2022 Clippings

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I usually just bring them straight from pasture and clip the dirty horse for the first clipping of the year.… but I had read that it was easier to clip a semi wet almost dry clean horse. So I gave Stormy a bath yesterday, let him sun dry for a while and then tried to clip him a little wet. OMG! That did NOT work for me. I found it extremely difficult to get the clippers through a semi wet horse. 😝 I had to stop half way through because it was taking way too long, so I don’t recommend doing that LOL

Stormy before semi wet:
19955726-AE51-463C-9FE1-2CE3DBFC5ED8.jpeg

I really do have a silver dapple horse again!! He is a work in progress! I decided to clip him because I knew I was going on a drive today and knew the temps were getting up into the 90s. OMG! HE IS SO STINKIN CUTE 💕💕💕 dont you just love poodles??!! 🤣🤣
Stormy after:
3F8F71BA-76F2-4DC3-8D44-8399268FD5B9.jpeg

I tried the semi-wet method once and got nowhere but bogged down. I used to love to clip but my wrists hurt too much to do the Spring clip now so I have someone do it for me. I can do the mid-summer one as their coat is easier to get through. I call that clip a "skim coating".

Yes, I also tried the wet clipping thing, and I think someone made it up because they thought it would be funny to watch. Mine are shedding out pretty good so I don't expect to have to clip until the first show.

Tried that wet-thing also. nope.
I plan to clip Dapper Dan after this next cool snap. Maybe this weekend. I bought a new # 10 blade (boy, are they expensive) as my sharpen guy said two of mine were on their last sharpening. After I do Dapper Dan, I will send them off to be sharpened before I do Midnight. She is not as hairy, and not as hard on blades to clip. Can hardly wait to get that yak fur off Dapper Dan. Won't the farrier be surprised when he can actually find a hoof!

Clearly, I need to get over my fear of clipping my boys. Turk grows soo much winter coat that he looks like a Bison! Then sheds non-stop all the way until the next winter when it starts growing again.
Pete sheds out very fast and clean.

Seems that every year I fret over to-clip or not-to-clip ROFL

Mine are also black under all their sun-faded brown...I just love black horses :)

With the grain of the hair Oster A-5 #10 blade. Next time it will be against the grain for a smoother shorter clip.
I start with the head first, along the mane line, and then move to the feet and go up..

Attachments

• 20220327_125754[1].jpg
    20220327_125754[1].jpg
    265.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 20220327_130730[1].jpg
    20220327_130730[1].jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 20220327_125805[1].jpg
    20220327_125805[1].jpg
    251.2 KB · Views: 12
I told ya! I told ya!…. I really do have a silver dapple horse 🤣🤣

It’s official, Stormy is no longer a poodle 🤣🤣 LOL LOL I got him all trimmed up today and looking good… boy is he HANDSOME! 💕💕 He is the most laid back horse ever! He doesn’t mind having his face, ears, legs, whatever clipped.… if only I were a better clipper 😊

His dapples are coming out too ♥️♥️

A01A4AFE-7D75-439D-B0E9-CD8B9AF10635.jpeg

Thank you!! Really happy with what was under all that hair. I think she looks pretty good for only being in training about 2 months.
4 left to clip! But I'll spread them out over the next week or so.

Latest posts

Back