2023 crafting for all...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't remember if I posted these stockings, or not. I finished them up in January. One is two sided, two are single sided; the prints didn't line up like they were supposed to.

Attachments

• 2023 -  gnome stockings.jpg
    2023 - gnome stockings.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 0
Just finished two gourd buttons with toadstools painted on them. I decided to leave the natural color of the gourd instead of painting the background. I thought it would make the toadstools more natural, but next time I might try a green background.

Attachments

• snake and gourds.jpg
    snake and gourds.jpg
    309.4 KB · Views: 0
Just finished crocheting a baby blanket for a neighbor. Oh, my goodness, I thought I would wear out the yarn from pulling out whole rows because of mistakes. The yard is a merino blend. It was easy to work with. It is a shell stitch done in the round--which is why pulling out whole rows was so frustrating. I got some flannel with pink horses on it to make a receiving blanket--yes, the new mom is horse crazy.

Attachments

• shell blanket.jpg
    shell blanket.jpg
    472.8 KB · Views: 0
I was not satisfied with the first baby blanket I made, so I decided to add some more rows to make it larger. Then experimented with a bobble border. I like the border on it, but not sure it would be as good for a baby as the blanket with no border.
Finished the receiving blanket with pink ponies.
I noticed that working with the merino wool yarn did not bother my hands at all.
I enjoyed this shell stitch. I might get some more yarn and do another one. It is a good tv watching pattern. The bobble border I will save for the Fair; so I can make one for donating.

Attachments

• two blankets.jpg
    two blankets.jpg
    239.1 KB · Views: 0
  • bobble blanket.jpg
    bobble blanket.jpg
    440.6 KB · Views: 0
Those are beautiful, a joy to use and display. The ‘handmade..’ button is a wonderful touch too.

When is your Fair held? Ours is in August and once in awhile I’ve entered a drawing/painting but never anything as wonderful as a crocheted or knitted blanket. Enjoy very much looking at all of the handmade blankets, clothes, and quilts, and admiring the time and care that you all put into your work.

I had some merino yarn left from the blanket and decided to make ear warmers for presents. I used the afghan stitch for the band and the design is done with crewel yarn. Had trouble finding that, as I guess few people are working with crewel anymore. Ordered it from a shop in Canada. I wish I had ordered more colors. The cat will be for a cat-person sister. It's a simple hand project.

Attachments

• ear warmer.jpg
    ear warmer.jpg
    506.8 KB · Views: 1
Beautiful! Love the colors and the delicate design. Sure doesn’t look easy! 😊

Is crewel work embroidery using a yarn? When the kids were little, I would sometimes buy a kit with a stamped pattern and materials included. I think it was called crewel but am no longer sure.

Beautiful! Love the colors and the delicate design. Sure doesn’t look easy! 😊

Is crewel work embroidery using a yarn? When the kids were little, I would sometimes buy a kit with a stamped pattern and materials included. I think it was called crewel but am no longer sure.
Yes, I think crewel work used to be very popular. It's good for this project, but I doubt I would do anything else with it. The crewel yarn is made in England; maybe that craft is more popular there. The yarn is wool.

England has quite a lengthy history of embroidery doesn’t it? Somewhere I came across an article on the Royal School of Embroidery in London and it was fascinating.

I do remember women having kit parties along the line of the old Tupperware party. I bought two kits and finished them. They were good company at night when the kids and horses were asleep. ;)

Below is one completed for our daughter when she was two but then we moved and it was folded up and put away. Found it recently.D95BADF3-7708-40E0-B2B6-B9AD39EB65E4.jpeg

England has quite a lengthy history of embroidery doesn’t it? Somewhere I came across an article on the Royal School of Embroidery in London and it was fascinating.

I do remember women having kit parties along the line of the old Tupperware party. I bought two kits and finished them. They were good company at night when the kids and horses were asleep. ;)

Below is one completed for our daughter when she was two but then we moved and it was folded up and put away. Found it recently.View attachment 49770
Awwww! Time for framing! Even the owl has one eye closed. It's beautiful and well done.

Those are so totally wonderful. I love the colors you used with Billy’s button! Is that ink or watercolors? Not sure how big it is but would make a darling brooch.

Latest posts

Back