concerned! I know there is no way she isn't due before June 6th, but I've already been thinking she'd go in May. Now I'm worried she'll go more like in a few weeks, in April. What is the average mini horse gestation?

TIA! And PLEASE send BUCKSKIN PINTO FILLY FAIRY vibes my way. Thanks! Or heck, I'll take ANY filly, but pinto is a plus! If anyone remembers, Destiny is a silver dapple buckskin bred to an Ashly Acres Bruzzie son, a gorgeous, small, possibly homozygous chestnut pinto.

Elizabeth

[SIZE=14pt]Elizabeth, She would need to get at least to day 290 or more for a remotely viable foal... better to day 300 or more. If she got bred July 6th then June 6th is 335 days, may 5th 303 days..... you dont want a baby much sooner than that. She is now from the earliest possible breeding day 270 ish. Keep an eye on her. She may be more relaxed behind because it is a second foal and because she is little isnt she? I may have her confused with Sitka, stacys mare. if you are sure of her dates then it is too early for her to be foaling.[/SIZE]

Lyn

Well I decided to post a few pictures of her belly anyways. She's very much more dropped than last time, but I guess they are probably like most humans..we all carry differently even in the same woman but different pregnancies?

Destinyright3.jpg

Destinyleft2.jpg

Destinyright1.jpg

Destinyleft1.jpg

Thanks I did think it is too early. I don't think she's imminent but I'm thinking she won't make it all the way to June. She is little, only 29.5" so she carries a bit differently than a larger mare.

[SIZE=14pt]Boy she sure is low! Also looks like she is hollowing in the flank but can be optical illusion with her cowlick there. Good luck![/SIZE]

Lyn

Do you think that I should be stalling her at night now? I know she's super low and they can foal without getting a bag....I'm worried leaving her out because we have lots of coyotes around here...

[SIZE=14pt]I would stall EVERYONE at night if you have coyotes around![/SIZE]

Lyn

Latest posts

Back