26" & Under Senior Class?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

StarRidgeAcres

With the National and World shows quickly approaching I find myself thinking about something that I've wondered about for a while now. Being someone who has many horses on the tinier side I would probably benefit from having 26" & Under Sr Mare/Stallion classes. What do you see as the pros and cons of adding such a division?

Some random thoughts that came to me are:

How much time would it add to the shows which are already pretty long?

Would the entry fees pay for the additional trophies/ribbons?

Would people be taking more horses to show or just dividing their current string up even more? (I personally would take more horses to show)

Would it make it even tougher on the trainers because now they'd have yet one more handler to worry about for the Championship Class?

Would additional 2yr old and yearling classes be added also with reduced height divisions?

I know that the tiniest of the horses isn't everyone's cup of tea. Let's not turn this into a "dwarf" conversation! I'm not referring to horses with obvious conformational issues, I'm talking about horses that are pretty darn correct, just so tiny they don't stand a chance against the taller horses. Even though both registries are supposed to be about the smallest, most correct horse, let's face it...the taller horses generally rise to the top of the classes. And I'm not necessarily complaining about that so let's not jump on that either.

Thoughts?

Maybe the AMHA world show could result from this, but i dont feel that AMHR nationals would have enough under 26" sr horses to fill the class ..just my thoughts.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the idea because we have a tiny 3 year old who measured at just 25" at his last show. Although I'm not really sure if there is enough of the really tiny horses to justify adding the class. At most of the shows in Florida he is usually the only one in his 28 and under class.

Gary

I know it sucks, but I wonder if there would be enough horses to compete? Maybe there would be if that class was an option.

I agree with Leeana about the AMHR.

Maybe the AMHA world show could result from this, but i dont feel that AMHR nationals would have enough under 26" sr horses to fill the class ..just my thoughts.
I agree about it with AMHR, AMHA might want to look into this.

I don't think it would be reasonable to add this class to the local shows, but I was wondering about at Regional Championship/Area and World/National shows. Most of the R shows I go to the smallest class they have is 30" & Under. At National and Worlds the 28" & Under classes have between 9 and 15 entries - at least the ones I've seen.

Yeah just adding it to the championship and worlds is a good idea. Like I said before you might see more of them if the class was an option.

AMHA doesnt have an under 26" sr class? I figured AMHA would have that division already ...im suprised to hear that they dont.

I know even at the local AMHR shows the under 30" classes are not very heavily entered so i couldnt imagine an under 26" sr class having any entrys in all honestly. Our AMHR Area show, for area II, is about the same as any other show as far as entrys ...atleast i think so, i have not been to nationals ...this year is my first year attending but i would think the under 30" at nationals would have sufficient entrys,

Personally I dont see it happening in either registry anytime soon. I dont see much competition even at the local level that are 26 and under. Not to say there arent quality 26 and unders, but not enough to make a whole nother division.

JMO
default_smile.png

[SIZE=12pt]I'd be for it
default_yes.gif
There really are quite a few really nice 26 inch horses out there
default_aktion033.gif
[/SIZE]

Joy

We would be all for it!

Our focus is to produce show mini apps 34" and under and they arrive in all sizes. We have one black appaloosa filly that could compete well in a 26" and under class. We will be showing a 28" and under chestnut appaloosa filly at the AMHA World this year.

I think it's a GREAT idea for those breeding and wanting to show the tiny ones competitively!

Dawn
default_saludando.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back