26" show gelding?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keely2682

Reaction score
i have a very pretty under 27" stallion in the barn right now

he is nice enough to show as a stallion but...

i am temped to make him a youth show gelding

considering having him trained in showmanship, halter, obstacle, hunter...

(i know he is definitely too small to drive
default_sad.png
]

will he be competative at his size? is it worth gelding and training him?

I would think so! At Nationals they have halter classes for the tiny ones... and there's no reason a tiny one can't be super competitive in obstacle and showmanship... and I've seen some little ones do well in Liberty but that depends on his trot and that "it factor" like bucking and playing.

Hunter might be a stretch to be competitive, but he could certainly do it no problem.

Do you have pictures?

Andrea

I think he would be. Depends of course on his athletic ability to do hunter and jumper. We have a little 28.50 or 29.00 inch (depending on the day ) gelding and he always can jump higher then himself. He loves to do the hunter classes- almost always is in the top 2 ribbons in liberty- does drive (with Raven driving him) and kicks butt in obstacle. He is a very competitive little guy I think there is no reason why your little one cant do the same

This topic really interests me for a couple of reasons. One, because I had Corona who is under 28" and also because I like, and breed for, the tiny ones and I often think of this issue with the colts I geld - which is basically most of the boys.

With Corona, due to his calm temperment and his winning show record in halter and also my opinion that he really has the apptitude to learn obstacle, I felt he'd make an excellent youth gelding so that is what I marketed him as. And I had lots of interest. I eventually decided on a 6 year old and from all the pics I've recieved I'd say it was an awesome match!
aktion033.gif
There are the 30" and under halter classes - I do not believe there are 28" and under classes for geldings in either registry but I may be wrong. But Corona (and Raven as another example) both were not only competitive but WON in those 30" and under amateur classes so why not Youth? And personally, I prefer a gelding for a youth (talking about a very young child, not necessarily a teenager) because I find them to be more even tempered and just easier, in general, to handle.

As for jumping, Brenda Sellwood has an under gelding (stallion until recently) that is an awesome hunter horse and has a winning halter AND hunter record at the world level, so I'd say why not?! Go for it!!

As a side note, I really had a specific type of owner in mind for Corona and I stuck with that, but I even had international buyers show serious interest. I think there is a market for quality under 30" geldings.

Good luck and let us know what you decide!

I'm sure interested in any information you get. My little *27"energizer bunny* is so gorgeous and putters constantly, he has gorgeous conformation (I think) but I am as far from being an expert in that area as they come. He has a magical, sweet personality. But then, I never have shown, hope to go to a few more and learn.

I think it is definitely "worth it".....both personally and monetarily.
default_wink.png

Your question reminds me of a very wonderful lady here in the northwest who had a small gelding who she showed the poop out of! The little guy was under 30 inches and she showed him in showmanship, halter, halter obstacle and even driving obstacle!!! He would be in the high ribbons all the time!

Here in the northwest, with AMHA, geldings win year end money. She would always receive a nice check for her little fellow. I think she leased him out to a youth eventually and I noticed the youth was doing really well with him too.
default_yes.gif

On the subject of training him I would say yes! Any horse (well, there are some exceptions) is worth training. I have seen a little guy the lady said was 26" and he was trained to drive. He was refined and a very nice horse. However, I would not have put my blubber in the cart. On the subject of gelding him, that would be up to you.

Some of the most competitive hunters I have seen are under 30". I think they tend to tuck their knees tighter so have better form. Of course it depends on the individual, but it sounds like a great idea to me.

Latest posts

Back